KH
Posted By
Ken Hall
Feb 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In CS, you can right click on the background layer and a menu pops up with "Layer via Copy" pops up. I use it constantly. It seems to be gone in CS2. Is there a way to do this in a similar way or must one go to the Layers menu, then New Layer then select it — a real PITA?

Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

E
edjh
Feb 9, 2006
Ken Hall wrote:
In CS, you can right click on the background layer and a menu pops up with "Layer via Copy" pops up. I use it constantly. It seems to be gone in CS2. Is there a way to do this in a similar way or must one go to the Layers menu, then New Layer then select it — a real PITA?
Ken
Do you have a selection active? I don’t have CS2 but noticed that it doesn’t appear unless there is an active selection. Anyway you can always try Ctrl-J.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
KH
Ken Hall
Feb 9, 2006
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:57:00 -0500, edjh wrote:

Do you have a selection active? I don’t have CS2 but noticed that it doesn’t appear unless there is an active selection.

Yes. I had a selection active.

Anyway you can always try Ctrl-J.

Yes, but us old guys begin to reach a limit on how many keyboard shortcuts we can remember. 😉

Ken
PP
Pod Press
Feb 9, 2006
On 2/8/06 8:34 PM, in article ,
"Ken Hall" ranted:

Ken

Go to the layers palette and click drag the layer you want copied over the new layer icon.

-V
J
John
Feb 9, 2006
"Pod Press" wrote in message
On 2/8/06 8:34 PM, in article ,
"Ken Hall" ranted:

Ken

Go to the layers palette and click drag the layer you want copied over the new layer icon.

-V

I think he wants to copy a selection only to a new layer, as in Cntl-C Cntl-V, rather than duplicate a whole layer.

John
Replace ‘nospam’ with ‘todnet’ when replying.
J
John
Feb 9, 2006
"Ken Hall" wrote in message

Do you have a selection active? I don’t have CS2 but noticed that it doesn’t appear unless there is an active selection.

Yes, but us old guys begin to reach a limit on how many keyboard shortcuts we can remember. 😉

Ken

Even though it is two keystrokes instead of one, Cntl-C Cntl-V is easier to remember because it is just about universal, and arguably quicker than right-mousing from the layer palette.

John
N
nomail
Feb 9, 2006
John wrote:

Ken

-V

I think he wants to copy a selection only to a new layer, as in Cntl-C Cntl-V, rather than duplicate a whole layer.

In that case, CNTL-J will do the trick much easier.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
J
John
Feb 9, 2006
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
John wrote:

In CS, you can right click on the background layer and a menu pops
up
with "Layer via Copy" pops up. I use it constantly. It seems to be gone in CS2. Is there a way to do this in a similar way or must one go to the Layers menu, then New Layer then select it — a real
PITA?
Ken

Go to the layers palette and click drag the layer you want copied over
the
new layer icon.

-V

In that case, CNTL-J will do the trick much easier.

Yes, you’re quire right of course. However, like the OP, I am memorially challenged 🙂

John
KH
Ken Hall
Feb 9, 2006
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:21:32 -0000, "John"
wrote:

Correct

Ken
D
Done
Feb 9, 2006
"John" wrote in message

Even though it is two keystrokes instead of one, Cntl-C Cntl-V is easier to
remember because it is just about universal, and arguably quicker than right-mousing from the layer palette.

If Cntl-C/V uses the system’s clipboard, then it adds considerably to overhead. If anyone cares.
N
nomail
Feb 9, 2006
Done wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Even though it is two keystrokes instead of one, Cntl-C Cntl-V is easier to
remember because it is just about universal, and arguably quicker than right-mousing from the layer palette.

If Cntl-C/V uses the system’s clipboard, then it adds considerably to overhead. If anyone cares.

It uses Photoshop’s own clipboard first. When you leave Photoshop, it’s tranferred to the system clipboard if possible. You may get the ‘Photoshop couldn’t export the clipboard because it was too big’ warning if you copy and paste entire layers.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
E
edjh
Feb 9, 2006
John wrote:
"Ken Hall" wrote in message

Ken

Even though it is two keystrokes instead of one, Cntl-C Cntl-V is easier to remember because it is just about universal, and arguably quicker than right-mousing from the layer palette.

John
Problem with that is it will place the pasted selection into the center of the canvas whereas Ctrl-J will place it in the same X-Y location it was copied from.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
J
John
Feb 10, 2006
"edjh" wrote in message

Problem with that is it will place the pasted selection into the center of the canvas whereas Ctrl-J will place it in the same X-Y location it was copied from.

Only if you deselect before copying. If you leave the selection in place, the location will be perserved.

John
J
John
Feb 10, 2006
"John" wrote in message
"edjh" wrote in message

Only if you deselect before copying. If you leave the selection in place, the location will be perserved.

Sorry – I of course meant "Only if you deselect before pasting" —
John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections