DH
Posted By
David Habercom
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone in ths NG worked with PS on Linux? I see articles from Linux missionaries reporting that "it works," (using Windows emulators) but I would like to hear from graphics pros who regularly push PS to its limits. Thanks.

David

v=b

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Stephan
Apr 22, 2004
"David Habercom" wrote in message
Has anyone in ths NG worked with PS on Linux? I see articles from Linux missionaries reporting that "it works," (using Windows emulators) but I would like to hear from graphics pros who regularly push PS to its limits. Thanks.

Why Linux? It’s so mainstream you know…
Make it work on Amiga!

Stephan
H
Hecate
Apr 23, 2004
On 22 Apr 2004 15:24:38 -0400, David Habercom
wrote:

I only know of one person who tried it – it ran. And as long as you didn’t mind making a cup of coffee while it loaded, another one when you opened an image, another one when you applied a filter, another one…

You do like coffee?

😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
F
Faolan
Apr 23, 2004
In the writings of David Habercom, the
scrolls contained
these prophetic words:

David
Running fine with a AMD Athlon 64 with SuSE pro 64, it’s actually quicker than Windows at least for some tasks… ’bout on par for Windows for others.

Installed and runs under the latest version of CrossOver Office.

Also CrossOver office is not a emulator, in the same sense that VMWare is not a emulator.

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
S
Stephan
Apr 23, 2004
"Faolan" wrote in message
In the writings of David Habercom, the
scrolls contained
these prophetic words:

Has anyone in ths NG worked with PS on Linux? I see articles from Linux missionaries reporting that "it works," (using Windows emulators) but I would like to hear from graphics pros who regularly push PS to its
limits.
Thanks.

David
Running fine with a AMD Athlon 64 with SuSE pro 64, it’s actually quicker than Windows at least for some tasks… ’bout on par for Windows for others.

Installed and runs under the latest version of CrossOver Office.
Also CrossOver office is not a emulator, in the same sense that VMWare is not a emulator.

Quicker, slower, these are words, show us numbers!

Stephan
F
Faolan
Apr 26, 2004
In the writings of Stephan, the <Ph3ic.973$>
scrolls contained these prophetic words:

Stephan

PS 7. Linux SuSE pro 9, custom kernel (removed features that are not required) Also OWL security patch applied.
CrossOver Office
1.3Gb RAM
Athlon 64 3000+
K8 Based Mobo
Raptor 36Gb Primary SATA drive.
Hitachi 120Gb x2 Storage/Cache drives.
Radeon 9800Pro

Initial start up time: 2 seconds or less

Load a digital image (6mp JPG non-profiled image) This includes converting to colour space.

Athlon 1.4 4-5 seconds
Athlon 64 1 second or less.

Gaussian Blur on above image, setting of 10

Athlon 1.4 2 seconds
Athlon 64 < 1 second.

Batch processing of 20 images using actions this is a set of actions: 1 ‘haze’ remover – sharpening mask
2 Convert to LAB
3 Sharpen Lightness
4/5 Blur A/B channels
6 Resize image to 1/4 of original size.

Athlon 1.4 takes about 10-15 seconds for each image
Athlon 64 takes about 3-6 seconds for each image.

However all is not roses, PS does throw up memory errors and disk access errors every so often.

Note these are general observations, I am not a tester. Whilst I use Windows I prefer Linux as I don’t have to worry about Virii or Skript Kiddies hacking my system. Downsides as noted PS can be less stable than using a Windows box, but balance the fact that I generally spend less time applying patches, dealing with Win 2K crashing etc I would consider it a 50/50 split. I have not used PS 7 with Windows on this box.

Installation of PS 7 was just as easy as doing it on Windows (insert disk, install et voilá).

I am not sure if the Windows version of PS CS will work due it’s security protection. I can’t test this as I don’t have CS. It would probably screw up the Linux File system…

More info here:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7770280571.html
http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/cxoffice/supported_ apps/?id=8
" No one in Scotland can escape from the past.
It is everywhere, haunting like a ghost."

Geddes MacGregor
S
Stephan
Apr 26, 2004
"Faolan" wrote in message

Stephan

PS 7. Linux SuSE pro 9, custom kernel (removed features that are not required) Also OWL security patch applied.
CrossOver Office
1.3Gb RAM
Athlon 64 3000+
K8 Based Mobo
Radeon 9800Pro

Nice sysyem! I want one like that!

Load a digital image (6mp JPG non-profiled image) This includes converting to colour space.

Athlon 1.4 4-5 seconds

Athlon 1.4 2 seconds
Athlon 64 < 1 second.

Batch processing of 20 images using actions this is a set of actions: 1 ‘haze’ remover – sharpening mask
2 Convert to LAB
3 Sharpen Lightness
4/5 Blur A/B channels
6 Resize image to 1/4 of original size.

Athlon 1.4 takes about 10-15 seconds for each image
Athlon 64 takes about 3-6 seconds for each image.

However all is not roses, PS does throw up memory errors and disk access errors every so often.

Note these are general observations, I am not a tester. Whilst I use Windows I prefer Linux as I don’t have to worry about Virii or Skript Kiddies hacking my system. Downsides as noted PS can be less stable than using a Windows box, but balance the fact that I generally spend less time applying patches, dealing with Win 2K crashing etc I would consider it a 50/50 split. I have not used PS 7 with Windows on this box.

You crashed W2K? I have it running all the time and reboot only after instals and after the annoying "updates"
You don’t need to spend time applying patches you know, tell Windows to do it automaticaly.
Had it for years and I can’t remembering it crashing.
Virii and scripts are like AIDS, just watch where you go and go out protected..
Anyway, your numbers show that that PS works on Linux and it works faster on an Athlon64 3000 than on an Athlon 1.4. No surprise there. I still don’t see a reason to switch from the "Evil Empire" to Linux

Installation of PS 7 was just as easy as doing it on Windows (insert disk, install et voil
H
Hecate
Apr 27, 2004
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:25:09 +0100, Faolan
wrote:

Stephan

CrossOver Office
1.3Gb RAM
Athlon 64 3000+
K8 Based Mobo
Radeon 9800Pro

Athlon 1.4 4-5 seconds

Athlon 1.4 2 seconds
Athlon 64 < 1 second.
Interesting. How about with something more substantial? Say a 100mb image?

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections