Z
Posted By
zsolnai4
Jan 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best way to convert images to 3 dimension, viewing with red and cyan or blue glasses. Taking 2 snapshots of the same subject ( the second shot
few inches to the right) and copying the red channel of the first shot and pasting in the red channel of the second image. I know this process, but I am
interested in only using an existing single image.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
John_Slate
Jan 27, 2004
The 3d effect is reliant on presenting different images to each eye, so working with the same image would not give the 3d sensation, unless you went to the trouble of shifting areas around in one shot or the other, and then, presuming you did it correctly, it would look like 2d cutouts floating above a 2d background.

While the channel paste method works, I prefer to use layers, having the image for the left eye filled with white on the Green and Blue channels (to create a cyan looking image), and on the top layer, set to multiply, having the image for the right eye filled with white on the red channel (for a red image).

Then you can shift the layers around to align whatever imagery that you want to be the initial focal point,
RW
Rene_Walling
Jan 27, 2004
Then you’re out of luck. The whole process works because both shots have a slightly different perspective.

You may be able to fake it from a single shot with some very careful retouching, but I wouldn’t even attempt it.
JS
John_Slate
Jan 27, 2004
Then again, if you want the 2-d cutout floating effect, you can always play with layers and image offsets like this. <http://members.aol.com/jslate0112/forum_uploads/Cutouts.jpg>

Only single images were used, and the floor grid (with shadows) was given a perspective distort 2 different directions, and the cutouts were then moved to match the shadow positions on the floor.
RW
Rene_Walling
Jan 27, 2004
Good one John!

I never thought of doing it like that before.
J
JasonSmith
Jan 27, 2004
I did find a plug-in that emulates the 3D effect – I posted it in the lounge a few months back.
J
JasonSmith
Jan 27, 2004
Here’s a stand alone package that will do 3d < http://www.tabberer.com/sandyknoll/more/3dmaker/3dmaker.html>

For $5us and with a last name of Knoll, how can you go wrong?
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2004
Then again, if you want the 2-d cutout floating effect, you can always play with layers and image offsets like this.

John, that’s wonderful!

Would you mind explaining the technique you used to do that step by step, or at least in some greater detail? Kind of a mini tutorial? Pretty please? 🙂

Thanks, dave
JS
John_Slate
Jan 29, 2004
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2004
Thankee, Sai! Added to davespstips.txt file! 🙂
RB
Richard Byrne
May 2, 2004
I’ve used this app a few times and it’s very good. Also does those 3D pictures that move when you tilt them.

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s22411067.einsundeinsshop.de/ses s/utn153e4fa91e70c68/shopdata/index.shopscript

Richard

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections