Posted By
Mac McDougald
Jul 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
By not using bitmap to begin with.
Bitmap mode is black/white only (no grayscale).
Why not simply save as grayscale to begin with?

Mac

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
John Slate
Jul 1, 2003
Yes, forget bitmap mode. Keep it grayscale. I am presuming that you mean bitmap MODE (which is not a grayscale) rather than bitmap FILE FORMAT (which may be a grayscale).

Then he will want to know how to color the file in Illy…

The trick there is to place the grayscale in Illy then make an unstroked box containing whatever color you want to color the photo with. Make that box the same size/position as the grayscale, send it to the back, then select both the box and the grayscale and make an opacity mask via the transparency flyout (making sure that "new opacity masks are inverted" is selected).

Otherwise, you can always convert your Grayscale to a color mode in Photoshop and Adjust>Hue/Saturation>check "colorize" and play with the sliders.
C
Cheesefood
Jul 1, 2003
The reason you don’t want use Bitmap is because it’s a binary form…meaning that a pixel is either black or white. There’s no gamut, simply a "Yes" or "No" regarding each pixel.

Grayscale allows shading of each pixel.
LI
Laith Ibrahim
Jul 2, 2003
Guys,
Thanks a lot. I found a good solution for my problem within your replies. Regards,
Laith

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections