SK
Posted By
Sandie_Kerkvliet
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks to all the feedback on the issue of trying to turn a 1.3Mb photo into a 2mt x 1mt banner. Yep, I know that it won’t be as clear as it could be but, being a banner, it shouldn’t be too bad.

Based on your feedback, I would appreciate confirmation on what I believe you have recommended and some guidance re my other questions:

– open the jpg file in photoshop
– save the file as a photoshop psd file (or should I create a very large photoshop file with high res then place the jpg file and increase its size gradually?)
(- should I change to CMYK at this point?)
– make the changes (remove the tree, straighten the photo, add text etc) – upsize gradually by 10% increments resampling using bicubic (smooth) interpolation (do I increase the pixels and width/height by 10% each time, or just increase the pixels by 10% and let the width/height take care of themselves?)

If I want to check pixelation, turn off resampling, resize, then show print size.

Is there any benefit in saving the photo as a tif then placing it in Illustrator (I assume not?)

I know it’s a messy set of questions but all feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sandie.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 3, 2004
Hi Sandie,

I think this is overall the order of things that have been suggested:

1. Open the JPG and save it to a PSD or TIFF format.

2. Edit the file according to your needs before resizing it, but I think there would be an exception here that text should be added later if there is any plan to rasterize it by merging layers.

3. Enlarging in a single step may still provide good results with no need for an incremental resampling, according to what Philo has observed. If you take the incremental approach, I think the idea is to simply enter 110% into either of the dimension fields, with resampling and maintain aspect both enabled.

4. If you’re sending this file to a print shop where the file needs to be in CMYK mode, I’m not sure when that conversion should be made. I’m inclined to think it would be the last step.

5. To view at print size, you merely have to select View > Print Size. Resampling has nothing to do with how the view of the image is rendered on your monitor.

6. I’m not familiar with Illustrator, but I doubt saving the file as a TIFF and opening it in Illustrator would make any difference. Where things would matter is if your image was all vector data, which can be resized independent of resolution. I’d stick with Photoshop.

Hope that helps,

Daryl
RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 3, 2004

Only change to CYMK at the end. In fact you may not even need to as many large format printers accept RGB files so check with your supplier first!
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Feb 3, 2004
Illustrator will not help, unless you are skilled enough to trace out the photo and make several realistic gradient meshes to simulate the photo.
N
nbiwayne
Feb 4, 2004
wrote in message
Thanks to all the feedback on the issue of trying to turn a 1.3Mb photo
into a 2mt x 1mt banner. Yep, I know that it won’t be as clear as it could be but, being a banner, it shouldn’t be too bad.
Based on your feedback, I would appreciate confirmation on what I believe
you have recommended and some guidance re my other questions:
– open the jpg file in photoshop
– save the file as a photoshop psd file (or should I create a very large
photoshop file with high res then place the jpg file and increase its size gradually?)
– make the changes (remove the tree, straighten the photo, add text etc) – upsize gradually by 10% increments resampling using bicubic (smooth)
interpolation (do I increase the pixels and width/height by 10% each time, or just increase the pixels by 10% and let the width/height take care of themselves?)
If I want to check pixelation, turn off resampling, resize, then show
print size.
Is there any benefit in saving the photo as a tif then placing it in
Illustrator (I assume not?)
I know it’s a messy set of questions but all feedback would be
appreciated.
Cheers

Sandie.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections