BC
Posted By
Beth_Coffey
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is perhaps more a question about the Windows operating system so I hope this is not the wrong forum for a question like this, but maybe one of you will know. I work on Windows 2000 with Photoshop 7.0 and 8.0. While I worked with Photoshop 7.0, all the icons for image files showed a small thumbnail preview of the image. This was really convenient. Since my boss installed 8.0 on my work station, the operating system has taken over some random Photoshop icon, and I can’t find the icon file type which creates the preview icon. I don’t know if it’s in the Photoshop or Windows directory, but I can’t find anything. Has anyone else ever had this problem? If so, where the icon file type is that would give me the thumbnail preview again? Once I know what file it is, I know how to direct Windows to it.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!
Beth

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Jan 23, 2004
Beth,

From the Photoshop CS Readme file:

Thumbnail Icons for .psd files

Photoshop CS no longer provides thumbnail icons of .psd files through operating system folder windows. Please use the File Browser to view your ..psd thumbnail files.

The topic has been discussed to death here – do a forum search on image preview if you want to read more…
JJ
John_Joslin
Jan 24, 2004
Len,
I know this has been discussed to death (I followed it, hoping for a ray of hope which never came) but I really think Adobe has underestimated the workflow problems which this has caused Windows XP users. The browser is a fine tool and, used to the full, can do amazingly productive things but it is NOT an Explorer substitute (and shouldn’t be). It doesn’t even have a ‘Back’ button! The main thing is that the need to start (slowly!) PS, with its resource overheads, just to manage image assets that used to be done instantly with a click on Explorer is just not acceptable. In the age of digital cameras the quantity of images has increased exponentially and we can’t spend time naming everything (yes, I used to!). The Adobe reaction to a problem has not been to engineer a solution but to cripple an essential feature as a quick and dirty fix.
Cheers – John
Remember the good ole Compuserve days?
L
LenHewitt
Jan 24, 2004
John,

Remember the good ole Compuserve days?<<

With deep nostalgia and fondness! <g>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections