AG
Posted By
Alvaro_Garcia
Feb 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I delete the pixels from a layer that are out of the canvas? In other words keep only the pixels from a layer that are inside the canvas.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 14, 2004
Alvaro,

If you are referring to layers that have been repositioned such that parts of them extend beyond the canvas, then the approach to take varies by the content. For a raster layer, you can select all of the layer and then execute a crop (not the crop tool, but rather Image > Crop). For a text or shape layer, I think you would probably first have to rasterize that layer and then crop it. If you can flatten your image with no concern for a need to maintain the layers, then that will also serve to crop the canvas to only the visible content.

Hope that helps,

Daryl
RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 14, 2004
Never mind
AG
Alvaro_Garcia
Feb 14, 2004
thank you
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 14, 2004
Key thing is to make sure "Hide" isn’t checked when you do a crop. Otherwise, it will save all the stuff outside the cropped area on everything but the background layer [if there is one].
PC
Patty_Clarke
Feb 15, 2004
I’m going to go experiment with what you guys said. I’ve come across the same sort of situation when I use this method to get rid of extra layer stuff.

I select the layer and enclose the area I want to retain with the rectangle tool and then choose select and then inverse and delete.
Same deal, the part that doesn’t show on the canvas isn’t deleted. I only noticed it recently while doing a lot of repositioning kind of collage work.

Patty
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 15, 2004
An easy thing to do is to Select|All, Image|Crop. That will remove everything that hangs off the canvas.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 15, 2004
Tony,

That is true only for rasterized content, which I didn’t realize until I tried it out myself before posting my prior reply.

Colin,

Although my original reply was based upon using the Crop Command rather than the Crop Tool, I’d just like to clarify that the same concern applies to the Crop Tool in that data lying outside the canvas is only deleted for layers with rasterized content.

Regards,

Daryl
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 15, 2004
Daryl,

That is true only for rasterized content, which I didn’t realize until I tried it out myself before posting my prior reply.

Yes, I automatically assumed raster content, and didn’t read your post thoroughly enough to see that you had basically already said to use the Image|Crop… sorry.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections