Posted By
Richard Lyons
May 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

Two queries; occasionally, when I try to save as .gif, Photoshop (7.0, Windows XP) says ‘Could not complete your request because of a program error’. Now this is cery frustrating as it only does it every so often, usually when I need to the most. I have managed to bypass this problem by ‘Saving for web’ but all the same, I would like to know why the problem occurs in the first place. Ideally without resetting the settings.

Also, on my work system (Photoshop 7.0 Mac G5), a similar method to ctrl+clicking an object (selects the layer that object is on) is apparant without the use of the ctrl+click. Basically, everytime I try to move something (usually smaller objects) I end up moving something from another layer, which is very frustrating. Is this due to a modified setting?

TIA
Rich

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

E
edjh
May 2, 2004
Richard Lyons wrote:
Hi

Two queries; occasionally, when I try to save as .gif, Photoshop (7.0, Windows XP) says ‘Could not complete your request because of a program error’. Now this is cery frustrating as it only does it every so often, usually when I need to the most. I have managed to bypass this problem by ‘Saving for web’ but all the same, I would like to know why the problem occurs in the first place. Ideally without resetting the settings.

I would always use Save for Web to save gifs. How else are you saving them? But if Photoshop acts weird eventually you will have to trash prefs.
Also, on my work system (Photoshop 7.0 Mac G5), a similar method to ctrl+clicking an object (selects the layer that object is on) is apparant without the use of the ctrl+click. Basically, everytime I try to move something (usually smaller objects) I end up moving something from another layer, which is very frustrating. Is this due to a modified setting?

Uncheck Auto Select Layer in the Options Bar with the Move tool current.

TIA
Rich

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
RL
Richard Lyons
May 2, 2004
"edjh" wrote in message
Richard Lyons wrote:

Two queries; occasionally, when I try to save as .gif, Photoshop (7.0, Windows XP) says ‘Could not complete your request because of a program error’. Now this is cery frustrating as it only does it every so often, usually when I need to the most. I have managed to bypass this problem
by
‘Saving for web’ but all the same, I would like to know why the problem occurs in the first place. Ideally without resetting the settings.

I would always use Save for Web to save gifs. How else are you saving them? But if Photoshop acts weird eventually you will have to trash prefs.
Also, on my work system (Photoshop 7.0 Mac G5), a similar method to ctrl+clicking an object (selects the layer that object is on) is
apparant
without the use of the ctrl+click. Basically, everytime I try to move something (usually smaller objects) I end up moving something from
another
layer, which is very frustrating. Is this due to a modified setting?
Uncheck Auto Select Layer in the Options Bar with the Move tool current.

That’s great, thanks!

Rich

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections