jspaanderman
Jun 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Warren Sarle" …
"Michael Greer" wrote in message
I want to write an action for making a proof sheet. Each sheet/page will have 4 images. This is what I need to occur:

1) Create background page
2) Load 1st image
3) Resize Image to proof size
4) copy resized image and paste as new layer in background page
5) close resized image
6) Load 2nd image
7) Repeat steps 3 thru 5
8) Load 3rd image
9) Repeat steps 3 thru 5
10) Load 4th image
11) Repeat steps 3 thru 5
12) Save proof sheet
13) Create background page for second prrof sheet
14) Repeat 2 thru 12

This process continues until all images have been exhausted.
I have two problems that I can’t figure out. t seems as though I need to write an action and then use the "File->Automate->Batch" function.
1) How do I "tell" the action to get the required image files from the
Batch command?

As far as I know, the Batch command will insist on applying an action to every selected image. You can’t get it to operate on groups of four images.

2) Are ther "If-then" clauses in actions?

No.

I need the action to size the
image one way if it’s a portrait oriented image, and another way if it’s a landscape image. How do I do this?

If you have some programming experience, preferably with Javascript, VBScript, or Applescript, you could use the Photoshop Scripting plug-in, which is a free download from Adobe. It is poorly documented, but there is a Photoshop scripting forum/newsgroup where you can often obtain advice.

As far as I know a standard action is included in Photoshop 6.0 (and higher) which automatically generates contactsheets:

MENU > FILE > AUTOMATE >CONTACT SHEET II

You can make perfect contact sheets with this action! You choose a folder with images (even sub-folders can be chosen) You set a resolution and a size for the images and colourspace (RGB or CMYK) and make a layout for the thumbnails (e.g. four images per page or whatever) Even the filenames are automatically placed under each image in a desired Typeface and size!

Jaap

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections