S
Posted By
Scotty
May 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a seasoned pro when it comes to Photoshop, but I have run into a strange problem. I am working on a project that was developed in Photoshop 6.0. I was sent a .psd file, and when I open it in CS I get the message:

"Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector base output. Do you want to update these layers now?"

If I choose to update, all my text layers shift out of place… A LOT! If I do not choose to update, the text layers have the error symbol on them and states:

"Font is present on system but requires a layout change" and the layer is unusable. And if I double click, the same thing happens… usable, but in the shifted out of place. I believe they were created in text boxes, maybe this is a problem.

It’s not like this is some crazy font, its Arial. In fact, I requested the person that created the original .psd file send me his Arial font(s). and then I went even further and deleted the adobent*.lst files so CS would have to rebuild the font set.

Nothing worked… is this just an issue between versions? As anyone had this problem? Is there any work around other then downgrading to PS
6.0?

Thanks for the time,

Scotty

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

W
whizwhizwhizwhizwhiz
May 20, 2005
This happened with Adobe updated their font handling system with I think version 7.0. You will need to update the text layers when it asks and then readjust them to where and what you need them manually. There is no real way around.

"Scotty" wrote in message
I am a seasoned pro when it comes to Photoshop, but I have run into a strange problem. I am working on a project that was developed in Photoshop 6.0. I was sent a .psd file, and when I open it in CS I get the message:

"Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector base output. Do you want to update these layers now?"
If I choose to update, all my text layers shift out of place… A LOT! If I do not choose to update, the text layers have the error symbol on them and states:

"Font is present on system but requires a layout change" and the layer is unusable. And if I double click, the same thing happens… usable, but in the shifted out of place. I believe they were created in text boxes, maybe this is a problem.

It’s not like this is some crazy font, its Arial. In fact, I requested the person that created the original .psd file send me his Arial font(s). and then I went even further and deleted the adobent*.lst files so CS would have to rebuild the font set.
Nothing worked… is this just an issue between versions? As anyone had this problem? Is there any work around other then downgrading to PS
6.0?

Thanks for the time,

Scotty
S
Scotty
May 20, 2005
Man, are you serious??? That’s a real bummer. I cannot just move the font because it is used for a web page and other pages use the same text. The likelihood of me lining up the text to the current pages is slim to none. If I am just a pixel off, you will see the text shift in the navigation as you hit new pages, not acceptable.

Hmmm… I guess I will have to downgrade to a previous version.

Thanks for replying.

Scotty
W
whizwhizwhizwhizwhiz
May 20, 2005
That is probably your best bet. Adobe did a pretty good job improving the text engine, but they could have done more to automate the process of adjusting the older files. Good luck.

"Scotty" wrote in message
Man, are you serious??? That’s a real bummer. I cannot just move the font because it is used for a web page and other pages use the same text. The likelihood of me lining up the text to the current pages is slim to none. If I am just a pixel off, you will see the text shift in the navigation as you hit new pages, not acceptable.

Hmmm… I guess I will have to downgrade to a previous version.
Thanks for replying.

Scotty

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections