P
Posted By
ParkWalk
Jan 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Something has happend to my Photoshop application. I can not get access to the Layer Styles for any layers. I try double clicking on the layer strip on the Palette area, or choose Layer Styles, Blending Options from the upper menu, and the Layer Styles box does not open up. Instead, the curser jumps over and highlights the "hand" tool in the tool palette. It is very bizzare. This has never happened before today. I tried rebooting, as well as reimstalling Photoshop, but to no avail. This is affecting both old and new images I try creating. No way to get to the Blending Options in the Layer Styles. I cannot find any report of this issue by searching the web. Any ideas? Thanks,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
ParkWalk
Jan 16, 2006
ParkWalk wrote:
Something has happend to my Photoshop application. I can not get access to the Layer Styles for any layers. I try double clicking on the layer strip on the Palette area, or choose Layer Styles, Blending Options from the upper menu, and the Layer Styles box does not open up. Instead, the curser jumps over and highlights the "hand" tool in the tool palette. It is very bizzare. This has never happened before today. I tried rebooting, as well as reimstalling Photoshop, but to no avail. This is affecting both old and new images I try creating. No way to get to the Blending Options in the Layer Styles. I cannot find any report of this issue by searching the web. Any ideas? Thanks,

Well….Problem solved. In continuing to cruise the web, I found a site recommending I trash the preference files, which would be reconstituted automatically upon restarting of Photoshop. I did, and it did. Fixed! Back to normal! Back to work! Whew! Wasted 4 unproductive hours on that one. Why doesnt Adobe have that answer pop up when typing "trouble" in the help file, or at least on their web site? Would save many people a lot a time and aggravation I am sure.
E
edjh
Jan 16, 2006
ParkWalk wrote:
ParkWalk wrote:

Well….Problem solved. In continuing to cruise the web, I found a site recommending I trash the preference files, which would be reconstituted automatically upon restarting of Photoshop. I did, and it did. Fixed! Back to normal! Back to work! Whew! Wasted 4 unproductive hours on that one. Why doesnt Adobe have that answer pop up when typing "trouble" in the help file, or at least on their web site? Would save many people a lot a time and aggravation I am sure.

It’s in the FAQs on the Adobe site.

Anyway, now you know. When Photoshop starts acting weird, trashing prefs often fixes things.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
K
KatWoman
Jan 16, 2006
"edjh" wrote in message
ParkWalk wrote:
ParkWalk wrote:

Anyway, now you know. When Photoshop starts acting weird, trashing prefs often fixes things.

it is by far the most popular solution to so many issues on this NG the second one being CAPS LOCK key to fix your brush preference display

Comics art for sale:
CJ
C J Southern
Jan 16, 2006
Not many people seem to know this, but the easiest way to reset the prefs file is to start photoshop and then IMMEDIATELY press control-alt-shift (as PS is starting up). (It’s safe to try as this produces a dialog box asking if you want to reset them).

I only use CS2 – not sure if this works with prior versions.
E
edjh
Jan 16, 2006
C J Southern wrote:
Not many people seem to know this, but the easiest way to reset the prefs file is to start photoshop and then IMMEDIATELY press control-alt-shift (as PS is starting up). (It’s safe to try as this produces a dialog box asking if you want to reset them).

I only use CS2 – not sure if this works with prior versions.
It does. Except on Mac where it’s Option-Command-Shift.

Comics art for sale:
N
noone
Jan 17, 2006
In article <NPTyf.72152$>,
says…
"edjh" wrote in message
ParkWalk wrote:
ParkWalk wrote:

it is by far the most popular solution to so many issues on this NG the second one being CAPS LOCK key to fix your brush preference display

Comics art for sale:

And, probably followed closely by the, "… I’ve got this image 640×480, and I want to do a high-rez 20’x 40′ poster, to be viewed at 5’… "

Hunt
K
KatWoman
Jan 17, 2006
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <NPTyf.72152$>,
says…
"edjh" wrote in message
ParkWalk wrote:
ParkWalk wrote:

Comics art for sale:

And, probably followed closely by the, "… I’ve got this image 640×480, and I
want to do a high-rez 20’x 40′ poster, to be viewed at 5’… "
Hunt

we do the impossible for the ungrateful……………….
P
ParkWalk
Jan 18, 2006
Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate the help very much. Funny….the comment about Caps Lock affecting my tool. I just came back to check this thread, because I am now having exactly this issue. My tools all just show themselves as an exact point, rather than showing the tool image, and showing the size of the brush for example. I trashed all prefs….uninstalled and reinstalled…all the no avail. Until, that is, I came back here and read your helpful tip about turning off the caps lock. All my tools are back to normal. My thanks again to all!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections