Brightly-colored pixels appearing when using "Levels"?

JR
Posted By
Justin_Ross
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using my mate’s copy of Photoshop CS, playing with levels, and I noticed this. Not sure what’s going on. Can’t say I’ve ever seen this on my copy of 7. Just curious if there’s a setting I’m missing, or something.

Thanks!

<http://s88291715.onlinehome.us/wtf.jpg>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 3, 2004
Do they disappear after you close the Levels window? Those are clipped pixels, Pixels that are so dark they might as well be black.
JR
Justin_Ross
Feb 3, 2004
Nope. They stay there when I close the levels window. Also, if the image is desaturated, it still does the same thing, but the pixels it fills in are completely black (0,0,0).

/edit: Oh, and actually, when I do it in the desaturated image, and they turn black, it looks as though it’s happening to pixels that would otherwise be completely white. Maybe it’s like, looping back to black once it goes past white? lol
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 3, 2004
I’m trying to reproduce this… What exactly do you do with levels? If it appears simply by opening levels, then it’s the walls. Rob
JR
Justin_Ross
Feb 3, 2004
Basically, I open the levels dialog, and if I move the midtones slider a little to the left, the pixels show up. Then, if I move the white slider to the left, I can move WHERE the pixels are. If I slide it progressively left, I can cycle it through having almost every pixel change colors as I slide it. Not all at the same time, mind you. They go kind of in waves across different parts of the image.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 3, 2004
OK, got that.
What colour mode are you in? Is the image right out of the camera, or is it rendered anyway. I’ve seen this effect before, but then it was a video card issue, and then we wouldn’t be able to see it in the example.
Did you reboot to be certain?
Rob
BG
barry_gray
Feb 3, 2004
Looks like you’re holding down option(MAC)/ALT (WIN?) key as you drag highlite or shadow slider. That’s the feature for showing the lightest and darkest areas. Is that key stuck or?
JR
Justin_Ross
Feb 3, 2004
Photo’s straight out of the camera. I’m in RGB, 8 bits/pixel.

Happens in CMYK, and Grayscale, too.

I’m thinking a reinstall might be in order, unless you can think of anything else?
BG
barry_gray
Feb 3, 2004
Trash prefs first
JR
Justin_Ross
Feb 3, 2004
How do I do that on a PC?

And I’m not holding down ctrl or alt (nor are they stuck). This is a little different than that effect, and it stays after I hit OK.

Noooo fun. 🙁
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2004
are you running somehting like trillian (instant messager) that may be messing with the alt key?
JR
Justin_Ross
Feb 4, 2004
Yes, I use trillian, but this happens whether or not trillian is running, and, like I said, I can hold alt and move the slider, and get a completely different effect (everything turns black, except for the pixels that are going to be cut).

Thanks, though! 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 4, 2004
First isolate program v. image. Take the image to PS7 and see if it occurs there.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 5, 2004
My first guess would be bad RAM, followed by bad CPU.
JR
Justin_Ross
Feb 6, 2004
Doesn’t happen in 7.

Happens on multiple pictures.

Not at my friend’s house anymore. Downloaded the trial version of CS, and it doesn’t happen there, either.

I’m assuming it’s a bad copy he has. To be honest, he might have gotten a beta copy or downloaded it or something. I’ll have to ask him when he gets back. Thanks for all of your help, guys!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections