Posted By
Andrew_Pylypchuk
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello PS & Chris Cox,

Currently I am using PS 7.01. My PC is a 3.0ghz P4 w/ 2 gig ram & 70gb sctrach disk.

I work with large images… example my last project was 9 gig TIF with 60000 pixels & 55000 lines. This of course would not open in PS.

I tried to make a scaled version of the above @ 21000×34000 1.97 gb/2,042 mb and open it in PS 7.01 but failed.

But, I was wondering, what the max size that PS 7.01 can handle. Does PS CS 8.0 has the same limitations, what is the max size it can handle?

Thanks,
Andrew

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RW
Rene_Walling
Jan 16, 2004
Maximum size for PS 7: 30 000 pixels by 30 000 pixels

Maximum size for CS: 300 000 pixels by 300 000 pixels

The maximum file size is also increased with CS
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 16, 2004
PS 7 has max of 30,000 pixels on either dimension.
And/or a 2GB total file size.
Main prob with this last stat is that PS will WRITE a >2GB file, but then can’t reopen it.

I’m not using CS yet, but it allows much bigger file.
However, this must be saved and worked with in a special new format. As I understand it, it still won’t open TIFF/PSD/whatever that exceeds the previous limitation I mentioned? That part right, CS folks?

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 16, 2004
Maximum size for PS 7: 30 000 pixels by 30 000 pixels

Actually for practicality, 30,000 x about 24000, otherwise you’re over the 2GB limit and are henceforth screwed 🙂

Mac
AP
Andrew_Pylypchuk
Jan 16, 2004
300kx300k, sweet… guess what I am buying tomorrow 🙂

Thanks for the info Rene.
Andrew
RH
r_harvey
Jan 16, 2004
While Photoshop CS can export a TIFF larger than 2GB, apparently there are few other applications that can import files that large–you may create a file that is too large to use anywhere but Photoshop.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 16, 2004
I thought anything over 2GB had to be saved/reopened in the new proprietary file format? What’s it called?

Mac
RH
r_harvey
Jan 16, 2004
Big Photoshop files have the PSB extension.

Big exported TIFF is still TIF/TIFF… though, again, if >2GB, it may be unusable by other applications.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Jan 16, 2004
Max size for tiff in CS is 4gigs total. PSB format has no size limit other than 300,000 x 300,000.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 16, 2004
Well, PSB has a limit — 2^63 bytes. I doubt anyone will hit that in the next 15 years….
AP
Andrew_Pylypchuk
Jan 16, 2004
Hi Chris,

Any plans on supporting Geographically aware files such as GeoTIFF? or TIFF with associated world file – geographical co-ordinates?

This would open up a whole new market for photoshop 🙂 and make my life/work much easier & heavenly.

Andrew
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 16, 2004
Not unless GeoTIFF completely rewrites their specification.

As it’s written, I’m amazed anybody can support it. There is too much metadata with no indication when it should be preserved, when it should be discarded, or when and how it should be modified.
TD
Tishampati_Dhar
Jul 15, 2004
Good news guys, I am in it to write a Geotiff Import/Export(File Format) plugin for PS CS,basic idea is something like this,to start:extract metadata and keep in *.tfw like geotiff examiner.
then:do your stuff in photoshop….
to save: check image subset/superset with respect to original image(Hope you save the actions somehow or ask them to specify tiepoints),create new Metadata and save as Geotiff.
If this sounds ok let me know … already have a geotiff viewer with coordinates etc. in java and C++,some porting will come up with a plugin.(Ignore the oversimplification above 🙂 Let me know if anyone has tried anything like this!! Or wants to give a hand
If only they would hurry up and send me the advanced SDK docs grrr… Tish.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 16, 2004
Again, the GEOTIFF spec. makes that awfully difficult to do correctly.

There are lots of edits that render the metadata invalid, but no indication of how to update or preserve the metadata…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections