K
Posted By
Kevin
Aug 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have imported a number of JPEG images and then resized them using Transform within their layers. Visually, they now appear as rectangular boxes within beveled borders. However, since I sized them by eye, I can tell they do not all have exactly the same x/y dimensions.

I there a way I can settle on one of the images as a model, read its x/y dimensions, and then resize the others to match?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LI
Lorem Ipsum
Aug 23, 2005
"Kevin" wrote in message
I have imported a number of JPEG images and then resized them using Transform within their layers. Visually, they now appear as rectangular boxes within beveled borders. However, since I sized them by eye, I can tell they do not all have exactly the same x/y dimensions.
I there a way I can settle on one of the images as a model, read its x/y dimensions, and then resize the others to match?

Sure. See File – Automate – Fit Image
It remembers the last dimensions you used.
You can also use it in ‘batch’ to do as many as you like at once. Try automating from the file browser (if you have CS).
K
KatWoman
Aug 23, 2005
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
"Kevin" wrote in message

You can also use it in ‘batch’ to do as many as you like at once. Try automating from the file browser (if you have CS).

I have imported a number of JPEG images and then resized them using
Transform within their layers.

uh JPG format does not have layers
this seems like a very weird way to do resizing. Just use Image>size? why use transform? Transform is to manipulate parts of an image not to resize the whole picture.

if you need to resize a bunch of images for web usage try using "save for web" choose the image size in that palette.
If you have a bunch to do, record and action and run it on a folder of images using File>Automate
K
Kevin
Aug 23, 2005
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message

Thanks, but I’m not getting that to work: these are images I imported several days ago, and I’d rather not have to remove and re-import them. I highlight one of the layers in the palette (if I try to select the image directly, I get a "Could not select a layer because the point you clicked on is not inside the vector mask of a visible layer"), do File – Automate -Fit Image, and I get a box that says width is 576 and height is 359, but I don’t see a way to directly modify these dimensions.

Is there a way to do that?
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Aug 23, 2005
"Kevin" wrote in message
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

Thanks, but I’m not getting that to work: these are images I imported several days ago, and I’d rather not have to remove and re-import them. I highlight one of the layers in the palette (if I try to select the image directly, I get a "Could not select a layer because the point you clicked on is not inside the vector mask of a visible layer"), do File – Automate -Fit Image, and I get a box that says width is 576 and height is 359, but I don’t see a way to directly modify these dimensions.

First, I presume you wish to change the dimensions of the entire image. Am I correct? If I am, then Yes sir, there is a way to change the Fit Image size. Just put your cursor into the box and change the dimensions to the maximum you will accept in each dimension.

However, if you aren’t forcing every image to exactly the same size, then it might be easier to use "image size". That will reduce the entire image, all layers in acccord. You can then save it as a different name if you wish to keep the originals intact. You can use an ‘action’ to automate it. If this sounds daunting, perhaps we can step you through the first one. Once you see how easily it is done, and how fast it is, I think it will change the way you work.
K
Kevin
Aug 23, 2005
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

First, I presume you wish to change the dimensions of the entire image. Am I correct? If I am, then Yes sir, there is a way to change the Fit Image size. Just put your cursor into the box and change the dimensions to the maximum you will accept in each dimension.
However, if you aren’t forcing every image to exactly the same size, then it might be easier to use "image size". That will reduce the entire image, all layers in acccord. You can then save it as a different name if you wish to keep the originals intact. You can use an ‘action’ to automate it. If this sounds daunting, perhaps we can step you through the first one. Once you see how easily it is done, and how fast it is, I think it will change the way you work.

Thanks, but I think the mist is clearing. What frustrated me was that Image Size only reflects the entire image (I see Link symbol), not the five or six small image each in its own layer that I used to build it. I understand now that I should settle on a size for the smaller images and set them with Image Size as I import each. Thanks for your patience.
N
noone
Aug 24, 2005
In article , says…
"Kevin" wrote in message

Thanks for this tip. I had never noticed Fit Image – might be useful in the future.

Hunt
N
noone
Aug 24, 2005
In article <LmJOe.10287$p% says…

Kevin,

It looks like you’ve gotten some very good suggestions and thoughts on your project. One caveat, that I’d like to add, is to always use the pixel dimensions for all of your resizing needs. If one uses inches, or other dimensions, except for pixels, there is a chance of getting it very close, but off by a pixel. I’ve faced this with images that had masks in the Alpha Channel, and then having a 1 pixel edge, where my "inches" rounded off by 1. Not a biggie, but once you have to "repair" a dozen images, one remembers.

Hunt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections