JB
Posted By
jeff_bowback
Feb 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d moved over to the Windows XP platform a few months back. Since that time I’ve been experiencing problems from time to time while running Photoshop 4.0. Often times Photoshop will shut down automatically without warning. I’ve spent some time looking through the Microsoft website for any fixes/patches/info et. but nothing. The problem seem to go away but most recently I was getting an error while in Photoshop that the "primary scratch disk is full" and I was not able to display any images. Question that’s been on my mind is ….how compatible is Photoshop version 4.0 with Window XP Home Edition version 2002??? I’m on a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 and 256 MB of RAM

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Feb 7, 2004
how compatible is Photoshop version 4.0 with Window XP Home Edition

not at all. but it’s runable. barely. you really need to 4.01 patch do you have it installed?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 7, 2004
and in all honesty, PS Elements 2 will give you more power and more features than PS 4.anything.
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 7, 2004
As long as you don’t need CMYK. But if you’re going to buy Elements, you might just as well spend a few bucks more for the CS upgrade.

Bob
H
Ho
Feb 8, 2004
and in all honesty, PS Elements 2 will give you more power and more features than PS 4.anything.

That’s an interesting statement. I’m not familiar with that software, so, CMYK aside, can you give an example of 3 useful and unique features found in Elements 2 that cannot be duplicated in PS4?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 8, 2004
not really. it’s been a while since I used 4 (at work, and not very extensively). if i was put on the spot, i’d guess text handling is better. um… photomerge… how about some of the newer tools or filters. definately memory handling and os support… did 4 support long file names? i didn’t know there was going to be a test or i would’ve studied! 🙂
H
Ho
Feb 8, 2004
PS4 introduced actions, the navigator, adjustment layers, guides and grids, some very limited 16-bit capability(?), and the Adobe Gallery Filters. I can’t remember if the text engine received an update in this version or not. Anyway, Elements 2 may have more push-button automation but I doubt there’s anything you can do in Elements that can’t be done in PS4 (except maybe editable text).

And no, this wasn’t a test, just curiosity on my part. 🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 8, 2004
Top of my bean:

History palette (multiple undo) is a biggie.
Save for web (a subset of ImageReady) also a biggie.
File browser.
Built in batch processing.
PDF slide show.
Panorama stitcher.
Web gallery maker.

Mac
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 8, 2004
except maybe editable text

biggie.
H
Ho
Feb 8, 2004
Only if you’re prone to typos, or you can’t get the wording exactly right on the first try, or your client makes changes. How often does any of that ever happen?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 8, 2004
How often does any of that ever happen?

Oh, never! 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections