while using Photoshop, keyboard changes to Azerty layout, instead of Qwerty, in mid use

C
Posted By
Cerio
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7 is being a tad weird. It works fine, then sometimes it does an odd things in mid use. The CtrlZ for ‘undo’ and CtrlA for ‘select all’ no longer do as they should, It seems to sometimes read my keyboard as the European Continental Azerty keyboard, instead of the Qwerty one it is, reading ctrlZ as ctrlW and CtrlA as CtrlQ. They work fine if selected from the menus, of course, only via the keyboard do they sometimes go weird. It’s very annoying, I have to shut down Photoshop and re-open it to rectify it. When I open Photoshop again, they work fine, it just seems to change in mid use sometimes.

It also happens when I use File/Save AS, sometimes, when I type a name in the name text filed. A nightmare as I don’t know the azerty layout offhand, so can’t type in the name I need. Again, closing P’shop and re-opening sorts it for a while. This only happens in Photoshop, no other applications at all, and it starts out fine when I open it, it just seems to happen sometimes in mid use. The keyboard is always qwerty when I type within P’shop using the text tool and I don’t think it is my keyboard at fault, as it only happens with Photoshop.

I can’t think of anything I am doing to cause it to make these changes in mid use. It starts out ok with Undo and Select All keyboard shortcuts working fine and ‘File/Save As’ behaving as normally then, inexplicably, changes the behaviour. I’m not aware of any keyboard command that changes my keyboard to Azerty that I could be doing while using P’shop.

I tried reinstalling the application but to no avail. My PC, running Windows XP and is virus free, so I’ve run out of ideas. It’s most bizarre.

Anyone come across this or have any ideas. If anyone knows of a way to get a keyboard to change from qwerty to azerty via a keyboard command, would you let me know and I’ll see if I’m doing that? Don’t think I am, though.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

C

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 13, 2004
You’re typing something that is changing your OS preferences for the keyboard.

It isn’t Photoshop.
C
Cerio
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks for reply.
If that is the case, why is it only happening while using Photoshop, only affecting Photoshop and reverting to Qwerty simply by closing Photoshop?

I checked with Photoshop both still open and with it closed to see if it was acting as an Azerty keyboard elsewhere but it isn’t, only within Photoshop. I’m completely puzzled.

Any ideas?

C
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 13, 2004
It could be a bug in the keyboard driver, or it could be something in the keyboard prefs that is application specific.

It isn’t Photoshop.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Feb 13, 2004
I have the same problem Cerio, tis not happend for a while now, well since upgrading to CS actualy now i think about it.
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 13, 2004
It "happens only in Photoshop" because the OS keyboard shortcuts for switching keyboards are usually something as unusual as "alt-shift-space". A combination that’s not to uncommon in Photoshop. (This happens to me a lot when editing code in Emacs, for the same reasons).

In the Regional and Languages Control Panel, Languages tab, Detail button, Key Settings… button, you can remove the shortcuts used to switch keyboard layouts. Note that some IMEs are buggy (CS/CT come to mind) and sometimes don’t let you delete all the keyboard switching shortcuts, but you can get rid of most of them.

-Scott
C
Cerio
Feb 14, 2004
Aha!
I checked the Regional and Languages Control Panel, Languages tab and see that I have options of Uk and Belgian. I know Belgians use the Azerty keyboard, so that may be it. There is a keyboard shortcut mentioned there to switch between the two but I can’t actually get it to do it, oddly enough, but I suspect you are right and that is the cause. I will remove the Belgian option and see if it happens again.

Thank you

C

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections