Posted By
Zachariah_Milwood
Feb 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’ve read some tutorials on how to create realistic lightning bolts, but I do have one issue. I can create the bolts using the difference clouds, and changing the hue/sat settings and brightness settings. However, how can I make the black background disappear, thereby isolating the bolt? The tutorials I read said to change it to "screen" mode, which I did. But when I moved the layer to another file, the lightning was not visible at all. Am I missing a step? If I leave the layer in "normal" mode, it is visible but it has the black background. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JasonSmith
Feb 4, 2004
Double click on your lightning layer to pull up the layer styles dialog.

At the bottom – in the advanced blending options, you’ll see the ‘blend if’ section. In the upper part, try adjusting the sliders until the black dissapears.
ZM
Zachariah_Milwood
Feb 4, 2004
That did it! Thanks so much.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 4, 2004
You can also feather that mask by hitting alt(?) on the triangle – it will split and you can add as much feather as you like/need.

(Mac User alert: I think it’s ALT – It’s option on the Mac :))

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections