J
Posted By
jeffkjo
May 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I design ads for both newspaper, and web, and have often found myself working on one ad that will be used for both. When the ads run in the newspaper, they are in grayscale, so when I’m designing something for just the paper, I put together the ad in grayscale.

However, when I’m working on something that will run online and in print, I design in color, and then drop to grayscale at the end. At this point, I often discover colors that don’t quite work in grayscale, and I end up having to do a lot of extra work to make the ad look good.

Is there any sort of filter, or special tool I can use so that I can switch the image to grayscale (without losing color information) to check and work on things, and then switch back to color.

Constantly going up to Image->Adjustments->Desaturate, and then having to undo the result before I change anything is not really a very efficient way of going about things.

Thanks,
Jeff
http://www.astroreverb.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
Tacit
May 19, 2005
In article ,
wrote:

Is there any sort of filter, or special tool I can use so that I can switch the image to grayscale (without losing color information) to check and work on things, and then switch back to color.

Create a Hue and Saturation Adjustment layer with the Saturation set to

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
TT
Tom Thackrey
May 19, 2005
On 18-May-2005, wrote:

I design ads for both newspaper, and web, and have often found myself working on one ad that will be used for both. When the ads run in the newspaper, they are in grayscale, so when I’m designing something for just the paper, I put together the ad in grayscale.

However, when I’m working on something that will run online and in print, I design in color, and then drop to grayscale at the end. At this point, I often discover colors that don’t quite work in grayscale, and I end up having to do a lot of extra work to make the ad look good.
Constantly going up to Image->Adjustments->Desaturate, and then having to undo the result before I change anything is not really a very efficient way of going about things.

Create an adjustment layer of the chanel mixer with the monochrome box checked. You can click it on and off to swap between color and grayscale. You can also use the chanel mixer to change the way the grayscale is created from the color image which might help your conversion problems.

Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
tom (at) creative (dash) light (dot) com
do NOT send email to (it’s reserved for spammers)
WO
Wizard of Draws
May 19, 2005
On 5/18/05 6:27 PM, in article
"
spewed:

Thanks,
Jeff
http://www.astroreverb.com

Create an alpha channel of the composite image.

Jeff ‘The Wizard of Draws’ Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com
J
JJS
May 19, 2005
wrote in message

You have received the solutions to viewing as grayscale, but as an artist/designer, you might consider why some things do not work in grays (e.g.; color without hue). The answers delve into color theory and practice so may be OT here. One approach is to give objects some directional light – luminosity, hints for the human eye. Flat art is difficult.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections