J
Posted By
jkutz
Feb 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I understand correctly, Photoshop cs now saves a full resolution composite image with psd files, and even when saving to jpg. This may have benefits for some people, but just slows me down and burns disk space. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JB
Jonathan_Balza
Feb 10, 2004
Photoshop has actually been saving full resolution composites for several versions, as part of the features under "Backwards compatability".

To get rid of the composites, go to "Edit->Preferences->File Handling" when you don’t have any documents open in Photoshop. Then set to "Maximize PSD File Compatibility" to "Never".

While I’m thinking about it, does anyone know what else does PSD File Compatibility affect? Or is the layers problem the only thing?
J
jkutz
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks for your reply. The Compatibility selection is in fact set to "Never", but the composites keep coming. Am I missing something here?
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 11, 2004
Also, JPEG is a composite – it has no layer data.

The layer problem is it — if you don’t have a composite image, then other applications can’t read the PSD file. And if anything changes in future versions of Photoshop, you may be screwed because you don’t have a composite and can’t match the appearance any more.
J
jkutz
Feb 18, 2004
I understand the jpg is a composite image, but I still don’t see why PS first saves to a "full resolution composite" THEN goes through the process of saving the jpg image. Seems redundant to me.
H
Ho
Feb 18, 2004
I understand the jpg is a composite image, but I still don’t see why PS first saves to a "full resolution composite" THEN goes through the process of saving the jpg image…

Makes you wonder if you really *can* turn it off.
J
jkutz
Mar 3, 2004
True statement. So far, I can’t turn it off. Really adds to save times on large images.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Mar 3, 2004
There is a bug with the Max Compatibility Never setting, at least on some machines (mine for sure). I’ve found two workarounds. One is to leave it at Never and then resave the file over itself. The other is to turn Max Compatibility to Ask and then uncheck the tick box. You should see the file size cut in half and the ‘generating full res composite’ message should not appear in the status bar.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 4, 2004
JPEG _is_ a composite image.

Photoshop may CREATE a composite image (which is what gets saved, and used for previews, thumbnails, etc.) but it only saves the JPEG image as normal. There is no additional disk space used.

And so, no, there is no way to turn off what isn’t there in the first place….
MM
Mick_Murphy
Mar 4, 2004
I was just referring to psds.
WW
Wim_Woittiez
Mar 5, 2004
Mick,

I tried both of these workarounds, to no avail. Keeps making my scanned 57 Meg images into 114 Meg PSDs! That’s 6 pictures per CDR…

WinXP Pro on Athlon XP 1700+, 512 RAM

Any other solutions?

Wim
WW
Wim_Woittiez
Mar 5, 2004
Further to my original message: it ALWAYS happens when using 16-bit background with adjustment layers. No matter what settings.

Wim
MM
Mick_Murphy
Mar 5, 2004
Wim
I was referring to 8 bit files only there. 16 bit files are another story.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections