C
Posted By
christopherglaeser
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS CS was exremely slow to load so I moved al the files that do not end with ..8* out of the Adobe Plugins folder. Now PS loads relatively fast. However, plugins like Auto FX Dreamsuite no longer work. How does PS CS find plugins like Auto FX that do not end in .8*?

Best,
Christopher

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
christopherglaeser
Feb 14, 2004
The Auto FX FAQ says all the Auto FX files should be put in the PS Plugins folder. That results in load times of several minutes for PS CS, and the recommended solution is to remove all files that do not end in .8*. Apparently, there is a design flaw somewhere. Guess I’ll have to contact Auto FX technical support and see if they have any solutions.

Best,
Christopher
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 14, 2004
Adobe blames Auto FX and Auto FX blames Adobe. My opinion is it is Auto FX. Since Adobe controls the specifications for plug-ins for as well as Photoshop itself it is up to Auto FX to make sure their products work with Photoshop and not Photoshop work with their products. So far it looks as if Auto FX doesn’t want to put out a patch. Either way it sucks, I like the Auto FX products.

Robert
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 15, 2004
Either way it sucks, I like the Auto FX products.

maybe they’re looking to get bought out.
GD
gerard_de_Wit
Feb 15, 2004
Quite unfair to AutoFX. In my plugins I have the .8bf file (afxge401) size 3,215,416. Originally installed on 14.7.1999 at 4.16pm GMT it has travelled to everyone of my PS upgrades – smoothly without any problems, including my current CS.

When I want to use it I slip the appropriate one of the 4 disks into my DVD-Rom and select whichever of the 10,000 options available. All of these are listed in AutoFX’s "Photo/Graphic Edges 10,000+" Manual. Methods of installation and use of the pgm appear clearly and in detail on the first page of the Table of Contents. I’m just mystified what all these complaints are about – illiteracy? There are more problems (uncommented) in this forum about "its" and "it’s" than any other matter.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 15, 2004
The thing is you shouldn’t have to fiddle with the discs. It’s own install program wants to copy the edge files and stuff over to the hard drive during installation. That tells me it is meant to be run from the hard drive and not by swapping discs in an out. BTW I am talking about version 6 here, and you are talking about the old 4 version from the information you posted. Major difference in software, interface and capabilities.

Robert
H
harrillj
Feb 16, 2004
I ended up uninstalling all my AutoFX plugs, all 4 of them, and hope this will get corrected by someone. Yes, both companies blame each other, but AutoFX’s response is that this problem does not occur in Photoshop 7 so therefore something is in CS that is the cause. I have not tried re-installing v7 to see if AutoFX claim is correct. I just gave up.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 16, 2004
but AutoFX’s response is that this problem does not occur in Photoshop 7 so therefore something is in CS that is the cause.

right. but as they’re the plugin not the main app, and they’re plugin is FOR photoshop and isn’t a standalone, they’re required to follow adobe’s instructions to work and play well with ps. if they don’t want to do that, it’s not adobe’s fault. sounds like they’re shooting themselves in the foot to me. pity because i recenly got an email from then for some new plugin or other that looked nice (not autofx) but I’m not going to be buying it if they don’t support the application that they’re supposed to be implimented for.
H
harrillj
Feb 16, 2004
I agree it really is AutoFX to fix….. if they want to sell software. They do have some nice products, but I am not even using them.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 16, 2004
agreed. i’m looking for a new plugin or 2, i finally got all of alien skin’s plugs, so it’s time to move on to a new company. i’ll be watching to see what the autofx people do. "mystical tint, tone and color" and "mystical lighting" are the one’s i was looking at. i’ll wait and see if/how they resolve this issue first.
C
christopherglaeser
Feb 16, 2004
When I want to use it I slip the appropriate one of the 4 disks … I’m just mystified what all these complaints are about …

You are mystified becuase you don’t undestand software design requirements such as ease-of-use.
C
christopherglaeser
Feb 16, 2004
I called Auto FX technical support this morning and the company made a decision last week to enhance their plugins to fix the PS CS slow-load problem. No details on when the update will be available, but they are actively working on a solution.

Best,
Christopher
GD
gerard_de_Wit
Feb 16, 2004
Robert:
Of course you can install the 4 disks on yr HD (or one of them if, like myself, you have more than one HD). That will avoid the "fiddle" you dislike. But surely it’s quite preposterous to lodge them into PS plugins! Why? You only need the .8bf file there and you call up the desired item from your HD. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to store some 2 GB of dumb stuff into the PS plugins and then complaining about slow responses.

Christopher:
"Ease of use"? By stuffing the contents of those 4 disks into PS plugins? "Software design requirement"? You’re joking, surely?
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 16, 2004
Its about time the decide to do that. I think it is up to them to make their products work with Photoshop and not Adobe’s to work with theirs.

Robert
C
christopherglaeser
Feb 17, 2004
"Ease of use"? By stuffing the contents of those 4 disks into PS plugins?
"Software design requirement"? You’re joking, surely?

You prefer to load a CD when the plugins are needed; others prefer to keep the plugins on disk. Large disk drives are cheap and I prefer the latter. For those who prefer to keep the plugins on disk, it’s not particularly important where the plugins are stored (i.e. in the PS plugins folder or some other folder), but it is important that a) PS load relatively quickly, and b) the plugin application locate the plugins when needed. Auto FX has acknowledged the problem and has plans to develop an update to resolve it.

Best,
Christopher

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections