JF
Posted By
Jody_Free
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PS 7. The graphic that I am working with comes from our architect and it is a jpeg usually around 100 res with the size at about 30" x 30". I open it in PS to reduce the size save it as a tif. When either I print it out in PS or place it in PageMaker 7 in a document and print it the image comes out blurry. However, if I place the original jpeg graphic into PageMaker and print it, then it prints out perfect. I can open the original jpeg in PS and before I save it print it and it still prints out blurry. So my question therefore is what is PS doing to my graphic when I open it. I can’t find anything in the preferences that gives me any ideas as to what the problem is. Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 25, 2004
Jody, if you are reducing it to save space, you are also losing detail. Try this:

Open in PS and go to Image>Image Size, and then reduce it to whatever final size, while unchecking the Resample box. What resolution do you see? For inkjet you should be at 240 to 300dpi. Much less and you will see a loss of detail.

If your graphic is 30×30 at 72 dpi, an image at 240 dpi will be 9"x9".
JF
Jody_Free
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks Lawrence!! Prints out great now – I don’t know exactly what resampling does, but I know I’ll be turning it off from now on. 🙂
SJ
sandy_johnson
Feb 26, 2004
Resampling, quite simply, adds in or subtracts pixel information to force the image to the size you specify. Adding what doesn’t exist (by essentially duplicating or averaging neighboring pixels) results in a blurry image. Ditto for downsampling.

Unchecking resampling will give adjust the canvas size and dpi proportionately so the pixel information and file size stays the same. ie: 4×4" at 100dpi is equal to 2×2" at 200dpi is equal to 1×1" at 400dpi. You get the jist?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections