May 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS CS
System: Homebuilt P4 2.8C w/2 gb RAM
Wacom Intuos 2 (driver version 4.78-6)

Often when I use my polygonal lasso tool and the Wacom tablet the cursor will jump to completion before I have completed the process. It can be very irritating on a complex lasso project when you’re half finished and it jumps to the starting point and completes the selected area prematurely. Anyone have a clue what is causing this? It isn’t repeatable, but sometimes occurs several times in a row.
I had the same problem on PS7 and several previous Wacom driver versions.

I also have a USB MS trackball connected on this system, but the two have coexisted perfectly to date.

To reply, nix "nix" in address.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
edjh
May 17, 2004
Bob Davis wrote:
PS CS

Often when I use my polygonal lasso tool and the Wacom tablet the cursor will jump to completion before I have completed the process. It can be very irritating on a complex lasso project when you’re half finished and it jumps to the starting point and completes the selected area prematurely. Anyone have a clue what is causing this? It isn’t repeatable, but sometimes occurs several times in a row.
I also have a USB MS trackball connected on this system, but the two have coexisted perfectly to date.
You aren’t hitting Enter or Return by mistake are you?

Rather than using a lasso for complex selections why not use the Pen instead and save yourself a headache.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
DK
David Kershaw
May 17, 2004
"Bob Davis" wrote in message
PS CS

Often when I use my polygonal lasso tool and the Wacom tablet the cursor will jump to completion before I have completed the process. It can be
very
irritating on a complex lasso project when you’re half finished and it
jumps
to the starting point and completes the selected area prematurely. Anyone have a clue what is causing this? It isn’t repeatable, but sometimes
occurs
several times in a row.

You are possibly running the stylus out of the Wacom tablet work area or lifting the stylus from the work pad?
M
me
May 17, 2004
"David Kershaw" wrote in message
PS CS

Often when I use my polygonal lasso tool and the Wacom tablet the cursor will jump to completion before I have completed the process. It can be
very
jumps
to the starting point and completes the selected area prematurely.
Anyone
have a clue what is causing this? It isn’t repeatable, but sometimes
occurs
several times in a row.
I had the same problem on PS7 and several previous Wacom driver
versions.
I also have a USB MS trackball connected on this system, but the two
have
coexisted perfectly to date.

You are possibly running the stylus out of the Wacom tablet work area or lifting the stylus from the work pad?

That happens to me when I use the mouse — I don’t use a tablet — it may be that the tool is very sensitive. It seems that I don’t have to double click in order for the selection to close so I have to be careful.
BD
Bob Davis
May 18, 2004
"David Kershaw" wrote in message

PS CS

very
jumps
to the starting point and completes the selected area prematurely.
Anyone
have a clue what is causing this? It isn’t repeatable, but sometimes
occurs
several times in a row.
I had the same problem on PS7 and several previous Wacom driver
versions.
I also have a USB MS trackball connected on this system, but the two
have
coexisted perfectly to date.

As for the first suggestion, the stylus remains in the work area. For the second, yes, the stylus is lifted, which is the nature of the polygonal lasso to lift it from point to point.
F
Frank
May 18, 2004
It could be that you have the sensitivity of the pen tool for Double clicking set too high. In the control panel for the Wacom tablet, click on i2 grip pen and the double click control tab. Play with the settings there to adjust the sensitivity. You can always set it back to the default out of the box setting if you can’t get it right. The default settings are pretty sensitive. The other thing that you might be doing is hitting the button on the sidr of the pen which does the same thing. The button is easily removable and in the box it came with should be an extra silicon sleeve that replaces the standard one to cover up the hole. Don’t forget that if several people use the same tablet that you can save your settings so you don’t have to go through the rigmarole customising every setting each time you use it. have fun!
Frank S. from Australia.

PS CS

very
BD
Bob Davis
May 19, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions. First, it was set to the default, which is about 3/4 toward "slow" and 2 pixels. What would be a good starting point, more pixels? Faster double-click speed? Also, there is a check mark on the left side of that section. What does that do?

Also, double-clicking with the pen doesn’t make the selection close as it does by hitting Enter, or randomly as described. Why would the double-click sensitivity affect this?

"Frank" wrote in message
It could be that you have the sensitivity of the pen tool for Double clicking set too high. In the control panel for the Wacom tablet, click on i2 grip pen and the double click control tab. Play with the settings there to adjust the sensitivity. You can always set it back to the default out
of
the box setting if you can’t get it right. The default settings are pretty sensitive. The other thing that you might be doing is hitting the button
on
the sidr of the pen which does the same thing. The button is easily removable and in the box it came with should be an extra silicon sleeve
that
replaces the standard one to cover up the hole. Don’t forget that if
several
people use the same tablet that you can save your settings so you don’t
have
to go through the rigmarole customising every setting each time you use
it.
have fun!
Frank S. from Australia.

PS CS

very
F
Frank
May 19, 2004
Bob,
Although I have customized some settings, my double click is at the default settings. You really need to experiment with your tablet and pen because it really depends on you individually rather than the "best settings". ie, how you hold the pen, how hard you press, how quickly you move etc etc.

So far as the pixel distance, 2 pixels is a good setting. It means that when you double click the two taps need to be within 2 pixels of each other. If you increase the distance you are more likely to get false and annoying double clicks. Wacom recommend NOT using the pen tip to double click for this reason, instead using the top part of the duo switch. In PShop I tend to use the switch and in other programs, word, IExplorer etc I tend to double click.

The quicker the double click speed the less likely that you get false double clicks. Its really up to how fast you tap the pen, whatever is comfortable.

Also, double-clicking with the pen doesn’t make the selection close as it does by hitting Enter, or randomly as described. Why would the
double-click
sensitivity affect this?
I am not sure what you mean, unless there is a problem with your pen. When using the polygonal tool you can close the loop by a double click tap with the pen, or by using the duo switch whilst the pen tip is in contact with the pad. I can understand the frustration if the loop closes inadvertently. A tip that works for me is to do the selection in smaller bites and add to it progressively this way if the loop closes you can undo/Crtl Z and redo it. This way you can also save a partly done selection when you need a break and come back to it later. I have had this happen with very fine detail stuff with straight lines where you tend to tap the pen fairly quickly. If so increase the speed in settings so a "dot dot dot" doesn’t get recorded as a double click – although chances are it will still happen occaisionally.

I am not sure what the check mark on the left does, it has something to do with using your custom settings. I have it ticked.
Regards
Frank S. from Australia.

Thanks for the suggestions. First, it was set to the default, which is
about 3/4 toward "slow" >and 2 pixels. What would be a good starting point,
more pixels? Faster double-click speed? Also, there is a check mark on
the left side of that >section. What does that do?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections