PP
Posted By
Peter Purlz
Jun 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Probably a stupid question, but…I have installed Genuine Fractals. But, how do I use it. When I am in Photoshop and look under Filters I don’t see anything different. What should I do?

Peter

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

HD
hot_denim
Jun 28, 2003
I believe from a quick experience, it becomes one of the Save / Save as options / file types…look arount there.
F
Fishb8
Jun 28, 2003
Hi Peter,
Like hot denim said, you’ll find it at the save function. Format, GF Printpro, then a splash screen with further options shows up.

~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~ ~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~
T
testpilot
Jun 28, 2003
The manual is very easy to understand.
It is also very short. You’ll be up and running in 15 minutes. It goes step by step.

Mike
JL
Jorge Li
Jun 29, 2003
Peter: in Files>Save as> stn genuine fractals> save. then close and open file, you should get the GF window.
Jorge
MM
Mac McDougald
Jun 29, 2003
If you want .fif file you use Export.
Save As for .stn file.

Mac
PP
Peter Purlz
Jul 3, 2003
Hey Mac,

Whats the difference between .fif file and .stn file?

Peter
MM
Mac McDougald
Jul 3, 2003

dang if I know.
I bought GF 2 for one client project long time ago.
I just looked in manual and it’s unclear to me.

Mac
B
Bernie
Jul 3, 2003
Peter,

The FIF format was used by the original Genuine Fractals. The STN format was added in version 2, and is much better than the FIF format and STN gives you the option of lossless as well as "visually lossless" compression.

— Burton —
MM
Mac McDougald
Jul 3, 2003
Thank you Burton…

I couldn’t tell from manual why there were two formats.

Mac
J
JFrankJ
Feb 14, 2004
Recently upgraded to WindowsXP Home, PhotoshopCS and Genuine Fractals 3.0. Problem: I save an image (8 bits/channel and grayscale) in Genuine Fractals psd.stn format and then try to open the image I get the following messages: 1. Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document or 2. Could not complete your request because of a problem with the file-format module interface. I also had this problem with my earlier version of Genuine Fractals, so I suspect it may be a Photoshop CS problem? Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might resolve this problem. Thanks.
JH
John_Hayward
Feb 14, 2004
I too am running PS CS on WinXP with Genuine Fractals 3.0 ("GF"). To test your case, I opened a 16 bit greyscale image in PS and tried to save it with GF, which produced an error message re the 16 bit image. I then converted the image to 8 bit, saved and opened it roughly 3 times the original size. I had no problems.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Feb 14, 2004
Genuine Fractals still does not support 16-bit image modes. But, JFrankJ, what do you mean by "8 bits/channel and grayscale"? I suspect your problem may have to do with a slightly improper installation of GF. Exactly in which folder(s) is it located? Have you tried "Save a Copy" when saving your STN file?

— Burton —
J
JFrankJ
Feb 15, 2004
I mean I am working with 8-bit images. Genuine Fractals is located in program files\adobe\photoshop CS\plugins\import-export. Also, I tried using images provided in sample file porvided with GF and still had the problem.
J
JFrankJ
Feb 15, 2004
I made mistake of where GF program located. It is located in program files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\plugins\Adobe photoshop only\file formats, Sorry for the mistake.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Feb 15, 2004
Frank,

Well, that may be the correct location. I am still using Photoshop 7 because I haven’t upgraded to Windows XP yet, and I haven’t upgraded to the latest version 3.0 of Genuine Fractals yet (because I didn’t see any advantages over my current version 2.5), but my Genuine Fractals works fine and my setup has the file Genuine Fractals PrintPro.8bi located in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats\

Also, in that same folder, there is a folder named gf_help

Maybe you should contact the LizardTech people about your problem. Possibly they have an issue with Photoshop CS installation. Maybe you need to re-install your Genuine Fractals. Could be something is messed up in the XP Registry.

— Burton —
J
Joe
Jan 28, 2006
I seem to be having a strange problem using a recently install genuine fractals plug in.
Once I save an image with a genuine fractals file extension , I get a pop up asking me if I would like to save the image as default or loss less , on choosing ether of these the image gets saved but with no genuine fractals interface appearing on the screen for me to chose what options I want to employ , why is this ,anyone know.?

Thanks Joe
I
isnot
Jan 28, 2006
"Joe" wrote in message
I seem to be having a strange problem using a recently install genuine fractals plug in.

Good. You should delete any reference to GF right now and not look back. It’s a waste of time and money. Do that and be happy.
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jan 28, 2006
I recall reading that the new version works differently. It no longer is a two step process…just one. Maybe there are no longer any options. This really seems to be something for their tech support to answer.

Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
(visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com) freebridge design group

"Joe" wrote in message
Once I save an image with a genuine fractals file extension , I get a pop up asking me if I would like to save the image as default or loss less , on choosing ether of these the image gets saved but with no genuine fractals interface appearing on the screen for me to chose what options I want to employ , why is this ,anyone know.?

Thanks Joe
RU
random user 12987
Jan 28, 2006
You sure as hell won’t get a straight answer here.

Having climaxed… She turned on her
mate and began to devour him.
Not a lot changes, eh Spiderwoman?
:
: "Joe" wrote in message
: : >I seem to be having a strange problem using a recently install genuine : > fractals plug in.
: > Once I save an image with a genuine fractals file extension , I get a : > pop up asking me if I would like to save the image as default or loss : > less , on choosing ether of these the image gets saved but with no : > genuine fractals interface appearing on the screen for me to chose what : > options I want to employ , why is this ,anyone know.? : >
: > Thanks Joe
: >
:
:
LL
Leonard Lehew
Jan 28, 2006
On 27 Jan 2006 17:19:46 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

Thanks Joe
Before version 4, you had to save a file in GF STN format in order to use GF to scale the image. The resizing features were tangled up with the file saving. This is no longer the case. The scaling feature is now independent of the format used for saving.

GF provides two things — an additional format in which to save the image and an additional algorithm for re-sampling an image when you adjust the size. Using the "STN" format to save, as you said, you get the option of saving in a lossless way (or not).

The re-sampling (accessed through the File/Automate command menu, provides an alternative to the built in bicubic, bicubic sharper, bicubic smoother, etc., that are available on the Image/Image Size menu.

You can use GF for re-sizing and save it in any format you like.

In my opinion, GF is slightly better than the built-in algorithms for upsizing a lot, but given the size of the images coming from today’s crop of cameras, GF is not of great value for "normal" printing.

Leonard
J
Joe
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks Leonard , for the useful advice.
Leonard Lehew wrote:
On 27 Jan 2006 17:19:46 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

Thanks Joe
Before version 4, you had to save a file in GF STN format in order to use GF to scale the image. The resizing features were tangled up with the file saving. This is no longer the case. The scaling feature is now independent of the format used for saving.

GF provides two things — an additional format in which to save the image and an additional algorithm for re-sampling an image when you adjust the size. Using the "STN" format to save, as you said, you get the option of saving in a lossless way (or not).

The re-sampling (accessed through the File/Automate command menu, provides an alternative to the built in bicubic, bicubic sharper, bicubic smoother, etc., that are available on the Image/Image Size menu.

You can use GF for re-sizing and save it in any format you like.
In my opinion, GF is slightly better than the built-in algorithms for upsizing a lot, but given the size of the images coming from today’s crop of cameras, GF is not of great value for "normal" printing.
Leonard
R
Rob
May 22, 2007
Does anyone use Genuine Fractals in there output process.

What difference does it make?

I ask, as its been suggested as it may benefit some large ouput files which are in progress of being prepared.

thanks
T
Tacit
May 23, 2007
In article <465382c0$>,
Rob wrote:

I ask, as its been suggested as it may benefit some large ouput files which are in progress of being prepared.

This question comes up periodically in this newsgroup and elsewhere.

Genuine Fractals is a program sold with some rather..remarkable claims. However, the simple fact of the matter is this: For any kind of output, nothing will match the quality of images originally created or scanned at the correct resolution.

The marketing hype with which Genuine Fractals is sold is breathless to near the point of hysteria, but nothing–no program and no technique–can increase the resolution of an image and create detail that does not exist in the original.

For some images, Genuine Fractals produces results moderately better than Photoshop’s interpolation–emphasis on "some images" and "moderately." Nothing can compare to working with images that are the correct resolution from the get-go.

Many people who work with large-format pieces want to find shortcuts, because large high-resolution files are awkward to deal with. Fact of the matter is, getting the highest possible quality from your final result means working with large, high-resolution files, no matter how tempting it may seem to cut corners.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
G
Grinder
May 23, 2007
tacit wrote:
In article <465382c0$>,
Rob wrote:

This question comes up periodically in this newsgroup and elsewhere.
Genuine Fractals is a program sold with some rather..remarkable claims. However, the simple fact of the matter is this: For any kind of output, nothing will match the quality of images originally created or scanned at the correct resolution.

The marketing hype with which Genuine Fractals is sold is breathless to near the point of hysteria, but nothing–no program and no technique–can increase the resolution of an image and create detail that does not exist in the original.

What?! You mean when those computer geeks on Law & Order can’t really read the VIN off of a truck speeding past an ATM camera?
RG
Roy G
May 23, 2007
"Grinder" wrote in message
tacit wrote:
In article <465382c0$>,
Rob wrote:

SNIP>>>>
What?! You mean when those computer geeks on Law & Order can’t really read the VIN off of a truck speeding past an ATM camera?

But you have actually seen it done on the Telly, so it must be true.

Roy G
D
Dave
May 23, 2007
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:54:38 +1000, Rob wrote:

thanks

I wonder whether Genuine Fractals would work in CS3.
There is reason to think that (only maybe) GF sometimes do better enlargement work than Bicubic, and when doing enlargements, it is of course better to have alternatives in applications. I do quite a lot of work on A1 size, and interpolation is less of a problem to me, because I do digital painting.

http://dave.photos.gb.net/p40012706.html
http://dave.photos.gb.net/p41548031.html

Dave
B
br
May 23, 2007
"Rob" wrote in message

thanks

Here you are, try this, it does the just as good for free.

Open an image you want res up.

Open the Actions palette and select "New Set".

Name it "Creeping Increase" or whatever you like.

Now select New Action and call it "1.5 Increase"

Next go to Image/Size and put a check in "Resample" and "Constrain Proportions"

with Bicubic and change the width drop down to "percent" and enter 110.

Now go to "Image Size" do the same 3 more times.

Then "Stop Recording"

Next "New Action" Name it "2.0 Increase"

Now "Edit/Purge All"

Next select the "1.5 Increase" in the Actions Palette

and press the Play button.

select the "1.5 Increase" again,

press the Play button again.

Stop Recording.

"New Action" Name it 3.0 Increase.

"Edit/Purge All"

Select and play the "2.0 Increase"

Select and play the "1.5 Increase"

Stop Recording.

"New Action" Name it 4.0 Increase.

"Edit/Purge All"

Select and play the "3.0 Increase"

Now "Image Size" 110 percent.

And again "Image Size" 110 percent.

Stop Recording.

Save the Action.
R
Rob
May 24, 2007
/\BratMan/\ wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message

thanks

I was actually doing something like this but thats more in-depth.

I actually couldn’t see why GF would be better than whats available in PS.

Thanks

r

Then "Stop Recording"

Now "Edit/Purge All"

Stop Recording.

"Edit/Purge All"

Stop Recording.

"Edit/Purge All"

Stop Recording.

Save the Action.

J
jaSPAMc
May 24, 2007
Rob found these unused words:

/\BratMan/\ wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message

thanks

It’ different because of the way it analyzes the image and then applies an algorythm for sizing

Most image will show some or little diference, others quite a bit, especially those with high transition rates.
C
Cryptopix
Jun 5, 2007
"Rob" wrote in message
/\BratMan/\ wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message

thanks

Thanks

r

Then "Stop Recording"

Now "Edit/Purge All"

Stop Recording.

"Edit/Purge All"

Stop Recording.

"Edit/Purge All"

Stop Recording.

Save the Action.

After the hysteria dies down…
GF is now at version 5 and very, very sophisticated. You can download a copy for evaluation and decide for yourself. The digital canvas print business would not exist if it were not for applications like Genuine Fractals. Photoshop’s bicubic and stair interpolation routines are OK for small enlargements. When you run a business enlarging digital images is when you discover what works and what doesn’t.

Tacit is right. Tacit is inflexible. Tacit has a closed mind on the topic. Variations exist.

Few available wide format printers are capable of using all the detail in an original file in the first place so degrading it by a few % is not going to result in a visibly different image. GF degrades images far less than Photoshop does.
D
Dave
Jun 8, 2007
"Cryptopix"
After the hysteria dies down…
GF is now at version 5 and very, very sophisticated. You can download a copy for evaluation and decide for yourself. The digital canvas print business would not exist if it were not for applications like Genuine Fractals. Photoshop’s bicubic and stair interpolation routines are OK for small enlargements. When you run a business enlarging digital images is when you discover what works and what doesn’t.

Tacit is right. Tacit is inflexible. Tacit has a closed mind on the topic. Variations exist.

Few available wide format printers are capable of using all the detail in an original file in the first place so degrading it by a few % is not going to result in a visibly different image. GF degrades images far less than Photoshop does.

Lots of truth is what’s said here –
The digital canvas print business
would not exist if it were not for applications like Genuine Fractals.
and I like the way you put your case. Also totally in agreement with it, so much that I am surprised that there is not more reactions to this post.

I am using 6 and 9 megapixel cameras. If it was not for facilities like GF, how on earth would I have been able to do this
http://dave.photos.gb.net/p42079897.html

Dave
T
Tacit
Jun 9, 2007
In article ,
Dave wrote:

I am using 6 and 9 megapixel cameras. If it was not for facilities like GF, how on earth would I have been able to do this

Impossible to tell. We can’t see the detail in that print.

Nevertheless, the indisputable fact still remains: Nothing can enlarge an image and create detail that does not exist in the origina. Nothing. Not Photoshop, not Genuine Fractals, nothing.

Do you dispute that statement?

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
D
Dave
Jun 9, 2007
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 21:26:13 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Nevertheless, the indisputable fact still remains: Nothing can enlarge an image and create detail that does not exist in the origina. Nothing. Not Photoshop, not Genuine Fractals, nothing.

LOL… you must be joking by asking whether I dispute it:-) Do I dispute that rain is made of water – of course not, but you can still ride your bike – simply wear a rain coat and the discomfort will be less. If you have to get there while it’s raining.

Quoted from
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/Int erpolation_01.htm Fractal interpolation
Fractal interpolation is mainly useful for extreme enlargements (for large prints) as it retains the shape of things more accurately with cleaner, sharper edges and less halos and blurring around the edges than bicubic interpolation would do. An example is Genuine Fractals Pro from The Altamira Group.

Not even for one moment do I say that any enlargement program can create info not existing in the original. I simply agree with the OP’s following words:
The digital canvas print business
would not exist if it were not for applications like Genuine Fractals.

In fact, I should not have used my examples as samples, reason therefore is, interpolation is no factor for me in a work like this because this is a digital painting being cloned from a photo, and I first enlarge the photo to the size I want it at, (A1 in this case of course) and then do the paint work.

This is where the fact comes is that, if I can do this work originally on a smaller scale, and afterwards enlarge it, it will be hours less work.

Do you dispute the OP’s quoted statement that digital canvas printing businesses keep on being in existence simply because of applications like Genuine Fractals?

Dave
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 9, 2007
tacit found these unused words:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Ever run a mandelbrot image?
T
Tacit
Jun 9, 2007
In article ,
Dave wrote:

LOL… you must be joking by asking whether I dispute it:-) Do I dispute that rain is made of water – of course not, but you can still ride your bike – simply wear a rain coat and the discomfort will be less. If you have to get there while it’s raining.

So what we’re talking about, then, is not whether programs like Genuine Fractals produce results that are as good as having a high-resolution image to begin with, but whether or not the results are "good enough."

That leads back to my original two assertions: that no program, technique, or algorithm–not Genuine Fractals, nothing–can enlarge a raster (pixel) image and create detail that was not in the original; and that no program, technique, or algorithm will ever produce results as good as using an image of the proper size and resolution to begin with. Genuine Fractals is not a magic bullet, hysterical and breathless marketing hype aside.

It produces results moderately better than Photoshop’s interpolation for some images, emphasis on "moderately" and "some images." Fractal interpolation produces better results on images with lots of high-frequency information that is not unified and is highly organic; bicubic interpolation produces better results on images with regular patterns and simpler shapes. For every image that Lizard Tech puts in a brochure showing better results with GF, I can find an image that shows better results with bicubic interpolation. And neither is, or ever will be, as good as starting with a high-resolution image to begin with.

There are many people who want to believe in the magic bullet, who want to believe they can blow up an image from their two-megapixel digital camera to wall size ad get great results. They can’t. They may get good enough results, depending on how critical they are, but those results will never meet the results one would see if one starts with a high resolution image to begin with.

T
Tacit
Jun 9, 2007
In article ,
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Ever run a mandelbrot image?

A Mandelbrot set is a mathematical equation, not a raster image. If you start with a raster image of a Mandelbrot and then run Genuine Fractals on it, you will not be able to zoom in indefinitely.

A raster image–any raster image–contains a finite amount of information. Any technique for enlarging such an image merely spreads the same amount of information over a larger area. Nothing–no technique, no algorithm, no program–can enlarge a raster image and produce detail that did not exist in the original. Not Genuine Fractals, not Photoshop, nothing.

D
Dave
Jun 9, 2007
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:37:37 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

So what we’re talking about, then, is not whether programs like Genuine Fractals produce results that are as good as having a high-resolution image to begin with, but whether or not the results are "good enough."
But then, there is absolute no difference in what we are saying. I have not even once seen somebody asserting that the quality of a enlargement keeps the same value as the original. Everybody defending GF and colleagues, only holds that the end result is passable.
That leads back to my original two assertions: that no program, technique, or algorithm–not Genuine Fractals, nothing–can enlarge a raster (pixel) image and create detail that was not in the original; and that no program, technique, or algorithm will ever produce results as good as using an image of the proper size and resolution to begin with. Genuine Fractals is not a magic bullet, hysterical and breathless marketing hype aside.
And this again, leads back to the assertion that digital canvas printing businesses only exists because of enlargement applications.

Remember what I said – I am using 6 & 9 megapixel cameras, which is either the standard or even a bit higher than those of many users. If it was not for enlargement facilities, we would have been tied to 300 ppi A4’s. We do not let us tie down.

What do you use for a A1 or even poster size pic?

It produces results moderately better than Photoshop’s interpolation for some images, emphasis on "moderately" and "some images." Fractal interpolation produces better results on images with lots of high-frequency information that is not unified and is highly organic; bicubic interpolation produces better results on images with regular patterns and simpler shapes. For every image that Lizard Tech puts in a brochure showing better results with GF, I can find an image that shows better results with bicubic interpolation. And neither is, or ever will be, as good as starting with a high-resolution image to begin with.
I recall seeing you saying the same formerly, and most of us are in total agreement with it.
Never mind all this, this confirms we are talking the same language, only using different words.

Dave
T
Tacit
Jun 10, 2007
In article ,
Dave wrote:

But then, there is absolute no difference in what we are saying. I have not even once seen somebody asserting that the quality of a enlargement keeps the same value as the original. Everybody defending GF and colleagues, only holds that the end result is passable.

Actually, I have heard people assert that GF can produce results "indistinguishable" from a high-resolution image, which is an assertion I flatly reject.

And this again, leads back to the assertion that digital canvas printing businesses only exists because of enlargement applications.
Remember what I said – I am using 6 & 9 megapixel cameras, which is either the standard or even a bit higher than those of many users. If it was not for enlargement facilities, we would have been tied to 300 ppi A4’s. We do not let us tie down.

Yep. And for many people, good enough is, indeed, good enough.

Personally, when I’ve made large-format giclees, I’ve started from images that are high resolution–often, for example, images shot on 35mm or 120 format transparencies and then drum-scanned. One of my previous clients is an artist (he does oil paintings), and I prodiced a set of giclee and poster files for him.

The person who owns the shop that makes his giclee prints, which are typically 30×40" on canvas, is a huge fan of Genuine Fractals, and swore up and down that he could use a digital camera picture of the paintings and enlarge them using GF and get results "every bit as good" as a 200MB drum-scanned image. We humored him and tried it both ways, and put the results side by side next to each other. I’m sure you can guess what those results were. 🙂
What do you use for a A1 or even poster size pic?

I use a Canon AE-1 film camera with transparency film, or have it jobbed out to a photographer I work with who uses 120 format cameras.

I recall seeing you saying the same formerly, and most of us are in total agreement with it.
Never mind all this, this confirms we are talking the same language, only using different words.

Yep.

I have no problem with GF, as long as the people using it have realistic ideas about what it can or cannot do. What I don’t like is the rather over-the-top marketing hype I’ve seen used to advertise GF, the advertising techniques I’ve seen that I believe border on outright dishonesty, and the people who do in fact believe it is capable of doing things that it can’t do.

PJ
Papa Joe
Jun 17, 2007
On 2007-05-22 20:54:38 -0300, Rob said:

thanks

I use photoshop and genuine fractals, both are pretty close with fractals taking the lead if you stare at both for a very long time…

Better yet, let’s try and teach the original photographer or client to purchase and use Raw files at 16 bit.
Why do they all send the agencies the 8 bit JPG versions. If the prepress dept had the raw files ..we could blow it up to kingdom come! —
Welcome to Papa Joe’s
D
Dave
Jun 17, 2007
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:53:05 -0300, Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

Better yet, let’s try and teach the original photographer or client to purchase and use Raw files at 16 bit.
Why do they all send the agencies the 8 bit JPG versions. If the prepress dept had the raw files ..we could blow it up to kingdom come!

You make it sound as if you can blow raw files up unlimited. I click raw only if it is a planned and really valuable photo, and then, save it as tiff.

You should also keep in mind that some Printing Deps have either not got the facilities or the knowledge to do raw.

Dave
J
Joel
Jun 17, 2007
Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

thanks

I use photoshop and genuine fractals, both are pretty close with fractals taking the lead if you stare at both for a very long time…
Why do they all send the agencies the 8 bit JPG versions. If the prepress dept had the raw files ..we could blow it up to kingdom come!

I make money (not for living as I am a retired man) with image, and my DSLR camera can do RAW as well as I am pretty good with RAW etc. but I never care much for RAW (it’s ok but nothing to sing about).

And if you want to teach someone about RAW, how about teaching yourself not to blow the color channel of 8-bit JPEG else you shouldn’t have much or any problem (like most of us have been using JPEG years before RAW was born).
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 18, 2007
Dave found these unused words:

You make it sound as if you can blow raw files up unlimited. I click raw only if it is a planned and really valuable photo, and then, save it as tiff.

You should also keep in mind that some Printing Deps have either not got the facilities or the knowledge to do raw.

Dave

IME a 6MB RAW is equal to or better than a 10 MB jpg ‘original’ … take your ‘enlarging from there!

If a ‘printing dept’ can’t handle RAW, then they’re headed for obsolescence!
D
Dave
Jun 18, 2007
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:29:30 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Dave

IME a 6MB RAW is equal to or better than a 10 MB jpg ‘original’ … take your ‘enlarging from there!

Very interesting statement. I am using a 9MPX camera (Fuji Finepix s9600), so what size do you think can the raw’s been enlarged to?

Not necessarily, it simply depend on what their priorities is. I am dealing with to different printing co’s, both with the same franchise, but in different cities, some 17ks apart. The first do A4’s for half the price the second do, but they can not do TIF, and nothing bigger than A4. The 2nd do any size, and that is where I take the tiff’s to be printed on A1 size canvas. Because I have quite often work done there, I do get 25% discount.

The first is where I bought my last camera, and all accessories, polarizing filter, other filters, card readers etc. because they have more knowledge on cameras. The second know obviously more about printing.

*Complete off-topic*
I washed my hands and touched, with not completely dried hands, an A1 size print of a painting, and it messed up the paint on two different places. Small, lets say 1½ inc sq.
I had it reprinted, but want to recover the first as well, and bought (in a art shop) quite expensive kind of painting pens with brushes both sides. (don’t know what is called) I need more colors and after all, it can be as expensive as having it printed again.

I asked the printer whether he can print only those portions again, and he said I must take it in, so we can have a look. The portions to be printed over is rough areas, sea and clouds.

You think those small portions can be reprinted?

Dave
J
Joel
Jun 18, 2007
Dave wrote:

wrote:

Dave

Very interesting statement. I am using a 9MPX camera (Fuji Finepix s9600), so what size do you think can the raw’s been enlarged to?

Hahaha I don’t dream like that, but base on that statement

6R/10MP = 9R/x = 15MP

So you get 15MP camera for the price of 9MP <bg>
D
Dave
Jun 18, 2007
Joel wrote:

Sir F. A. Rien

Dave

Joel
6R/10MP = 9R/x = 15MP

That is exactly what it comes to, Joel 🙂
What a motivation for raw…!

Dave
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 18, 2007

wrote:

Dave

Dunno … it’s your camera and your work! Some may what you’ve done at 16×20 others accept 20×30. It all depends uipon the use and distance viewed, doesn’t it?

Not necessarily, it simply depend on what their priorities is. I am dealing with to different printing co’s, both with the same franchise, but in different cities, some 17ks apart. The first do A4’s for half the price the second do, but they can not do TIF, and nothing bigger than A4. The 2nd do any size, and that is where I take the tiff’s to be printed on A1 size canvas. Because I have quite often work done there, I do get 25% discount.

Necessarily and you’ve ‘proved’ my point by going to the second shop !!!

The first is where I bought my last camera, and all accessories, polarizing filter, other filters, card readers etc. because they have more knowledge on cameras. The second know obviously more about printing.

BINGO!

*Complete off-topic*
I washed my hands and touched, with not completely dried hands, an A1 size print of a painting, and it messed up the paint on two different places. Small, lets say 1½ inc sq.
I had it reprinted, but want to recover the first as well, and bought (in a art shop) quite expensive kind of painting pens with brushes both sides. (don’t know what is called) I need more colors and after all, it can be as expensive as having it printed again.

I asked the printer whether he can print only those portions again, and he said I must take it in, so we can have a look. The portions to be printed over is rough areas, sea and clouds.

You think those small portions can be reprinted?

Dave

That’s for the printer to say. I print solely on laser exposed photo paper and don’t have a ‘wet’ problem.
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 18, 2007

Joel wrote:

Sir F. A. Rien

Dave

Joel
6R/10MP = 9R/x = 15MP

Dave

Guess "Joel" hasn’t ever bothered to ‘enlarge’ with two images taken nearly same time and same exposure, one RAW, one JPG … eh?

Love these clueless unexperienced ‘hex spurts’.
PJ
Papa Joe
Jun 18, 2007
On 2007-06-17 19:18:53 -0300, Joel said:

Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

thanks

I make money (not for living as I am a retired man) with image, and my DSLR camera can do RAW as well as I am pretty good with RAW etc. but I never care much for RAW (it’s ok but nothing to sing about).

And if you want to teach someone about RAW, how about teaching yourself not to blow the color channel of 8-bit JPEG else you shouldn’t have much or any problem (like most of us have been using JPEG years before RAW was born).

Raw beats JPG on everything except file size.
If you’re going to edit an image in photoshop or enlarge it , Next time you’re using JPG ( or a converted JPG to PSD) take a look at your histogram while you modify it. It’s going to comb like a bastard because there is juts not enough data to work with.

Now go to a 8 bit tiff and you’ve got something with some more data… Now try a raw file and modify it to hell and back… you’ll see with your histogram that there’s way more information throughout the tonal range.

Welcome to Papa Joe’s
J
Joel
Jun 18, 2007
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Joel wrote:

Sir F. A. Rien
IME a 6MB RAW is equal to or better than a 10 MB jpg ‘original’ …. take your ‘enlarging from there!

Dave

Joel
6R/10MP = 9R/x = 15MP

Dave

Guess "Joel" hasn’t ever bothered to ‘enlarge’ with two images taken nearly same time and same exposure, one RAW, one JPG … eh?

JPEG has been feeding Joel with $$$$ for ages … way before RAW makes 9GP to 15GP <bg>. Joel has heard many RAW users said they stop using Photoshop because RAW is more than Photoshop etc..
J
Joel
Jun 18, 2007
Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

<snip>

If you’re going to edit an image in photoshop or enlarge it , Next time you’re using JPG ( or a converted JPG to PSD) take a look at your histogram while you modify it. It’s going to comb like a bastard because there is juts not enough data to work with.

Now go to a 8 bit tiff and you’ve got something with some more data… Now try a raw file and modify it to hell and back… you’ll see with your histogram that there’s way more information throughout the tonal range.

Yup! I have been seeing newbie stapping JPEG with RAW <bg>. I have been using JPEG for age and never care for TIFF.

And yes, I may use RAW converter more than most RAW worshippers, but RAW or COOKED all detailed work have to go through Photoshop before I start collecting $$$$. JPEG? I may have gone through hundreds of thousands, and probably 30-40K of RAW (just to learn more about RAW).
PJ
Papa Joe
Jun 19, 2007
On 2007-06-18 18:59:18 -0300, Joel said:

Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

<snip>
I make money (not for living as I am a retired man) with image, and
my
DSLR camera can do RAW as well as I am pretty good with RAW etc. but
I never
care much for RAW (it’s ok but nothing to sing about).

And if you want to teach someone about RAW, how about teaching
yourself
not to blow the color channel of 8-bit JPEG else you shouldn’t have
much or
any problem (like most of us have been using JPEG years before RAW
was
born).

If you’re going to edit an image in photoshop or enlarge it , Next time

you’re using JPG ( or a converted JPG to PSD) take a look at your histogram while you modify it. It’s going to comb like a bastard because there is juts not enough data to work with.

Yup! I have been seeing newbie stapping JPEG with RAW <bg>. I have been
using JPEG for age and never care for TIFF.

And yes, I may use RAW converter more than most RAW worshippers, but RAW or COOKED all detailed work have to go through Photoshop before I start collecting $$$$. JPEG? I may have gone through hundreds of thousands, and
probably 30-40K of RAW (just to learn more about RAW).

I didn’t understand a word you said "(

Welcome to Papa Joe’s
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 19, 2007
Papa Joe <Sorry> found these unused words:

On 2007-06-18 18:59:18 -0300, Joel said:

Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

<snip>
I make money (not for living as I am a retired man) with image, and
my
DSLR camera can do RAW as well as I am pretty good with RAW etc. but
I never
care much for RAW (it’s ok but nothing to sing about).

And if you want to teach someone about RAW, how about teaching
yourself
not to blow the color channel of 8-bit JPEG else you shouldn’t have
much or
any problem (like most of us have been using JPEG years before RAW
was
born).

If you’re going to edit an image in photoshop or enlarge it , Next time

you’re using JPG ( or a converted JPG to PSD) take a look at your histogram while you modify it. It’s going to comb like a bastard because there is juts not enough data to work with.

And yes, I may use RAW converter more than most RAW worshippers, but RAW or COOKED all detailed work have to go through Photoshop before I start collecting $$$$. JPEG? I may have gone through hundreds of thousands, and

He was making a joke of RAW vs COOKED (processed), but also shows that he’s learned very lilttle about file formats.

Dave: The point of RAW is that PS will work with the full range, then save in a LOSSLESS file format. From there you can export to whatever the customer wants and will ‘suffer’ the degredation of HIS/HER choice.

Ya dinna convert RAW to JPG !!!
J
Joel
Jun 19, 2007
Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

<snip>

Then don’t agree or disagree with whatever you don’t understand. <bg>
PJ
Papa Joe
Jun 20, 2007
On 2007-06-19 13:55:36 -0300, Joel said:

Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

<snip>

And yes, I may use RAW converter more than most RAW worshippers, but
RAW
or COOKED all detailed work have to go through Photoshop before I
start
collecting $$$$. JPEG? I may have gone through hundreds of
thousands,
and

I understood up to your post.
I didn’t get what your opinion was, so how could I critique it.

Welcome to Papa Joe’s
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 20, 2007

Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

<snip>

RAW
start
thousands,
and

Hey Papa, guess you’re not supposed to comment of GIGO ‘speech’. eh?

It’s the old saw … "Person convinced against his will,"
PJ
Papa Joe
Jun 20, 2007
On 2007-06-19 22:14:23 -0300, Sir F. A. Rien said:

Papa Joe <Sorry> wrote:

<snip>

RAW
start
thousands,
and

Hey Papa, guess you’re not supposed to comment of GIGO ‘speech’. eh?
It’s the old saw … "Person convinced against his will,"

🙂

Welcome to Papa Joe’s
PJ
Papa Joe
Jun 21, 2007
On 2007-06-18 18:54:21 -0300, Joel said:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Joel wrote:

Sir F. A. Rien
IME a 6MB RAW is equal to or better than a 10 MB jpg ‘original’
… take
your ‘enlarging from there!

Dave

Joel
6R/10MP = 9R/x = 15MP

Dave

Guess "Joel" hasn’t ever bothered to ‘enlarge’ with two images taken
nearly
same time and same exposure, one RAW, one JPG … eh?

JPEG has been feeding Joel with $$$$ for ages … way before RAW makes 9GP
to 15GP <bg>. Joel has heard many RAW users said they stop using Photoshop
because RAW is more than Photoshop etc..

Being pragmatic about JPG is part of the game.
Yes JPG is the new standard, this is based mostly on the needs of generic consumers and clients that are happy to be able to email their files to an agencies quickly. It was made to save space and become a standard file format for that reason and no other.

But remember, using JPG means you’re dropping quality for familiarity in "your" workflow.
If your still using JPG theses days, your workflow is below standard for a professional job.
Harddrives and computers can handle High res tiffs or Raw easily.

Yes, there is a lot of JPG’s out there… No it’s not the best format to edit, color correct or print. It’s the cheapest space saver, that’s it. It’s a compression and it degrades color and removes file information bytes, plus it gives the telltale "JPG squarish algorythm".

In essence, if you’re doing a million dollar project such as food shots for a calendar to be printed, and you’ve got JPG in your workflow… you’ve sadly reduced your experience to an amateur that prints posters at an indigo/digital press.

Please do not consider JPG as an equal to other formats in the graphic arts industry.
It is the most widely used format in the world, due to the web. it’s also one of the worst formats for print. You’ve made your choice and quality has nothing to do with it.
Either your in denial or your a newbie.

your point on the fact that JPG has made you money is true but irrevelant.

Welcome to Papa Joe’s

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections