Photoshop CS crashes when using the magic wand tool.

JD
Posted By
John_Doe_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When using the magic wand tool, PhotoShop CS crashes. I get the error message that wants to send Microsoft a report of what happened, then PS shuts down. I can use the magic wand tool a few times on an image, then it crashes. This is also happening to another friend of mine. We are both running the lastest and greatest computers form Dell. It’s their highest end system, meaning they are brand new, and both are maxed out with RAM, hard drive capacity, video cards, etc. They are also both running WIN XP Pro.(these are $6000 systems).
It almost sounds like they’re running out of RAM, since the magic wand tool does work a few times on one image, but then stops working after repeated uses of the tool. We’ve tried increasing the "scratch disk" size, but to no avail.
Is this a common problem?….maybe needing a patch of some sort? We never had this problem running PS 7 on these machines, so any suggetions would be helpful. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 26, 2004
seems something is going on john… why don’t you post to this thread so the adobe people can keep it all in one place.

Robert Levine "Photoshop CS Magic Wand bug" 12/16/03 5:58am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

edit: there’s a couple of workarounds in there too!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections