VS
Posted By
Virender_Sekhri
Feb 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just migrated to the usage of Adobe family software from other Graphic packages. I am having hell of a time to do a simple cropping function of a ‘jpg’ and or ‘bmp’ file. I am used to having the image, using the mouse to form a rectangle to form the outline for cropping and with a click of a mouse I have a cropped image.

I have currently Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10 and have not found a simple direct way to achieve the same. I am quite sure that there is a very simple and straight procedure but some how I have been going in circles trying to execute the directions in the help menu.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
Tommo
Feb 17, 2004
Just go to the rectangular selection tool in the top left of toolbox, drag it over where you want to crop, go to Edit/crop.
If you need to be real precise and adjust the selection, go to Select/Transform Selection, to drag each side individually to exactly where you need it. Then press enter
Should do the trick.
Tommo
J
Jim
Feb 17, 2004
wrote in message
I have just migrated to the usage of Adobe family software from other
Graphic packages. I am having hell of a time to do a simple cropping function of a ‘jpg’ and or ‘bmp’ file. I am used to having the image, using the mouse to form a rectangle to form the outline for cropping and with a click of a mouse I have a cropped image.
Photoshop does not perform cropping like that. The manual describes how to crop, and you can find these instructions by consulting the index. Jim
BC
Brian_Cushing
Feb 17, 2004
I don’t know what Tommo is talking about, but have you thought about using the crop tool?
T
Tommo
Feb 17, 2004
oh yea……forgot about that crop tool……heh heh, dunno why.
AP
Alpha_Papa
Feb 17, 2004
You hear about the guy who migrating from an abacus strung his calculators on a line so he could count with them?
JL
Jim Lloyd
Feb 17, 2004
wrote in message
I have just migrated to the usage of Adobe family software from other
Graphic packages. I am having hell of a time to do a simple cropping function of a ‘jpg’ and or ‘bmp’ file. I am used to having the image, using the mouse to form a rectangle to form the outline for cropping and with a click of a mouse I have a cropped image.
I have currently Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10 and have not found a
simple direct way to achieve the same. I am quite sure that there is a very simple and straight procedure but some how I have been going in circles trying to execute the directions in the help menu.
Any help will be very much appreciated.

I don’t understand why these guys make things difficult. Just select the "crop" tool. (The one that looks like a square piece of candy in a wraper) Mark your rectangle in the image and hit the "check mark" at the top left of the screen. Piece of cake.
T
Tommo
Feb 17, 2004
I remembered why.
Because in earlier versions of PS, the crop tool used to jump to the edge of the page, and was really annoying because you couldn’t get an incrementally close crop real close to the edge of the page, trying to change one side of the crop slightly.
But my method, as I described above, allowed me to drag a side as close to the edge as I wanted, so it was a habit……I guess I’ll start using that crop tool now.
JL
Jim Lloyd
Feb 17, 2004
Oops. I guess we all want to drive the poor guy buggy. That "check mark" is on the upper RIGHT side of the screen. I understand there are many ways to do the same task in photoshop. For what he’s asking, the crop tool is the closest way to what he’s used to doing. I’m a little concerned that he would have trouble finding the crop tool! Virender, don’t try to make things more difficult than they need to be. You can perform many many simple tasks very easily in photoshop. Don’t worry about all the fancy stuff you see people do on tv and in magazines until you master the easy things first. Baby steps and all that…
RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 17, 2004
You know that snap to document bounds is an option you can turn off…
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 17, 2004
You can also just hold down Ctrl while you drag the crop boundary.

Cheers – John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections