SY
Posted By
Sang-Ho Yun
Aug 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two images of similar sizes, but when I turn on the ruler in photoshop, the ruler length in the two images differ. In the following link http://www.stanford.edu/~shyun/beethovens.html you will find the snapshot of the images with rulers. The two images are shown with a zoom of 100%. Their sizes are 200×252 (WxH left) and 175×254 (right) pixels. The rulers are all in centimeters. Does anyone know why this happens?

Thank you in advance,
Sang-Ho

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Bill Hilton
Aug 24, 2005
In the following link
http://www.stanford.edu/~shyun/beethovens.html you will find the snapshot

I think the jpg is missing or misnamed? Doesn’t show up …
SY
Sang-Ho Yun
Aug 24, 2005
Sorry about that. I put the file in the server. Could you check it again?

Sang-Ho

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
In the following link
http://www.stanford.edu/~shyun/beethovens.html you will find the snapshot

I think the jpg is missing or misnamed? Doesn’t show up …
I
iehsmith
Aug 24, 2005
On 8/24/05 3:42 PM, Sang-Ho Yun uttered:

Their sizes are 200×252 (WxH left) and 175×254 (right) pixels.

Are the above the pixel dimensions show in Image Size?
SY
Sang-Ho Yun
Aug 24, 2005
Yes, the information is from Image Size under Image menu.

"iehsmith" wrote in message
On 8/24/05 3:42 PM, Sang-Ho Yun uttered:

Their sizes are 200×252 (WxH left) and 175×254 (right) pixels.

Are the above the pixel dimensions show in Image Size?
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Aug 24, 2005
"Sang-Ho Yun" wrote in message
I have two images of similar sizes, but when I turn on the ruler in photoshop, the ruler length in the two images differ. In the following link http://www.stanford.edu/~shyun/beethovens.html you will find the snapshot of the images with rulers. The two images are shown with a zoom of 100%. Their sizes are 200×252 (WxH left) and 175×254 (right) pixels. The rulers are all in centimeters. Does anyone know why this happens?

Because the PPI placeholder is different. Check the Image>Image size command for the value that’s recorded under "Resolution". You can change that value to whatever you want (the same for all images) if you first un-check the Resample Image box in that dialog.

Bart
I
iehsmith
Aug 24, 2005
On 8/24/05 6:10 PM, Bart van der Wolf uttered:

Because the PPI placeholder is different. Check the Image>Image size command for the value that’s recorded under "Resolution". You can change that value to whatever you want (the same for all images) if you first un-check the Resample Image box in that dialog.
Bart

If the images had been at different resolutions wouldn’t his pixel dimensions have been quite different though?

inez
O
Odysseus
Aug 24, 2005
In article <dei4gi$7o4$>,
"Sang-Ho Yun" wrote:

No doubt because the images have different resolutions. The "100%" view displays each *pixel* of an image using one pixel on your monitor, and the other percentages are all derived from this reference. Accordingly the rulers are scaled to match the image, not the converse. In your example the photo on the left has a lower sampling rate than the one on the right, so its rulers look smaller. Note that when you change an image’s dimensions in the Image Size dialog with resampling *unchecked*, only the rulers change. If you want to preview an image with the *rulers* at actual size, choose Print Size from the View menu; in this case the higher the resolution, the smaller the percentage shown in the title bar.

Odysseus
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Aug 24, 2005
"iehsmith" wrote in message
SNIP
If the images had been at different resolutions wouldn’t his pixel dimensions have been quite different though?

Nope. The "resolution" is the resolution in output, it has little to do with the original pixel size of the image at 100% zoom on the screen. Try changing the value (no resampling) on a duplicate image, and set the rulers on both to a print output size in mm or inches.

Bart
C
Caitlin
Aug 24, 2005
Thank you in advance,
Sang-Ho
because presumably the dpi of each is different
BH
Bill Hilton
Aug 24, 2005
the ruler length in the two images differ …

As others pointed out the images have different resolution settings … you can either check that the resolution numbers are always the same or you can change the ruler to display in pixels, which will be accurate regardless of the resolution. You can change the ruler units with Edit
Preferences > Units and Rulers in CS, maybe slightly different syntax in other versions.
I
iehsmith
Aug 25, 2005
On 8/24/05 8:01 PM, Bart van der Wolf uttered:

Nope. The "resolution" is the resolution in output, it has little to do with the original pixel size of the image at 100% zoom on the screen. Try changing the value (no resampling) on a duplicate image, and set the rulers on both to a print output size in mm or inches.

I’m talking about the pixel dimensions shown in Image Size: If you have a 1"X1" image at 72ppi the pixel dimensions are 72pxX72px. If you have a 1"X1" image at 300ppi the pixel dimensions are 300pxX300px.

When I asked the OP if the dimensions he had shown were the pixel dimensions shown in Image Size he replied "yes." If that were so, then something wuld definitely be amiss, correct?

inez
JW
Jason Warren
Sep 6, 2005
In article ,
says…

As others pointed out the images have different resolution settings … you can either check that the resolution numbers are always the same or you can change the ruler to display in pixels, which will be accurate regardless of the resolution. You can change the ruler units with Edit
Preferences > Units and Rulers in CS, maybe slightly different syntax in other versions.
Appropos of this topic… I had to zap the PS Pref’s a while back to get CS2 working properly again. I neglected to notice that (under Units and Rulers) the presumed screen resolution had been reset to 72ppi. This is almost always the wrong value given modern monitors. The ATI settings for my display adapter are set to the default value of 96ppi. Once I made that change (again), the rulers were displayed on screen at the actual size you’d expect, i.e., a cm on the ruler is a cm on the screen.

Jason

reverse my name in email address
C
Caitlin
Sep 8, 2005
"Jason Warren" wrote in message
In article ,
says…

Appropos of this topic… I had to zap the PS Pref’s a while back to get CS2 working properly again. I neglected to notice that (under Units and Rulers) the presumed screen resolution had been reset to 72ppi. This is almost always the wrong value given modern monitors. The ATI settings for my display adapter are set to the default value of 96ppi. Once I made that change (again), the rulers were displayed on screen at the actual size you’d expect, i.e., a cm on the ruler is a cm on the screen.
Jason

Thanks for that – hadn’t noticed that problem!
TQ
Tony Quattrucci
Oct 5, 2005
G’day guys,
just want to know how to make text look like it’s decayed and old? I’ve found a few photoshop tuts on the net but they are all beginner type stuff is there a way to get a really good decayed look, if so i would appreciate it

Thanks

Tony Q
R
Roberto
Oct 6, 2005
"Tony Quattrucci" wrote in message
G’day guys,
just want to know how to make text look like it’s decayed and old? […]

Sorry. Couldn’t read your message. Bit-Rot got to it.
AM
Andrew Morton
Oct 6, 2005
Tony Quattrucci wrote:
G’day guys,
just want to know how to make text look like it’s decayed and old? I’ve found a few photoshop tuts on the net but they are all beginner type stuff is there a way to get a really good decayed look, if so i would appreciate it

[You should start a new thread for a new topic rather than hijacking a current one.]

A google for "photoshop damaged text" brings up, e.g:- http://home.zonnet.nl/epragt/tutorials/photoshop/index.jsp.h tm

Andrew

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections