JW
Posted By
jim_willson
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
whenever I copy an area and attempt to paste it somewhere on the drawing, Photoshop 6.0 makes a new layer and indicates the original layer is linked, so I can’t even select it for editing. Photoshop didn’t used to do this. I used to be able to paste the clipboard anywhere on the original layer and drag it around with the pointer (arrow) tool, but no more. I couldn’t find any switches in Preferences to make it stop doing this.

— jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 24, 2004
Starting with PS 6, pasting will automatically create a new layer.

Once you have positioned the pasted image where you want, you can merge the pasted layer with the one underneat

To unlink a layer, simply click on the little chain icon next to the linked layers (in the layers palette)

To move a layer, simply select the move tool (top right hand tool in the tool palette)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections