JB
Posted By
Jack Black
Apr 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, folks! I need your hand on something…

I have a PSD that I’ve created, containing a transparent background and all of the necessary elements on their own layers. I’m trying to save the result as a transparent GIF (background transparent). However, whenever I change the image from RGB to Indexed, all of the text layers go to hell! Result looks like complete crap!

Am I missing something here? I recall that in older PS when you wanted to save a GIF with a transparent background you could select all of the colors you wanted to make transparent, but that doesn’t seem to work anymore. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

E
edjh
Apr 12, 2004
Jack Black wrote:

I have a PSD that I’ve created, containing a transparent background and all of the necessary elements on their own layers. I’m trying to save the result as a transparent GIF (background transparent). However, whenever I change the image from RGB to Indexed, all of the text layers go to hell! Result looks like complete crap!
Am I missing something here? I recall that in older PS when you wanted to save a GIF with a transparent background you could select all of the colors you wanted to make transparent, but that doesn’t seem to work anymore. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack
Use File>Save for Web.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
JB
Jack Black
Apr 12, 2004
I did… same thing happens. 😉

Jack

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:22:48 GMT, edjh wrote:

Use File>Save for Web.
AA
Adelson Anton
Apr 12, 2004
Gif has only 1 bit transparency. Try to save in PNG 😉

Jack Black wrote:
I did… same thing happens. 😉
L
Littleboy
Apr 12, 2004
Perhaps you have applied layer effects to the text layers?

In case of layers where effects are applied, it can help to merge you image visible (merge visible) first, and then choose "save for the web".

Greets

Littleboy

"Jack Black" wrote in message

Thanks,
Jack
B
broga
Apr 13, 2004
Have you tried rasterising the text layers before saving?

www.micromountain.com
"Jack Black" wrote in message

Thanks,
Jack
O
OuTpaTienT
Apr 22, 2004
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:57:27 -0700
in alt.graphics.photoshop
Jack Black muttered something like this:

Thanks,
Jack

Well, here’s the right answer:

When saving to the GIF format and using transparency you NEED to use a matte color. The matte color should be set to whatever color you intend to have behind the GIF image as the background. IOW, if you’re going to use the GIF with transparency on a web page over a black background, then set the GIF matte color to black. If it’s for use on a web page that uses mostly blue, then you’d want to set your matte color to the correct shade of blue.

You can set the matte color in the "save for web.." dialog box.

If the image is going to be used in multiple places possibly over different color backgrounds, then you need to make seperate GIF files with seperate matte colors to match each background. This is one of the limitations of the GIF format. Without a matte color, as you have discovered, GIF files with tranparency look simply horrible.

Hope that helps. good luck.

OuTpaTienT / outpatient°AT°rocketmail°DOT°com
http://www.0utpatient.com
http://www.oeyec.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections