BH
Posted By
Bill_Hannon
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have any of you seen or had problems with the fill tool causing Photoshop to crash when used repeatedly. This tends to happen most often when the fill option is set to ‘clear’. It’s intermittent, but happens enough where I end us having to save before doing any fill to clear functions.

Running Windows XP

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SB
Scott_Byer
Jan 19, 2004
I can’t reproduce this in a short test. Any hints? About how many times? On how large an image? Is there any similarity in the regions being cleared before it goes haywire?

-Scott
SB
Scott_Byer
Jan 19, 2004
Oh, and what kind of machine? Hyperthreading?

-Scott
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 20, 2004
newsreader bump
BH
Bill_Hannon
Jan 21, 2004
Scott

This was a Dual 2.0 Xeon system w/ hyperthreading, 2GB of memory and ATI Radeon 8500DV with 64mb vram.

It was intermittent, but when I could duplicate this most frequently when I had multiple layers (10 or more in my sample). I was using the path tool and had a complex path defined on one layer. When I’d go to the background copy (the original layer I was working from) and I’d be trying to clear sections of the background (tolerance ~1-5 on the clear). In this case, it was a figure on a white backfround with several patches where the white came through. (meaning I had to clear 15 or 20 separate white patches). In addition, the tolerance was very close to the limit on the shades of white in the image, meaning some cases I’d have to clear one of these patches 2 or 3 times to get all the shades of white in a patch. End result was 20 – 30 fill to clear in a row. Usually, about halfway through, it would crash with that error.

I’ll see if I can get a file setup where I can duplicate it repeatedly.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections