SF
Posted By
Scott_Falkner
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I, and a few other people where I work, have a huge problem, that I am calling a bug in either Photoshop 6 or Windows 2000 (and one of those id infamous for bugs).

If I create a file in Photoshop, or Save as from an existing file (say, to save a TIFF from a JPEG) to a network directory, the file I make only allows me to access it. Other users can only see it, but cannot place, copy, or open it. If I place the file in a QuarkXPress layout, they cannot print the image. I need to get the file’s properties in Windows Explorer, then change the Security setting to allow Everyone access to the file.

This doesn’t happen often, but it happens enough that it is becoming more than a colossal nuisance. The worst thing is that the message user’s get is wrong — they are told the file is locked, but that is not the case. Worse than that is that the user is not told who has access to the file and can make the necessary changes, so we often have to go from station to station figuring out who’s file it is. Got help us if we need the file today, but the owner isn’t available.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GH
Grass_Hopper
Feb 24, 2004
Scott,

from what I understand, you should never save to a network drive.

Copy the file from the network drive, edit etc, save locally and THEN copy it to the network drive.

You shouldn’t have any issues with locked files etc if you use this method.

hth,
gh
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 24, 2004
I will try this, but I do not look forward to the several steps this adds when I need to work on several images. I do hope this bug has been corrected in versions 7 or 8. I will be gettign the full CS soon.
P
Phosphor
Feb 24, 2004
God thing you mispelt you’re sware werd, Scot.

Ewe mite half gooten baned.
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 24, 2004
Yes, it’s fixed in Photoshop CS.

-Scott
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 24, 2004
Scott (Byer), so it’s OK to save across a network now (with CS)?

Nick
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 25, 2004
No, saving across a network is always a bad idea.

It’s just the permissions issue that is fixed.
ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 25, 2004
Thanks, Chris.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 25, 2004
Chris,

Your answer begs the question as to whether or not you would therefore dissuade folks from using Version Cue with Photoshop CS…….
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 25, 2004
Version Cue is the only supported way of saving files over the network.

-Scott

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections