SE
Posted By
sarah_elecko
May 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s been happening for awhile now, ever since I got this new computer.

HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook.

Whenever I go to use the tools within the program, when I go back to the canvas- the tool reverts back to pointer tool and is rendered useless. I’m very big with my photoshop program, and to see that it doesn’t work on my new computer is bugging the heck out of me. Recently, the tools won’t work at all. Not even if I use hotkeys. It just keeps reverting back to pointer/not changing from the pointer tool.

Halppp. ASAPPP.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
May 1, 2007
Did you try resetting the Preferences yet? (Details in the FAQs)
SE
sarah_elecko
May 1, 2007
That was the first thing I did, it helps it for awhile- but the problem is persistant.

I’d restart photoshop over and over, but it’s really about convienience. I don’t want to use this program if it continues to be a jerk.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 1, 2007
Sarah, how much RAM do you have, what are your Virtual Memory settings in Windows, and how much memory have you assigned to Photoshop in Preferences?
C
chrisjbirchall
May 1, 2007
it helps it for awhile- but the problem is persistant

Are you closing Photoshop properly before switching off your computer?
SE
sarah_elecko
May 1, 2007
990 MB of ram, and I let Photoshop use a good 700MB since I use it exclusivly most of the time I’m using it.

Annnnd for virtual memory settings, I have a system managed cache size currently allocated at 1488MB.

Also, I always shut down photoshop properly after I’m finished with it, but I usually just set my laptop to hibernate 😉
JJ
John Joslin
May 1, 2007
I never trusted "Hibernate" – heard bad things about it!
SE
sarah_elecko
May 1, 2007
I love the hibernate function, that and stand by are definately good friends with my laptop. Since usually I’m on the go and need to take notes down in a hurry. It’s useful just to be able to open it up, and still have my Microsoft OneNote running from the last time I used it. It’s not harsh on the battery either! But I digress. 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
May 1, 2007
Turn Photoshop memory back to 55%: the system needs it.

What are you using to move the cursor – mouse, touch-pad, Wacom, …?

Try updating or rolling back drivers.

Check video drivers and try reducing hardware acceleration to see if the problem goes away.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 2, 2007
Yes, with 1GB of RAM you shouldn’t be using 70% in PS. That leaves about 300K for the OS, plug-ins, AV, Bridge, and whatever, so there will be lots of paging to virtual memory. This is slow and will leave your machine unresponsive until it’s finished.

Also, you might consider changing your virtual memory settings; Photoshop engineer Chris Cox recommends setting initial=max=2*RAM, unless you have 2GB or more, in which case it would be 1.5*RAM.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections