DM
Posted By
Darren_Moyer
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was in the process of renaming all my photos in Photoshop 7 and some of the files are renamed but 85 percent of them are not and i cant read them now. They are not Jpeg files no more. now it just says "File". Can someone please help. these are very treasured family photos and i cant dare loose them. I renemaed them in the file browser. I think i started with 4 digit numbers. Actually, im not really sure what i did.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Feb 24, 2004
sounds like you deleted the extentions. they still ARE really jpgs, but there’s no extention. 2 choices. open them one at a time usng File> Open As and select jpg, then save them out again (not recommended because resaving jpg’s drops quality) OR get a renming program and add the extentions back… you can do them one at a time in windows explorer or get something like this:

<http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therenamea.phtml>

it’s a free renaming program i use all the time (on another forum member’s recomendation) called "The Rename".

you can easily select all the files, then readd the extention without actually opening and resaving the images (thus saving the quality).

hth, dave
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 24, 2004
Or…

You can use Photoshops File Browser to batch rename the files, by right clicking and filling in the batch dialog. It would read from left to right and you would put:

Document Name: from the dropdown box
Jpg: manually typed into the second box

That will rename all highlighted files to Jpg extension keeping the first part of the file name in tact.

NOTE: It will not convert them to JPGs; this assumes the file type is really a mis-named JPG.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 24, 2004
cool tony. btw darren, tony’s the guy who recommended The Rename to me! 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections