MV
Posted By
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was writing this up for a friend somewhere else, and thought I might as well post it here for those that are not aware.

Advanced Layer Blending in Photoshop can be used for a great many things. Amongst those are halo less sharpening. I think I became aware of ALB about two years ago, and I have used it since in many different techniques.

Here´s how to reduce halos when sharpening (its a quick example, mind you):

The lower of the three is unsharpened. I duplicated that layer, and obscenely oversharpened with USM (middle).

Then I right-clicked that layer, and set the blending options like this:

Which resulted in what you see on top (still a little too sharp, but you can simply reduce the opacity of the layer to taste).

You do this by Alt-dragging the triangle sliders to create a semi-transparent blend of the extreme whites and extreme blacks, in order to emphasize the midtones of the current layer. You can quickly determine how far you must go by simply dragging the endpoints to where the annoying halos dissappear, then split the endpoint to this position to blend it.

You can use this technique with other layer based sharpening techniques such as High Pass sharpening and others with great effect, as you can sharpen much more without visible halos.

This is a variation dubbed midtone sharpening.

Enjoy

Mathias

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Jan 23, 2004
This will be copied to the Photoshop Lounge Resource Repository <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.2ccdf937>.

Thanks, Mathias!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 23, 2004
thanks, mat. thanks phos.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jan 23, 2004
Thank you Mathias.

Bill
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 23, 2004
Once again, Mathias to the rescue. I am constantly searching for creative sharpening techniques, and this one hits the mark. This’ll be two of Mathaias’ techniques that I’ll use routinely, the other being High Pass sharpening. I’m beginning to think I owe you some money… (not).

Great job Mathias.

Peace,
Tony
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 24, 2004
If one is so unfortunate to start out with an oscenely oversharpened image, hey it could happen, it is ofcourse not possible to blend back to original.

To restore this image from sharpen artifact hell (bottom), I duplicated the layer, then applied Gaussian Blur, just enough to blend the halos completely, and then I applied Advanced Layer Blending approximately as the illustration <http://www.96ppi.net/temp/sharpeningsettings.gif> in my original post, only with lower opacity (60% seems appropriate).

If one wishes, the last remaining visible artifacts can be tediously combatted with the Blur Tool: Use a small, soft brush with very low opacity (3-5) and use Lighten and or Darken blend mode along halos and artifacts. If you do this evenly to the image, you can even re-apply sharpening afterwards.

After a few minutes of blur work at high zoom, and a final bit of sharpening, this is the result:

Mat
CB
Cathy_Brown
Jan 24, 2004
Thanks, Mathias!
ND
Nick_Decker
Jan 24, 2004
Ditto, Mat, excellent tutorial! I wish more folks would use this forum in the same way. I think that too often we get caught up in bitching about one thing or another (yes, I’m guilty, too), and forget that it’s a good place to learn.

Nick
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jan 24, 2004
Thanks, Mat!

This provides added control over the old oversharpen-then-fade-effect-using-luminosity-blending-mode method that I use most of the time. I shall study it at the first opportunity.

=-= Harron =-=
L
Lundberg02
Jan 24, 2004
This is what is meant by mastering Photoshop.
Bravo, Mat
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 25, 2004
You are welcome.

I was thinking that I could write a small tip once in a while if you want to read them. It could motivate me to write enough quick tips to put on some webspace later on. The tips could include all sorts of methods I have used and developed from print over web to photography.

Would you think such a contribution would be worthwhile to the list? Ofcourse it is mostly a contribution to the regular readers here. I could mark my tips with a * and include ‘quick tutorial’ in the headings, maybe write one each week for as long as I feel like it?

What say you?

You are welcome to contribute your feedback, and also steal this idea!

I rely on the mercy of our hosts regarding illustrations. Is a header warning of pictures necessary?

Mat
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 25, 2004
What say you?

I say "yea". Without question.
P
Phosphor
Jan 25, 2004
Mathias…

I’d love to see as many tips of this calibre as you care to put together.

But, please forgive me. I copied this one into the P.L.R.R. without asking your permission first. I made an assumption that, since you posted here, that it would be OK to make it a permanent entry in the Repository.

Was I wrong to do that? If so, I can remove it. Also, if you decide you want to amend it, make additions or corrections—whatever, let me know, and I’ll also fix it in the P.L.R.R.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 25, 2004
No, I considered giving you the intellectual property speech, but only in jest 😉

Perfectly fine place to store them in the long run, but I´d like to post them here first, in ‘my’ PS Win forum 🙂

I encourage others to post their favourite tips in similar ‘quick tut’ form, it really doesnt take that long to write tips for experienced users.
PC
Patty_Clarke
Jan 25, 2004
Would you think such a contribution would be worthwhile to the list? Of course it is mostly a contribution to the regular readers here. I could mark my tips with a * and include ‘quick tutorial’ in the headings, maybe write one each week for as long as I feel like it? What say you? (quote from Mathias post)

Then Nick said,

Ditto, Mat, excellent tutorial! I wish more folks would use this forum in the same way. I think that too often we get caught up in bitching about one thing or another (yes, I’m guilty, too), and forget that it’s a good place to learn.

Forgive me my lack of html lingo to appropriately quote and refer to the above messages–but, allow me to add my heartfelt words.

Mathias, anytime you are "in the mood" to share such wonderful tutorials and valuable information, please know that there are lots of us who treasure your words of wisdom and truly appreciate your efforts.

Nick said it best…

Patty:)
T
Terrat
Jan 25, 2004
Mathias,
Enjoyed seeing something like this here!

I especially like the idea of putting "__a quick tutorial" in each subject line so that I could find it again, hopefully, with the search engine.

Thanks for taking the time and effort of writing it all out for us; good works.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 26, 2004
What say you?

You need to ask in this group of knowlege hounds Mat?!! 🙂

I say YES PLEASE! AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO SHARE!!!

(AND DO YOU NEED YOUR CAR WASHED?!!) <g>
KS
Ken_Storch_(aka_photon)
Jan 26, 2004
Yes, your efforts are always appreciated Mathias.

Ken Storch
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks Mathias, I tried it, and it works great.
Interresting, When I move the layer’s opacity slider I seem to pass some sort of a minimum (of the halo). This suggests that eliminating a halo would not be maximum at 100% opacity.
Sometimes this effect is very visible (texture, surface-like things, grass, rock) and somtimes a "minimum" is only visible at the end of the opacity slider. (Pattern-like things as shooting through a fence with light sky behind it).
Well done! This will be added to my tutorial map.
Rob
TM
Trevor_Morris
Jan 26, 2004
Mathias,

Seems a "no-brainer" – bring on the quick tips! 😉
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 27, 2004
Mathias: interesting technique. Since halos are only reduced for dark and light regions, not midtones, wouldn’t the optical illusion of sharpening but less halos just depend on how much of the image was in the midtone region?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 27, 2004
Philo – that is controllable via the sliders in ALB. It´s like a ‘non-destructive weightened Fade’. And this is why you must sharpen more agressively with midtone sharpening. As you can see in the agressive example in OP, the contrast is enhanced around contrasty elements, only without visible haloing.

Here´s a real-world example of an image sharpened this way, but with an edge mask: <http://www.96ppi.net/temp/gozo1.jpg>

I use a variety of sharpen techniques on my images, but I almost always incorporate ‘weightening’.

Mat
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 28, 2004
Since halos are only reduced for dark and light regions

Remember, we are blending the top layer into the background layer, we are not blending the background layer into the top layer.

We are blending in order to hide the extreme white and black haloes of the modified layer.

More about ALB later.

Mat
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 28, 2004
Yes, Mathias, but an extreme light halo for a light object may be appropriate, as would an extreme black halo for a very dark object. Short of extreme USM, midtone objects shouldn’t have very light or dark halos anyway.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 28, 2004
Philo, not sure I understand; light halos for light objects? Do you mean dark halo for light objects (USM)?

Is this a case at hand? I must say that I use this technique on even high-contrast images. – Which are especially prone to halos using USM.

Mathias
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 28, 2004
If the USM is set for luminosity (rather than lighten or darken) a very light object adjacent to a light object should get two halos: one lighter than the very light object and another darker than the light object. If you pull in the "this layer" left half of the white triangle, you will minimize the very light halo. Is this a good thing?
I’m not sure. Yes, if a midtone transition between two coloured objects gets a very dark and very light halo from too high an USM setting, it would be beneficial to reduce this. But what about light or dark objects next to each other? Don’t you want an increase in the transition line contrast? Am I missing something?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 30, 2004
My only advice is to try the method yourself and see if it is applicable. As I´m sure you know, every image has their separate needs.

But I will say that because it is a semi-transparent blend we are creating, there is a very visible increase in line contrast. Sometimes two sharpen layers with same settings can enhance this.

Mathias

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections