Distorting rectangular photo into desired shape.

MB
Posted By
Mark_Bialek
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is my first entry in the Adobe forum and I have a question to ask that I hope someone can answer.

I have developed artwork which will be implimented for a paper cup design. The artwork is now rectangular in shape.

If you take a paper cup apart you will have the right and left sides of the shape point up into a V. The top and bottom horizontal axis’s will curve up, making a circular edge. This will give you a cup shape if you roll the right and left edges together.

I have the cup layout scanned as a photo that I will use as a template.

How can I take the rectangular image that I have and distort or alter it to fit the shape that I described? Any help will be appreciated!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jan 23, 2004
Rotate the canvas 90ΒΊ. Then use the Shear filter to bend the image.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jan 23, 2004
Thinking about this some more, you’d have to follow what I said previously with Free Transform to get the wedge shape.

A more accurate way, though, would be this: figure out what the diameter would be if you arranged many of them like the petals of a flower, and make a square image this long on each side. Paste your template into this, so that the larger rounded end just touches the edge of the image. There will be tons of empty white space, but it is neccessary. Run the Polar Coordinates filter with the ‘Polar to Rectangular’ option. Your template should now be a rectangle. Put your artwork in that rectangle, and run Polar Coordinates again, this time using ‘Recangular to Polar’. Finally, use the Crop tool to get rid of all the extraneous white space.
MB
Mark_Bialek
Jan 24, 2004
Thanks so much! I tried your first suugestion and found that I had to add to the canvas so that the image would not bleed off of the edge of the frame.

I will try your followup and see how it works. Thanks again!
JS
John_Slate
Jan 24, 2004
to add to John’s very excellent suggestion, make sure you don’t put your template to the top or it will get cut in 1/2 by the polar-to-rectangular move.

I would put it with the long side to the bottom.

The your gonna put your picture upside down, and also anamorphically squeeze it into the rectangle.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections