TD
Posted By
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yep, you need to create a action, then you can run this as a batch file.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DC
despam.c.street
Jul 3, 2003
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:44:18 GMT, wrote:

I would like to upload some of my photos to my web site. Most of the images are huge, both in resolution and file size.
Shrinking images down to a more web friendly 400×300 with a high ammount of compression is easy to do with photoshop but not in large quantities.
Or is there? Is there some way to batch process this sort of job? If not within Photoshop perhaps there is another product on the market.

Many thanks for any help.

PS
I have V7 of PS.

I like polyview from www.polybytes.com Dunno if you can replicate this in PS – I just use it as I know it and it does all I need. —
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.
In Warwick – looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.
DC
despam.c.street
Jul 3, 2003

I would like to upload some of my photos to my web site. Most of the images are huge, both in resolution and file size.
Shrinking images down to a more web friendly 400×300 with a high ammount of compression is easy to do with photoshop but not in large quantities.
Or is there? Is there some way to batch process this sort of job? If not within Photoshop perhaps there is another product on the market.

PS
I have V7 of PS.

I like polyview from www.polybytes.com Dunno if you can replicate this in PS – I just use it as I know it and it does all I need. —
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.
In Warwick – looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 3, 2003
wrote in news:3mn6gvsine8rkt7jq19r89vtfhmcaktki0@
4ax.com:

Or is there? Is there some way to batch process this sort of job?

Oh, yes. A very easy yet poweful feature. Look up "Automate" in your user’s manual.

<snip>
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 3, 2003
wrote in news:3mn6gvsine8rkt7jq19r89vtfhmcaktki0@
4ax.com:

Oh, yes. A very easy yet poweful feature. Look up "Automate" in your user’s manual.

<snip>
LE
Lawrence Elliott
Jul 3, 2003
I have done some work on Photoshop 7.0 Scripting for out camera club. You may like to look at www.pyle-porthcawl-ps.co.uk > Digital Section > Photoshop Tutorials > Scripting. The web page gives an explanation of what scripting is and what it’s used for. It give details of the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 downloads required for using scripting as well as a demonstration script for resizing images in a folder and a Visual Basic Program which can be used to write your own resizing scripts.

PS
I have V7 of PS.

Regards
Lawrence Elliott (Laurie)
Bridgend
South Wales UK

Web http://www.softell.co.uk
LE
Lawrence Elliott
Jul 3, 2003
I have done some work on Photoshop 7.0 Scripting for out camera club. You may like to look at www.pyle-porthcawl-ps.co.uk > Digital Section > Photoshop Tutorials > Scripting. The web page gives an explanation of what scripting is and what it’s used for. It give details of the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 downloads required for using scripting as well as a demonstration script for resizing images in a folder and a Visual Basic Program which can be used to write your own resizing scripts.

PS
I have V7 of PS.

Regards
Lawrence Elliott (Laurie)
Bridgend
South Wales UK

Web http://www.softell.co.uk
M
Mathias
Jul 4, 2003
Just use the Web-galery function to reduce the resolution to whatever you need.

skrev i meddelandet

PS
I have V7 of PS.
M
Mathias
Jul 4, 2003
Just use the Web-galery function to reduce the resolution to whatever you need.

skrev i meddelandet

PS
I have V7 of PS.
J
jwilliams1454
Jul 21, 2003
J
jwilliams1454
Jul 21, 2003
I need to optimize several thousand images but after running the batch operation on 337 files Photoshop stops. I have tried both PS 6 & 7 with the same results. There is 20 GB available on the drive so that cannot be the problem. Can I get PS to process several thousand files? Why does it stop at 337?
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 21, 2003
Are you using the batch dialog or a droplet?

I don’t have an answer since my batch sizes are around 200, but we run 1500-3000 images per day. But I do recall an issue with droplets here in the forum, that’s why I asked.

The only workaround I can figure is the obvious – breaking them into groups into separate folders, but that’s a PITA.

Peace,
Tony
J
jwilliams1454
Jul 21, 2003
Same problem with both batch dialog and droplet.

Not sure how breaking them into separate folders will help. Is there a way to run them sequentially?
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 21, 2003
Well, by breaking them into separate folders, you overcome the apparent "no of files" limit by having directories with no more than say, 300 images.

As far as running them sequentially, I’ve never tried it but one thing I would investigate is whether or not you can create an action that calls the batch dialog, several times. It would go like this:

Single action that calls batch dialog – call it Sequential Batch Dialog. The settings for that action put all the specifics in such as Action to Run, Source, Destination, etc.; Then, included in the Sequential Batch Dialog Action, is the same thing, with different settings for Action to Run, Source, Destination, etc.

If you set up your folders the same way, it’s easy to make an action that calls the batch dialog to process "resize and save" from folder one, then the next run would be "resize and save" from folder two, etc.

As I say, I’ve never "chained" batch dialogs before, but that’s the only thing that I can think of unless someone can verify that there is no "no. of files" limit and that there’s something else going on.

Peace,
Tony
RW
Russell Williams
Jul 21, 2003
wrote in message

There are two straightforward ways:
1. Use Web Photo Gallery and copy the resulting JPEG files, ignoring the html file.

2. Use the batch facility in Photoshop (File->Automate->Batch). To do this,
* make a new blank document (size doesn’t matter,
but smaller will make the next steps faster).
* Record an action with the following steps:
* Image Size (with parameters set to the size you want your images) * Save For Web (set appropriate parameters here).
* close (if you get a "save changes" prompt, click no.

In the "save for web" step, specify the destination folder where you want the images to end up, but DON’T CHANGE THE FILE NAME. Just let it save as "untitled-1"
or whatever it already is. Save For Web will create smaller files than using "save as" JPEG, because it omits some of the non-image data that Photoshop normally saves with file.

Now run the batch:
Input=folder (containing your source images, of course)
Check "suppress color mismatch dialogs"
Output=none

You can even record this batch command as a separate action so you don’t have to remember the parameters next time, and you can assign an FKEY to that action so you can kick off the whole process with a single keystroke

Or you can use ImageReady.

Finally, you may wish to separate your images into vertical and horizontal compositions and have different actions for them, because you may want to specify different image
sizes for portrait and landscape images.

Russell Williams
not speaking for Adobe Systems
RW
Russell Williams
Jul 21, 2003
wrote in message

There are two straightforward ways:
1. Use Web Photo Gallery and copy the resulting JPEG files, ignoring the html file.

2. Use the batch facility in Photoshop (File->Automate->Batch). To do this,
* make a new blank document (size doesn’t matter,
but smaller will make the next steps faster).
* Record an action with the following steps:
* Image Size (with parameters set to the size you want your images) * Save For Web (set appropriate parameters here).
* close (if you get a "save changes" prompt, click no.

In the "save for web" step, specify the destination folder where you want the images to end up, but DON’T CHANGE THE FILE NAME. Just let it save as "untitled-1"
or whatever it already is. Save For Web will create smaller files than using "save as" JPEG, because it omits some of the non-image data that Photoshop normally saves with file.

Now run the batch:
Input=folder (containing your source images, of course)
Check "suppress color mismatch dialogs"
Output=none

You can even record this batch command as a separate action so you don’t have to remember the parameters next time, and you can assign an FKEY to that action so you can kick off the whole process with a single keystroke

Or you can use ImageReady.

Finally, you may wish to separate your images into vertical and horizontal compositions and have different actions for them, because you may want to specify different image
sizes for portrait and landscape images.

Russell Williams
not speaking for Adobe Systems
T
tennisnut6
Sep 8, 2003
Hi,

I’m trying to use PhotoShop’s batch processing feature to resize a bunch of images to thumbnails. The problem is that when I save the resized images, I need to add "_th" on to the file name to differentiate them from their full size counterpart.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions!
WS
Warren Sarle
Sep 8, 2003
"TennisNut6" wrote in message
I’m trying to use PhotoShop’s batch processing feature to resize a bunch
of
images to thumbnails. The problem is that when I save the resized images,
I
need to add "_th" on to the file name to differentiate them from their
full
size counterpart. Is there a way to do this?

Not that I’ve ever been able to find. You could do it with Irfanview (which is free). If you have to use Photoshop, you’ll need to download the scripting
plug-in from the Adobe site and write a script to do it, which is also free but a lot more work.
J
john
Sep 8, 2003
In article ,
(TennisNut6) wrote:

Hi,

I’m trying to use PhotoShop’s batch processing feature to resize a bunch of images to thumbnails. The problem is that when I save the resized images, I need to add "_th" on to the file name to differentiate them from their full size counterpart.

Is there a way to do this?

I’m puzzled. In my PS, it is very clear that this is a normal feature. In the Batch dialog is a file naming feature where you can do what you like, including adding "_th" (for example) before or after the file name or extension and much more. What version of PS are you using?
WS
Warren Sarle
Sep 8, 2003
"J Stafford" wrote in message

I’m puzzled. In my PS, it is very clear that this is a normal feature. In the Batch dialog is a file naming feature where you can do what you like, including adding "_th" (for example) before or after the file name or extension and much more. What version of PS are you using?

Well that’s interesting. Using PS7, I get a long drop-down list of info to put in the file names, but it won’t let me simply type text in those fields.

Maybe it’s time to delete my preferences again.
JS
John Stafford
Sep 8, 2003
Warren Sarle wrote:

Well that’s interesting. Using PS7, I get a long drop-down list of info to put in the file names, but it won’t let me simply type text in those fields.

Maybe it’s time to delete my preferences again.

Here’s a screen shot to show what it should look like:
http://wind.winona.edu/~stafford/tmp.jpg

(Works in V6 and V7)
T
tennisnut6
Sep 8, 2003
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I also thought it should be available in that section but it wouldn’t let me type in "_th". However in doing some research, I found I was able to do it with "Batch Renaming" in the file browser which makes me think I should be able to do it from the regular Batch Processing window.

I will try again.

Thanks
J
john
Sep 9, 2003
In article ,
(TennisNut6) wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I also thought it should be available in that section but it wouldn’t let me type in "_th". However in doing some research, I found I was able to do it with "Batch Renaming" in the file browser which makes me think I should
be able
to do it from the regular Batch Processing window.

Wow. Well, you can see in my example, I could type in _th. Leave out the quotes, of course.
WS
Warren Sarle
Sep 9, 2003
"J Stafford" wrote in message
In article ,
(TennisNut6) wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I also thought it should be available in that section but it
wouldn’t let
me type in "_th". However in doing some research, I found I was able to
do it
with "Batch Renaming" in the file browser which makes me think I should
be able
to do it from the regular Batch Processing window.

Wow. Well, you can see in my example, I could type in _th. Leave out the quotes, of course.

I can type in stuff now that I’ve deleted preferences yet again. I suppose the sensible thing would be to have Windows replace the preferences file with a fresh copy every time I boot.
T
tennisnut6
Sep 9, 2003
Thanks John, it does work for me now. I don’t know what the problem was.

One more question. During the batch process, it stops and displays jpg options for every file, even though I specified all of that in my actions.

Is there a way to not have to answer "OK" for every file that’s being processed?

Thanks again!
WS
Warren Sarle
Sep 9, 2003
"TennisNut6" wrote in message
One more question. During the batch process, it stops and displays jpg
options
for every file, even though I specified all of that in my actions.
Is there a way to not have to answer "OK" for every file that’s being processed?

Before recording the action, open some junk image, and do a "Save As", being careful to make all the settings *different* from the ones you really want to use. Then when you record the action, be careful to explicitly set *all* the options.
T
tennisnut6
Sep 12, 2003
Before recording the action, open some junk image, and do a "Save As", being careful to make all the settings *different* from the ones you really want to use. Then when you record the action, be careful to explicitly set *all* the options.

Thanks very much Warren, I’ll give that a try.
BQ
Brian Quigley
Sep 23, 2003
Is there any way that I can apply auto-enhancing features such as color/saturation, lighting/contrast auto-fixes to all images in a folder at the same time? I was able to rename, resize, and reformat with batch processing, but I would like to do a color/lighting fix as well. Any ideas?
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 23, 2003
There is no feature for that built into Elements. In Photoshop you can create custom actions for that sort of thing.

Rich
SB
Stephanie Boore
Sep 23, 2003
I am trying to process images for my web site. I have set up all the actions and added all the steps, but when I use the "save for web" export command, all my files are being named the same thing prod1_lg.jpg. What I want is to have _lg.jpg appended to the original file names, prod1.jpg, prod2. jpg, etc. If I use the override option, my images get lossy since it is just doing a save as, not a save for web.

What am I doing wrong?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 23, 2003
Stephanie,

my images get lossy since it is just doing a save as, not a save for web.

Save for Web does not prevent Lossy compression. If you save the files as JPG, no matter which method you use, there is lossy compression. One is not better than the other in that regard.

But to your problem…

Save for Web has an automatic limitation on the length of the file name. When you take a file name that is greater than this value (25 chars ??) SFW truncates the file name. I’d bet that’s why it’s trying to overwrite your files on batch save.

When your file names are smaller than that limit, you can easily use the SFW in an action. You record the params for SFW, make sure the dialog is toggled off. When you do File|automate|Batch, make sure to check the box that says "Override Save As Information" and add your "_LG" to the second box in the naming section.

To bypass this "limitation" in the file name, go to the SFW dialog. There’s a triangle on the right hand side near the Settings drop down box. Click that and choose Edit Output Settings. Then you click the Next button until you get to Saving Files. Uncheck the Unix compatabilty box.

Then the files won’t have a length limitation. BE WARNED however, that there ARE limitations on some servers in regards to the length of the file name so you or your visitors may not get the results you expect.

Peace,
Tony
RL
Richard Lynch
Sep 24, 2003
There is a free batch processing add-in on Adobe Studio Exchange. Feel free to ask me for enhancements.

< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseSubmit.asp?d=164028&am p;dn=Richard+Lynch>
K
kthan
Oct 21, 2003
Hi,

I got some questions about batch processing at Photoshop 7.01. I have several image files and want to edit them into 450 x 477 pixels. Is there anyway I can do it by using "batch processing," not just one by one? If yes, would the picture quality the same?

Another question is: if I download the image(s) from the web site, is there a way I can save not only picture, but also text, as well. The only way I know is to save as ms word file. I think I might do with Acrobat (since it is integrated in IE 6, but wonder if I can edit the font the way I wanted. Or, can I do it at photoshop? Even if I save the web page in word file first, is there any degradation of the picture quality?

Thank you for your help in advance.
K
kthan
Oct 22, 2003
Hi,

I got some questions about batch processing at Photoshop 7.01. I have several image files and want to edit them into 450 x 477 pixels. Is there anyway I can do it by using "batch processing," not just one by one? If yes, would the picture quality the same?

Another question is: What would be the best way to save the web page (image + text) for future uploading into another web page? So far, I used MS word because I can easily edit the text. But, I am not sure about the image quality after I edited with Photoshop. I think I might do with Acrobat (since it is integrated in IE 6, but wonder if I can edit the font the way I wanted. Or, can I do it at photoshop? For both image editing and text editing imported from a web page, then go to photoshop before uploading, which way would be the best?

Thank you for your help in advance.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 22, 2003
KThan,

Yes, you can batch process a series of images into the size you specified, by creating an action that performs the resizing and then calling out that action in the batch dialog. Generally speaking, the picture quality will be the same if you are downsizing the images, but it may worsen if you are enlarging the images. Also, if the source images are JPEGs that you resave again as JPEGs, then you may worsen the picture quality through the 2nd compression. If you need to resave as JPEGs, just make sure the compression is low (JPEG quality is high) to help minimize compression artifacts. Having said that, I’m guessing your needs are oriented toward images for the web, so you may not really notice any significant change in quality. That is, a printed image will show more degration in quality than viewing them on a monitor would.

The images used in a web page are not part of the web page itself, but rather are just linked objects. However, the text is part of the web page. So, the best way to save a simple, single web page is probably to keep all files defining that page in a single directory (HTML files, JPEGs, GIFs, etc.). If you were building a more structured website, you might instead have one folder for HTML files, another for images, etc.

If you edit an image in Photoshop, and use that image in a web page that you created using Word, then nothing you do in Word should affect the quality of the actual image file. However, it is possible that you might specify a different formatting of the image within Word that may cause the image to look worse. For example, if you scaled the displayed image at 200% of its original size, then it may well look worse in Word than the actual image does at true 100% scale in Photoshop.

Photoshop has text entry capabilities, but none of a sort that lend themselves well to creating web pages. Ultimately, any text added in Photoshop to an image will be considered part of the image itself when that image is saved for use elsewhere.

If I understand you correctly, what you may be doing is saving a web page inclusive of all graphics, then editing the page for uploading to replace the original? If so, then you can continue to use Word as you are for editing the textual content of the web page and likewise you can use Photoshop to edit your images. One thing to be aware of if you are in fact uploading the files back to a website to replace the original files, is that the files as saved locally to your system are probably organized differently.

If you save a web page from IE6, it typically saves the web page itself as the file <web page name>.htm with all graphics for that page then saved in a related folder "<web page name>_files". While you can edit the HTML file in Word, the links to the graphics will point to the folder that was created. On the actual website, the graphics are most likely is some other folder or perhaps even at the same level as the HTML file itself. So, if you upload your HTML file to replace the original, you’ll find that the links to all your graphics are quite likely incorrect. Ultimately what all this means is that it is best to establish a local directory structure where you save web page files and graphics that duplicates the same structure used by the website.

Note, Acrobat is not integrated with IE6. At best, you are probably referring to Acrobat Reader (Adobe Reader) which can be used as an embedded viewer of PDF files in IE6. But, the Reader application cannot be used for editing files.

I hope that all makes sense and at least covers most of your questions.

Regards,

Daryl
L
LenHewitt
Oct 22, 2003
Kthan,

I have moved your duplicate topic to join this one. Please only post one topic for one problem. Not only will that make it far easier for you to locate the relevant replies, but also has the added advantage of avoiding upsetting the natives…
D
dhcarter
Oct 23, 2003
In Photoshop 6 one could perform a batch process of an action to the contents of a folder containing jpeg’s and walk away and let it go using the save and close feature of the batch. When you try to do this in Photoshop 7 it stops at every picture and asks what kind of quality you want to save in. This is a pain. Is there any way to get 7 to behave like 6 in this reguard. I don’t want to babysit the process.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 24, 2003
Dh,

it stops at every picture and asks what kind of quality you want to save in.

You set up your action to include a Save As. Then you toggle the dialog for that step to OFF. In the batch dialog, you make sure and check the Override Save As information box. Then you don’t have to babysit anything.

Peace,
Tony
LC
Louis_Calogero
Nov 7, 2003
Wanting to change the resolution of some photos— copies of course— for email I used "batch’ command.Opened the files>convert image size,(left blank Width-Height)>resolution=72,(did not Rename files),destination="my pictures",>OK.
When I re-opened the files I found that the resolution(s) had not changed from thier original values.I repeated the excercise 3 or 4 time with the same results.I’m certain I’m missing something here.SOS!
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 7, 2003
Have you been able to do this before? Judging from your post, I can’t see what you did wrong.

You might try deleting the Preference folder to see if that clears it up. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a quick grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes.

Now at the risk of creating another storm, I’d like to suggest that instead of changing the resolution you change the image size instead. If you want to e-mail pictures and have them be easily viewable, the size in pixels is more important than the resolution. A width of 600 is usually a safe one, and then let the height default to whatever it comes up as with Constrain Proportions checked.

If you want to e-mail these pictures to someone who might want to print them, you should send them at a higher resolution anyway. I’m sure other people will weigh in. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post back and let us know if deleting the Preferences worked. If it didn’t we’ll have to come up with a better idea.
LC
Louis_Calogero
Nov 9, 2003
Beth H.
Oh Boy! Tried the "Quick Grab",and got this—"Scratch Disk Preferences?"I perused the references and I now have an understanding of "scratch-disk";which is to say ,I have no idea .
I just got back from a very intense 6 hour class re Elements,and I posed the same ? to the instructor(this guy got his first computer in 1970).He told me this–Size does matter,but–so does rez–so we smallered an image and sent it.Everything OK,but the same ? came up; Why can’t I do this using the "batch command?".We tried the command on the classroom computers,and it worked just fine. He reviewed my work flow and said it was appropriate. Sooo,the ? remains.
OT–I Learned a technique referred to as "glamorizing",(OMG),which involves Gaussian Blurring in a layer ,and then using the eraser tool to do away with some of the blurring.Very sriking effect.I’m thinking of using this to make me look 60 again.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 9, 2003
Did you ever delete the Preference folder like I suggested? What you want to do clearly works on another computer, which leaves open the chance there’s a corruption in the Preference folder on yours. This isn’t at all uncommon, although no one has come up with a good explanation about the cause.
LC
Louis_Calogero
Nov 9, 2003
Beth:
I tried to delete The Pref folder as you suggested,with the "Quick Grab",and as I said,I got the "scratch disk preferences" thingie.
OMG; "corruption";"not at at all uncommon"; "no good explanation",???.
I think it is time for hot chocolate,a big brownie,and tuck into bed.Winter here in Wisconia is starting waaay to soon. AM this morn=16 Degrees F.
PS–I am proposing a change in nomenclature for some of the "traditional" digital terminology,- for those of us (30%-40%) of households) who now own digital cameras;— let us try this."Resolution"should be replaced with this term,–"density". This suggestion is based on the fact that the term "resolution" has a multitude of meanings,few of which have(has) anything to do with an understanding of the digital processing of images.It is the density of pixels which matters. Also,the so-called "image size",is a great mystery to most novices–me included.It should be rightly called"Content"–that is ,how many pixels are we dealing with?
LC
Louis_Calogero
Nov 9, 2003
Beth:
Never had it happened before,but I got dumped off of the forum. Maybe my treatise is too radical.I attended an 8 hour class on PE2 today,and, newbie as I am,I was still able to help a few folks thru some of the basics of PE2 .
The thing that most folks said was this—"Image Size","Dimensions","Resolution"?? What is this all about? And it hit me–These terms are not reality for the 35-40% of the households whom now have digital cameras! So I tried to say;Image Size is nothing more than the Content in terms of pixels;Resolution is the Density of those pixels; and the Dimension(s),is simply how the pixels are arrayed,(WxH).Why can’t we dump those out -of-date terms? and just say that an image has a content of X number of pixels,with a density of X pixels per,arrayed in particular format .
I have a feeling that this is far too simplistic and that I have over stepped my brain -freeze again.
F
franjo
Dec 9, 2003
Hi all

Due to amount of pics mounting up I’m trying to catalogue all into different categories on different cd’s. I’ve "batched" re-named/numbered one disc but would now like to add some more photos to same disc and have all the numbers running consecutively – is this possible?

regards
fran

apologies, submitted this in error on the tail end of a previous query of mine, so will appear twice – a touch of keyboard madness ๐Ÿ™‚
PL
Paul_L_UK
Dec 10, 2003
Edited – did not read the edit.
B
Bruce
Apr 24, 2004
Hi Everybody:

I know this is a rather easy answer for someone, because I actually used to know how to do this myself, and I remember that it was easy, but I forget how to do it.

I think there is more than one way to "skin this cat" so to speak, with and without using "actions"

whatever is easier…

OK…
Lets say I have downloaded some 40 different samples of textures to be used in Lightwave, small swatches of .bmp’s that look like little pictures of marble, steel, wood, water, clouds, and so on.
Just that the format was .bmp, and to use them in Lightwave they all have to be .tga (targa) files.
So, instead of me opening every single .bmp, then going to "Save As" and then saving each one as a .tga, I’m pretty sure there is a way to change the whole file of 40 from .bmp to .tga without having to go through each one individually. I think it’s called "Batch Processing" …

How would I do this?

Thanks You in advance….
Bruce
JA
Jonathan_Allen__Ph.D.
Apr 26, 2004
The Batch function allows one to put several pictures through the same format changes. If I have several pictures which require, say, the same brightness and contrast adjustments, or the same cropping, is there an alternative to processing each image separately?
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 27, 2004
No there isn’t. That would be available through full PS by running an action, but PSE doesn’t have that capability.
J
jhjl1
Apr 27, 2004
Yes, well sort of. If you make your adjustments with layers you can drag the adjustment layer from the first image to all other images that need the same adjustment. This won’t help with the crop though.

Have A Nice Day, ๐Ÿ™‚
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
The Batch function allows one to put several pictures through the same
format changes. If I have several pictures which require, say, the same brightness and contrast adjustments, or the same cropping, is there an alternative to processing each image separately?
DF
DUN_FERMLINE
Jul 25, 2004
I have several hundred JPEG files which I want to convert to PDF. I can do it in PE2 or CS but basically I seem to have to do each file one at a time even in the batch processing under File, Is there an easier way to just ask that a whole folder be converted at one push of the mouse button.
Maybe I am missing something in the Batch command. Also, what is the zip alternative in the Batch process ?
Jim
CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 25, 2004
In PS CS, you can define an action to do the conversion that then apply that to a folder at a time.
J
JohnR66
Nov 30, 2004
Is there any way to create & save an "action" that will pause & allow me to insert the date of each image that is being processed when I run in Batch mode?

Thanks,

Brian
JR
jana_rade
Feb 15, 2005
Can anybody help?
I need to batch process files in multiple folders.
Open files, process them and save into multiple folders again. The only way I can figure out to do it is to use the batch command settings Save and Close.

It works fine.
The problem is, that the files are jpg and when running the batch the jpg settings window pops up on each file.
Any way to get rid of that?

Also I need to save two versions of each file, image and a thumbnail. The batch command gives an option of adding a differentiating letter or number to a file name, but only when having the option Folder selected.
That doesn’t seem to be able to save to multiple folders. Is it?

Thank you!
Jana
DR
Danny Raphael
Feb 15, 2005
Assumption: You’re using PS CS.
To suppress the .jpg options dialog try this: In the Batch dialog turn ON Destination option – "Override Action ‘Save as’ commands"

If you’re not using CS, e-mail me via my profile for a workaround.

re: Renaming files
You are correct. It’s unfortunate that when "Save and close" is in effect, "File Naming" is not available. I know of no way using Photoshop actions to get around this.

A functional but ugly possibility is to:
* Duplicate the file tree
* Apply the action via batch
* Use a 3rd party file renaming program that has the smarts to traverse a folder tree * Manually copy the renamed thumbnails back into their original folders

Plan B:
Come to think of it, seems like there was a question about doing something similar to this in the Scripting forum of late. (See link near the top of this forum.) You might start a thread in that forum on this topic. One of the sharp script authors might have something already developed to do this.

Important: Specify which version of PS you have (must be 7 or CS).

HTH…
~Danny~
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 15, 2005
If you’re not using CS, e-mail me via my profile for a workaround.

Danny,

I hope you won’t take exception to my comment, but doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of the forum? So that others can learn?

I found myself asking "what workaround?". So, no offense intended, but it might be instructive to me (and others) to kind of see the solution.

Just a thought.

Peace,
Tony
DR
Danny Raphael
Feb 16, 2005
Hi Tony:

re:

Just a thought.

And a good one…

I’m not logging in these days as often as I used to. Since most folks who post questions are looking for help ASAP, I make that offer as a way of reducing the turnaround time for issues where I’m able to help with the intent of following up latr with a summary of the outcome – favorable or not.

As it turned out the utility I suggested to her (see link below) solved the problem of having to respond to the .jpg options dialog for each file. (In PS7 "Override Actions ‘Save as’ commands" is not available if "Save and close" is in effect; it is available in CS.)

PTFB: Push the Frigginย’ Button

< http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23023 &fileidx=1>

She decided to create a droplet (with Save and close specified) to further simplify her workflow.

~Danny~
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 16, 2005
<nodding> Gotcha.

But in regards to:

"Override Actions ‘Save as’ commands" is not available if "Save and close" is in effect; it is available in CS

Why would one choose that option anyway? Why not just eliminate any close step and instead of using Save And Close as an option from the CS Dialog, just create a Save As… (PSD) step. Then just toggle off the dialog, and you have Override Save As information.

So what am I missing about the utility of Save and Close?

Peace,
Tony
DR
Danny Raphael
Feb 16, 2005
She was using Save and Close in conjunction with the Source Option "include all subfolders" to a) automatically traverse various nested folder trees in as few passes as possible and b) save the modified files in their original folders — replacing the originals which turned out to be acceptable.

There were no Save as or Close steps in her action (not needed with Save and Close).

The source files had a color profile assigned (apparently from the camera) that was different than her PS workspace. In this case PS generates the .jpg options dialog before saving each file even though the source and destination files have the same file format. This happens even though there was no Save as (.jpg) step in the action, the normal cause for the .jpg options dialog. (This is one you helped me debug about six months ago.)

The inability to select "Override Actions ‘Save as’ commands" (to suppress the .jpg options dialog) because Save and Close was in effect left her to manually reply to the .jpg options dialogs. PTFB solved this problem for PS7. Adobe modified CS to make "Override Actions ‘Save as’ commands" available even when Save and Close is in effect.

Now, if Adobe would make File Naming available in the Batch dialog along with Save and Close in CS2, that would be awesome. This would allow one to use "Include all subfolders" to create multiple versions of an image file (each with a different name) in the same folder across a folder tree vs. one folder at a time.

~Danny~
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 16, 2005
replacing the originals which turned out to be acceptable

That’s what I thought. I wouldn’t do it, but <shrug> that’s why they make 33 flavors of ice cream, I guess.

There were no Save as or Close steps in her action (not needed with Save and Close)

I know.

This happens even though there was no Save as (.jpg) step in the action, the normal cause for the .jpg options dialog.

Exactly, as it should. Once the file is changed, if you don’t Save As… you are overwriting the file. With no other safeguard present, the results could be disasterous on a folder. In fact using Save As… you can easily eliminate the dialog altogether, thereby preserving the originals.

The most sound approach is to save as… use a different folder and delete originals (if desired) post processing. That way, the potential for disasterous errors (like accidentally overwriting an entire folder of originals) is eliminated.

Now, if Adobe would make File Naming available in the Batch dialog along with Save and Close in CS2, that would be awesome.

I don’t necessarily agree. Save and Close implies that it is simply going to save with the same filename – Save As provides the opportunity to rename it. I can’t see the utility in adding renaming to Save And Close. It’s kind of like using a pair of pliars to pull out a nail – it can be done, but the claw hammer was designed for it, and usually does a better job.

That would be like saying, when you are working on an existing file, and chose File|Save, a dialog should pop up allowing you to rename the file. But that’s what Save As is for.
JR
jana_rade
Feb 16, 2005
Dear Tony

"replacing the originals which turned out to be acceptable

That’s what I thought. I wouldn’t do it, but <shrug> that’s why they make 33 flavors of ice cream, I guess."

There are buzzilions of folders to be processed.
The Save as option would need to be set up for each folder separately wouldn’t it? The dialog box would be eliminated, but then more work arises having to process every subfolder one at the time. Doesn’t it?

The way I have it done is this:
Copy the entire tree folder (so the original files are untouched) and then process the copy of tree folder.

" Now, if Adobe would make File Naming available in the Batch dialog along with Save and Close in CS2, that would be awesome.

I don’t necessarily agree…"

I think what Danny means is for Adobe to combine the ability to process subfolders with the ability to change the file name and save automatically into original locations.

The problem is that one can have only one or the other.

Jana
JR
jana_rade
Feb 16, 2005
Dear Tony

PS:
I am of course open to any good suggestions.
If you have a good idea how to automate my tast I’ll be very happy to use it.

Here is what I need:
I need to process a root folder with multiple subfolders in it. (jpg images to be saved as jpg again – processed)
I need each file to have two versions.
I need the output to be into the same folder structure as original. I need it all automatic.

Jana
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 16, 2005
Jana,

There are buzzilions of folders to be processed

That makes a difference.

The dialog box would be eliminated, but then more work arises having to process every subfolder one at the time. Doesn’t it?

It depends on what you mean by process. You’re probably right, but technically speaking, you can set the batch dialog to process a folder and all subfolders – you just can’t specify that the destination be different on a batch. They would all end up in the same folder – which is what you don’t want.

I think what Danny means is for Adobe to combine the ability to process subfolders with the ability to change the file name and save automatically into original locations.

Yes, I uderstand that. But think about it from a single file point of view. The functions Save and Save As… serve two different purposes. The former saves the file with the existing file name, in the existing folder. The latter gives the option for changing name and destination. With the latter if you chose to overwrite the original, you are prompted for confirmation.

In the batch dialog, giving the option to rename with Save and Close is inconsistent – the function of Save and Close is to perform the same function as the Save command, not Save As.

So it isn’t that I disagree with the desire to have the feature of "Original Location" in the Batch dialog, I disagree with the suggested mechanism. You (and Danny) are basically doing a workaround by trying to combine two distinct functions.

The need to want to rename so as not to overwrite the original is a Save As function; the need to place them in the source folder is a Save function. The exectution of those functions in the batch dialog are derived from the normal file handling of those functions.

So I have a better sense of the challenge (many folders), but I think that the suggested feature shouldn’t be tied to save and close, rather, the destination button should have a "Original Location" in the dropdown, and add the ability to override save as information.

I am of course open to any good suggestions. If you have a good idea how to automate my tast I’ll be very happy to use it.

The only thing I can think of is droplets. Dropping each folder onto the droplet. It’s more work than processing all folders in one fell swoop, but not as much work as specifying the destination folders a buzillion times.
JR
jana_rade
Feb 16, 2005
Dear Tony

Yes, I agree, the Save As option should have the option of Destination – Same As Original. And everything would be peachy ๐Ÿ™‚

Is there some Adobe wish list one can put this on?

Jana
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 16, 2005
Jana,

Yes, there is. It’s the Features Request Forum <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.eeadf6e>
D
daymar
Aug 29, 2005
I recorded a bunch of tasks and am applying the set to a folder. The tasks involve resizing, brighten, contrat, unsharp mask, adding a border and using the "Save for Web" command to save the thumbnail as a ..gif. When I run it against the folder of photos, it stops on the first task (resize) and wants me to click "OK". Doesn’t this defeat the purpose of batch processing? Anyone know what’s going on?
D
daymar
Aug 29, 2005
OK…Now it runs through what seems like all the pictures and throws an error message at the end. Here’s what the log file says:

File: "Macintosh HD:Voice:In_Style_Abroad:photos:Borgo Bernardini:Thumbs.db"
Error: Could not complete your request because Photoshop cannot recognize the file extension. (-25600)
O
OcTavO
Aug 29, 2005
wrote in message
OK…Now it runs through what seems like all the pictures and throws an error message at the end. Here’s what the log file says: File: "Macintosh HD:Voice:In_Style_Abroad:photos:Borgo Bernardini:Thumbs.db"
Error: Could not complete your request because Photoshop cannot recognize the file extension. (-25600)

It was stopping at first because you had "stop for errors" selected when you created the batch process.

It is stopping at this particular error because you have a "thumbnails.db" file in the folder with your pictures. Photoshop can’t recognize this extension. Delete the thumbs.db file and run the batch again.
K
KatWoman
Aug 29, 2005
"OcTavO" wrote in message
wrote in message
OK…Now it runs through what seems like all the pictures and throws an error message at the end. Here’s what the log file says: File: "Macintosh HD:Voice:In_Style_Abroad:photos:Borgo Bernardini:Thumbs.db"

It was stopping at first because you had "stop for errors" selected when you
created the batch process.

It is stopping at this particular error because you have a "thumbnails.db" file in the folder with your pictures. Photoshop can’t recognize this extension. Delete the thumbs.db file and run the batch again.

Just FYI thumbs.db is a file Windows creates, it is a database so that thumbnails are quickly retrieved from a cache instead of being re-created each time the folder is opened.
This will also create errors in folders you try to upload to the web.
R
ram
May 12, 2007
hi,
Is it possible to create action for batch processing in Photoshop 7.0 for changing the
resolution of a jpeg file. I have about 1000 files 333×500 at 300 pix/in resolution and would
like to change resolution to 72 pix/in maintaining same pixel dim. of 333×500.

I will appreciate any help. Thanks.

-ram
R
rotz
Aug 16, 2007
I’ve made a couple of actions, but I ran into a (little) problem I can’t solve. A watermark action works as I want it to be for a single image, but when I want to batch process it, it asks for every image the name under which it must be saved and the quality. How can I go around this?

TX

de groeten van Martin

http://route1.nl
http://home.planet.nl/~usa/
http://route1.nl/grandcanyon2007/
R
rotz
Aug 16, 2007
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:06:48 +0200, Travellerยฎ wrote:

I’ve made a couple of actions, but I ran into a (little) problem I can’t solve. A watermark action works as I want it to be for a single image, but when I want to batch process it, it asks for every image the name under which it must be saved and the quality. How can I go around this?

I forgot the ‘save as’ option ๐Ÿ™ It’s working fine now. ๐Ÿ™‚

de groeten van Martin

http://route1.nl
http://home.planet.nl/~usa/
http://route1.nl/grandcanyon2007/
EO
Eric Otto
Sep 12, 2008
I receive folders of photos from a photographer for directories– as little as 20, as many as 600. They are jpg files, RGB, and consistently dark. What I’d like to know is if there is a way to batch process an entire folder of photos in a single pass. Here’s what I need to do:

1- Apply Adjustments>Auto Levels
2- Convert from RGB to CMYK
3- Set resolution to 300 ppi
4- Assign a specific color profile
5- Save As .psd back to the same folder

Any way to do all of this to all the photos in one pass? (I have PShop CS3)

thanks
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 12, 2008
Droplet
B
Buko
Sep 12, 2008
or image processor from Bridge
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 16, 2008
Open the whole batch in Bridge-hosted ACR;
Correct one of the files:
Select the others (in addition to first one) and hit the "Synchronize" button. Click "Done".

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections