Can anyone recommend a *good* Photoshop CS2 book?

DP
Posted By
Dot Proulx
Jun 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m not exactly a newbie at Photoshop, but I’m still really an amateur. And I learn best from books. Can anyone recommend a really good one for CS2?

Thanks,
Dot

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CF
Craig Flory
Jun 9, 2005
You will never go wrong with a book by Scott Kelby. And Daniel Giordan has good books on Photoshop. I own several by Scott on CS and one by Dan and all are very good. I’m sure people who own CS2 will give you good titles but these two men write great Photoshop books. Scott Kelby is the head of NAPP … the National Association of Photoshop Professionals and really knows his stuff.
Craig Flory
H
Hecate
Jun 9, 2005
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:11:54 GMT, "Craig Flory" wrote:

You will never go wrong with a book by Scott Kelby.

Then again, you’ll never go right either 🙂 And that’s if you can stand the extremely unfunny and corny text.

And Daniel Giordan has
good books on Photoshop. I own several by Scott on CS and one by Dan and all are very good. I’m sure people who own CS2 will give you good titles but these two men write great Photoshop books. Scott Kelby is the head of NAPP .. the National Association of Photoshop Professionals and really knows his stuff.

If it’s flashy and you might use it once in a lifetime. 🙂

Try the Adobe Classroom in a Book. It’ll give you a good grounding in Photoshop. Then go to a book store (even if you’re going to buy online) and browse the books, read a little and buy one that appeals to you.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
N
noone
Jun 10, 2005
In article <d89se3$7uu$ says…
I’m not exactly a newbie at Photoshop, but I’m still really an amateur. And I learn best from books. Can anyone recommend a really good one for CS2?
Thanks,
Dot

Dot,

You might also give some info as to how you plan on using PS, and what you want it to do for you. Many of the books are geared toward one aspect, or another. This does not mean that there isn’t something to be learned from most, only that you might get more out of a tome designed for how you want PS to perform.

For instance, if you are a photographer, or work with photographer’s work in pre-press, or image assembly for CMYK printing, I’d recommend Adobe Photoshop XX (fill in the version that you have) Studio Techniques, Ben Wilmore, Adobe Press.

Hecate’s suggestion of CIAB is probably the first place to start, then move on from there. Unfortunately, I do not know Craig’s suggested books, but bet they are excellent, as well.

Hunt
DP
Dot Proulx
Jun 10, 2005
Good idea, Hunt. BTW, I’ve found this newsgroup invaluable for picking up tips. If I had time to read all the postings, I probably wouldn’t need a book.

I’m a decidedly amateur but serious photographer who has generally gotten better over the last 30 years of "taking pictures." I love both my Nikon N70 and my D100. Most photos are taken at family events, vacations, dog shows, or just messing around in my gardens at home. –nothing in studios, nothing for the printing industry.

I’ve used computers for even longer, so it’s a natural fit to want to combine the two hobbies. I used to scan in my photos to work on them in Photoshop, but digital makes it so much easier…

I use Photoshop to enhance my own work for my own use. I often do color corrections and use levels for less than perfect lighting–and to make the photos "pop." I crop for better composition. So what I want is to learn features of this very complicated program and which is best for what I’m trying to do.

Dot

"Hunt" wrote in message
| In article <d89se3$7uu$
says…
| >
| >I’m not exactly a newbie at Photoshop, but I’m still really an amateur. And
| >I learn best from books. Can anyone recommend a really good one for CS2? | >
| >Thanks,
| >Dot
|
| Dot,
|
| You might also give some info as to how you plan on using PS, and what you | want it to do for you. Many of the books are geared toward one aspect, or | another. This does not mean that there isn’t something to be learned from | most, only that you might get more out of a tome designed for how you want PS
| to perform.
|
| For instance, if you are a photographer, or work with photographer’s work in
| pre-press, or image assembly for CMYK printing, I’d recommend Adobe Photoshop
| XX (fill in the version that you have) Studio Techniques, Ben Wilmore, Adobe
| Press.
|
| Hecate’s suggestion of CIAB is probably the first place to start, then move on
| from there. Unfortunately, I do not know Craig’s suggested books, but bet they
| are excellent, as well.
|
| Hunt
|
DP
Dot Proulx
Jun 10, 2005
Oh, and I should have added that I’ve scanned in the family photo archive that goes back to about 1900. Some of these photos need a lot of help, as you can imagine.
Dot

"Dot Proulx" wrote in message
| Good idea, Hunt. BTW, I’ve found this newsgroup invaluable for picking up | tips. If I had time to read all the postings, I probably wouldn’t need a | book.
|
| I’m a decidedly amateur but serious photographer who has generally gotten | better over the last 30 years of "taking pictures." I love both my Nikon | N70 and my D100. Most photos are taken at family events, vacations, dog | shows, or just messing around in my gardens at home. –nothing in studios,
| nothing for the printing industry.
|
| I’ve used computers for even longer, so it’s a natural fit to want to | combine the two hobbies. I used to scan in my photos to work on them in | Photoshop, but digital makes it so much easier…
|
| I use Photoshop to enhance my own work for my own use. I often do color | corrections and use levels for less than perfect lighting–and to make the | photos "pop." I crop for better composition. So what I want is to learn | features of this very complicated program and which is best for what I’m | trying to do.
|
| Dot
|
| "Hunt" wrote in message
| || In article <d89se3$7uu$
| says…
|| >
|| >I’m not exactly a newbie at Photoshop, but I’m still really an amateur. | And
|| >I learn best from books. Can anyone recommend a really good one for CS2?
|| >
|| >Thanks,
|| >Dot
||
|| Dot,
||
|| You might also give some info as to how you plan on using PS, and what you
|| want it to do for you. Many of the books are geared toward one aspect, or || another. This does not mean that there isn’t something to be learned from || most, only that you might get more out of a tome designed for how you want
| PS
|| to perform.
||
|| For instance, if you are a photographer, or work with photographer’s work | in
|| pre-press, or image assembly for CMYK printing, I’d recommend Adobe | Photoshop
|| XX (fill in the version that you have) Studio Techniques, Ben Wilmore, | Adobe
|| Press.
||
|| Hecate’s suggestion of CIAB is probably the first place to start, then | move on
|| from there. Unfortunately, I do not know Craig’s suggested books, but bet | they
|| are excellent, as well.
||
|| Hunt
||
|
|
N
noone
Jun 10, 2005
In article <d8bv95$865$ says…
Good idea, Hunt. BTW, I’ve found this newsgroup invaluable for picking up tips. If I had time to read all the postings, I probably wouldn’t need a book.

I’m a decidedly amateur but serious photographer who has generally gotten better over the last 30 years of "taking pictures." I love both my Nikon N70 and my D100. Most photos are taken at family events, vacations, dog shows, or just messing around in my gardens at home. –nothing in studios, nothing for the printing industry.

I’ve used computers for even longer, so it’s a natural fit to want to combine the two hobbies. I used to scan in my photos to work on them in Photoshop, but digital makes it so much easier…

I use Photoshop to enhance my own work for my own use. I often do color corrections and use levels for less than perfect lighting–and to make the photos "pop." I crop for better composition. So what I want is to learn features of this very complicated program and which is best for what I’m trying to do.

Dot

"Hunt" wrote in message
| In article <d89se3$7uu$
says…
[SNIP]
|
| For instance, if you are a photographer, or work with photographer’s work in
| pre-press, or image assembly for CMYK printing, I’d recommend Adobe Photoshop
| XX (fill in the version that you have) Studio Techniques, Ben Wilmore, Adobe
| Press.
|
| Hecate’s suggestion of CIAB is probably the first place to start, then move on
| from there.
[SNIP]

Thank you. Now I stand by my "Studio Techniques" recommendation. There is another book (sorry, but I don’t have a copy handy to give you the details) that covers "camera RAW" and is directed to RAW and PS – someone out there help me please. It has been highly recommended for that exact purpose.

Do CIAB PSx, then do Studio Techniques, then look into the camera RAW book. Lastly, do you shoot RAW? If not, please consider doing so.

Hunt
N
noone
Jun 10, 2005
In article <d8bvoa$8fa$ says…
Oh, and I should have added that I’ve scanned in the family photo archive that goes back to about 1900. Some of these photos need a lot of help, as you can imagine.
Dot
[SNIP]

In this case, also look at "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching" by Katrin Eismann. I’d put this as a possible #3 in your Summer reading list.

Hunt
DP
Dot Proulx
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks to all for the suggestions and guidance. I will look at each of these and select the ones I think most fit my needs.

There’s a book on Amazon that is titled "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2" by Bruce Fraser. Hunt, is this the one you mentioned?

Thanks again,
Dot

"Hunt" wrote in message
| In article <d8bv95$865$
says…
| >
| >Good idea, Hunt. BTW, I’ve found this newsgroup invaluable for picking up
| >tips. If I had time to read all the postings, I probably wouldn’t need a | >book.
| >
| >I’m a decidedly amateur but serious photographer who has generally gotten | >better over the last 30 years of "taking pictures." I love both my Nikon | >N70 and my D100. Most photos are taken at family events, vacations, dog | >shows, or just messing around in my gardens at home. –nothing in studios,
| >nothing for the printing industry.
| >
| >I’ve used computers for even longer, so it’s a natural fit to want to | >combine the two hobbies. I used to scan in my photos to work on them in | >Photoshop, but digital makes it so much easier…
| >
| >I use Photoshop to enhance my own work for my own use. I often do color | >corrections and use levels for less than perfect lighting–and to make the
| >photos "pop." I crop for better composition. So what I want is to learn | >features of this very complicated program and which is best for what I’m | >trying to do.
| >
| >Dot
| >
| >"Hunt" wrote in message
| > | >| In article <d89se3$7uu$
| >says…
| [SNIP]
| >|
| >| For instance, if you are a photographer, or work with photographer’s work
| >in
| >| pre-press, or image assembly for CMYK printing, I’d recommend Adobe | >Photoshop
| >| XX (fill in the version that you have) Studio Techniques, Ben Wilmore, | >Adobe
| >| Press.
| >|
| >| Hecate’s suggestion of CIAB is probably the first place to start, then | >move on
| >| from there.
| [SNIP]
|
| Thank you. Now I stand by my "Studio Techniques" recommendation. There is | another book (sorry, but I don’t have a copy handy to give you the details)
| that covers "camera RAW" and is directed to RAW and PS – someone out there | help me please. It has been highly recommended for that exact purpose. |
| Do CIAB PSx, then do Studio Techniques, then look into the camera RAW book.
| Lastly, do you shoot RAW? If not, please consider doing so. |
| Hunt
|
CW
C Wright
Jun 10, 2005
On 6/10/05 10:13 AM, in article , "Hunt"
wrote:

[SNIP]
There is
another book (sorry, but I don’t have a copy handy to give you the details) that covers "camera RAW" and is directed to RAW and PS – someone out there help me please. It has been highly recommended for that exact purpose.
Do CIAB PSx, then do Studio Techniques, then look into the camera RAW book. Lastly, do you shoot RAW? If not, please consider doing so.
Hunt
The camera raw book to which I would guess that you are referring is ‘Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS" by Bruce Fraser. While it does not cover the specific version of Camera Raw in CS2 it is still extremely helpful to anyone who shoots raw.
Chuck
N
noone
Jun 11, 2005
In article <d8cho6$i55$ says…
Thanks to all for the suggestions and guidance. I will look at each of these and select the ones I think most fit my needs.

There’s a book on Amazon that is titled "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2" by Bruce Fraser. Hunt, is this the one you mentioned?
Thanks again,
Dot

[SNIP]

Yes, sorry that I could not come up with the title/author, but I was at the pool with the laptop and not in the office 🙂

Hunt
H
Hecate
Jun 11, 2005
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:06:32 -0400, "Dot Proulx" wrote:

Dot
Hi again,

For working on image restoration there is no better book (in fact there is no book as good as) Katrin Eismann’s Photoshop Restoration and Retouching.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
BP
Barry Pearson
Jun 11, 2005
C Wright wrote:
[snip]
The camera raw book to which I would guess that you are referring is ‘Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS" by Bruce Fraser. While it does not cover the specific version of Camera Raw in CS2 it is still extremely helpful to anyone who shoots raw.

There is a new version for CS2. It is about 60% changed I think. (I haven’t got mine yet, but the CS version was VERY useful indeed).

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/
MB
Mick Brown
Jun 12, 2005
"Barry Pearson" wrote in
news::

C Wright wrote:
[snip]

There is a new version for CS2. It is about 60% changed I think. (I haven’t got mine yet, but the CS version was VERY useful indeed).

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/

Anything by scott kelby is good too

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections