Saving as a PDF… should I check the color boxes?

NV
Posted By
Nick_V.
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My client has asked specifically for a PDF for an advertisement I’m putting together. I assembled it in Photoshop 7, and have saved it as a layered PDF. It looks fine and prints fine, but my question is this…

If I am sending it to a professional printer, should I check off either of the "color" boxes on the save as menu? Specifically, they are:

Use Proof Setup: Working CMYK
and
ICC Profile: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2

My hunch (I’m kinda new to this) is that I should be saving it with the CMYK setup. However, when I do this, it automatically saves it as a copy, rather than a layered file. I don’t know if this degrades the print quality or not. Can anyone help? Thanks!

– Nick

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
Jan 23, 2004
Nick,

Just check the ICC Profile box
GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Jan 23, 2004
Len,

Excuse me, but what’s the difference between checking ‘Use proof setup’ or not?

I’ve always wondered myself…
NV
Nick_V.
Jan 23, 2004
"Just check the ICC Profile box"

Thank you, but perhaps you could explain the differences? This would be useful information.

– Nick
L
LenHewitt
Jan 23, 2004
Hi Gustavo,

what’s the difference between checking ‘Use proof setup’ or not?<<

Not sure I can do much better than the Photoshop Help file explains it…Specifically the "Selecting this option converts the document’s colors to the proof profile space and is useful for creating an output file for print. "

To change the embedding behavior of a profile in a document:

1.. Choose File > Save As.
2.. Do one of the following:
a.. To toggle the embedding of the document’s current color profile, select or deselect ICC Profile (Windows) or Embed Color Profile (Mac OS). This option is available only for the native Photoshop format (.psd) and PDF, JPEG, TIFF, EPS, DCS, and PICT formats.
b.. To toggle the embedding of the document’s current proof profile, select or deselect Use Proof Setup (available for PDF, EPS, DCS 1.0, and DCS
2.0 formats only). Selecting this option converts the document’s colors to
the proof profile space and is useful for creating an output file for print. For information on setting up a proof profile, see Soft-proofing colors.
3.. Name the document, choose other save options, and click Save.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 23, 2004
In addition to the other info you’ve gotten, there’s really no need to save it as a layered PDF. Save the PSD file for your own use and send the PDF without layers but with any text or vector data retained.

This will keep the file size down and avoid any problems that an older RIP might have handling the Photoshop layers.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
Jan 24, 2004
Hi Bob,

Got any cash left? <g>
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 24, 2004
Got any cash left? <g>

As a matter of fact, I came back with the same amout I left with, even after spending money on food, etc. So I did okay.

Had a blast. The weather was perfect–60 F and sunny everyday–shows were fantastic and the place was just plain fun. We even took a side trip to see the Hoover Dam. Quite an impressive structure.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
Jan 24, 2004
Bob,

The weather was perfect–60 F and sunny everyday<<

OK, I’m jealous!
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 24, 2004
OK, I’m jealous!

Don’t be. I’m back in New Jersey where it’s a balmy 15 F and we’re waiting to get more snow dumped on us.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 26, 2004
Gotta love those Joisey winters. I just booked may in disney world and I’m thinking warm thoughts! Look out for the nexr 2 or 3 days of snow bob!
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 26, 2004
I can hardly wait. Thanfully, I have a snow blower. I’m getting too old for this.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections