LC
Posted By
Larry_Coleman_Jr
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to print filenames on the bottom of images during batch processing of proofs for clients. I know it’s possible because Photoshop does if for you when using the "Contact Sheet II" program. Just can’t figure out how to print file names on my own during batch processing.

Please help!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jconley
Jan 16, 2004
Ran into this problem myself, but I found that you can use Contact Sheet II to accomplish most anything for printing, a little more info on your exact problem and maybe I can help you out.
LC
Larry_Coleman_Jr
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks for the reply. All I’m trying to do is have the filename print on the photo/image. So that when I do a batch process for a client for 50 -100 proofs the client can just refer to the number at the bottom of the print (or wherever I decide to place it). It makes it easy for me and convenient for the client.

The proofs are usually 4"x6". I did once try to modify Contact Sheet II to print at 4"x6", but it took up a huge space on the side of the print for the filename. Much more than was needed.

Can’t find help anywhere. I’ve looked in my Photoshop bible under "labels", "caption", etc… Just no luck. You would think that with all the Pros that use this program that it would be a key feature.

When I’m running Contact Sheet II, I can see in the Layer palette that somehow the filename is getting inserted via the type tool, just can’t figure out how.

Any thoughts?
RW
Rene_Walling
Jan 16, 2004
Here is a quick and dirty solution:

Run contact sheet with one thumbnail (ie type "1" for columns and rows) (and ask for the filename of course)

That should do what you want.
L
larry
Jan 16, 2004
I do it all the time, but not using the contact sheet. I batch resize all the images to the same long dimension. If you use the "automate>fit image" you don’t have to separate the verticles. Then I add my copyright as a text layer. If you create the text layer with your copyright information while recording the action, it will appear in the same place on each image during a batch process. But that might not work for each individual image so you can either create a large semi transparent copyright in the center, or stop the action at the point the copyright appears and use the move tool to reposition it (and maybe change the color to one that contrasts to the image) before resuming the operation.

Larry Berman
LC
Larry_Coleman_Jr
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks Rene,

It worked, but just puts a huge amount of air around the image. But still that’s the starting point that I needed. Then I just did an "action" that cut the filename and put it where I wanted it and then resized the image to a more viewable state.

Thanks.
LC
Larry_Coleman_Jr
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks Larry,

But I’m trying to put the original filename on the image, not my copyright.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections