J
Posted By
joe
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let me drag pictures to a different folder.
When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not even in recycle folder.
What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them either <grin>.

Joe

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
neon
May 4, 2005
joe wrote:
My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let me drag pictures to a different folder.
When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not even in recycle folder.
What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them either <grin>.

Joe
trash your preferences file.
J
joe
May 4, 2005
neon wrote:

}:joe wrote:
}:> My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let }:> me drag pictures to a different folder.
}:> When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not }:> even in recycle folder.
}:> What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I }:> have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them }:> either <grin>.
}:>
}:> Joe
}:trash your preferences file.

How?
In the CS menu or in the folder?
I’m always nervous about ‘tampering with settings.

Regards,
Joe
N
neon
May 4, 2005
joe wrote:
neon wrote:

}:> My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let }:> me drag pictures to a different folder.
}:> When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not }:> even in recycle folder.
}:> What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I }:> have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them }:> either <grin>.
}:trash your preferences file.

How?
In the CS menu or in the folder?
I’m always nervous about ‘tampering with settings.

Regards,
Joe
hold down shift + cntl + alt when starting ps. covered in the manual & help.
J
joe
May 5, 2005
neon wrote:

}:> neon wrote:
}:> }:joe wrote:
}:> }:> My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let }:> }:> me drag pictures to a different folder.
}:> }:> When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not }:> }:> even in recycle folder.
}:> }:> What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I }:> }:> have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them }:> }:> either <grin>.
}:> }:>
}:> }:> Joe
}:> }:trash your preferences file.
}:> How?
}:> In the CS menu or in the folder?
}:> I’m always nervous about ‘tampering with settings. }:>
}:> Regards,
}:hold down shift + cntl + alt when starting ps. covered in the manual & }:help.

Thanks Neon – it worked like a charm.
Can drag files now and reduced the 5 min. startup time to about one minute! Like it says on pages 46-47 of the manual "Unexpected behavior …"
This saved my but.

j
N
neon
May 5, 2005
joe wrote:
neon wrote:

}:> }:> My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let }:> }:> me drag pictures to a different folder.
}:> }:> When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not }:> }:> even in recycle folder.
}:> }:> What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I }:> }:> have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them }:> }:> either <grin>.
}:> }:trash your preferences file.
}:> How?
}:> In the CS menu or in the folder?
}:> I’m always nervous about ‘tampering with settings. }:>
}:> Regards,
}:hold down shift + cntl + alt when starting ps. covered in the manual & }:help.

Thanks Neon – it worked like a charm.
Can drag files now and reduced the 5 min. startup time to about one minute! Like it says on pages 46-47 of the manual "Unexpected behavior …"
This saved my but.

j
it’s amazing how delicate the preferences file is. follow the ps newsgroups and there is rarely a day that noone reports a problem that has been caused by a corrupted pref file. and some of the reported incidents of "unexpected behavior" are really bizarre. people report they have uninstalled & reinstalled ps numerous times, uninstalled and reinstalled their entire operating systems, etc. and, uninstalling and reinstalling ps does not replace a corrupt pref file with a new one with default settings. go figure??
it’s a good idea to make a backup copy of your pref file with your personalized settings. then you can replace a corrupt pref file with the backup and not have to trash the bad one and reset everything when a problem occurs.
glad i could help.
J
joe
May 5, 2005
neon wrote:

}:> }:> neon wrote:
}:> }:> }:joe wrote:
}:> }:> }:> My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let }:> }:> }:> me drag pictures to a different folder. }:> }:> }:> When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not }:> }:> }:> even in recycle folder.
}:> }:> }:> What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I }:> }:> }:> have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them }:> }:> }:> either <grin>.
}:> }:> }:>
}:> }:> }:> Joe
}:> }:> }:trash your preferences file.
}:> }:> How?
}:> }:> In the CS menu or in the folder?
}:> }:> I’m always nervous about ‘tampering with settings. }:> }:>
}:> }:> Regards,
}:> }:hold down shift + cntl + alt when starting ps. covered in the manual & }:> }:help.
}:> Thanks Neon – it worked like a charm.
}:> Can drag files now and reduced the 5 min. startup time to about one }:> minute! Like it says on pages 46-47 of the manual "Unexpected }:> behavior …"
}:> This saved my but.
}:> j
}:it’s amazing how delicate the preferences file is. follow the ps }:newsgroups and there is rarely a day that noone reports a problem that }:has been caused by a corrupted pref file. and some of the reported }:incidents of "unexpected behavior" are really bizarre. people report }:they have uninstalled & reinstalled ps numerous times, uninstalled and }:reinstalled their entire operating systems, etc. and, uninstalling and }:reinstalling ps does not replace a corrupt pref file with a new one with }:default settings. go figure??
}:it’s a good idea to make a backup copy of your pref file with your }:personalized settings. then you can replace a corrupt pref file with }:the backup and not have to trash the bad one and reset everything when a }:problem occurs.
}:glad i could help.

Abobe could have been more helpful by clearly stating what you just said. For the same reason it did not occur to contact them for a casual knee-jerk response.

I went through every pref screen and copied the settings BEFORE the procedure.
Is there a ‘more elegant’ way to back up the preference file(s)? Do we know for sure that all info is contained in a single file etc. J
N
neon
May 6, 2005
joe wrote:
neon wrote:

}:> }:> }:> My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let }:> }:> }:> me drag pictures to a different folder. }:> }:> }:> When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not }:> }:> }:> even in recycle folder.
}:> }:> }:> What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I }:> }:> }:> have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them }:> }:> }:> either <grin>.
}:> }:> }:trash your preferences file.
}:> }:> How?
}:> }:> In the CS menu or in the folder?
}:> }:> I’m always nervous about ‘tampering with settings. }:> }:>
}:> }:> Regards,
}:> }:hold down shift + cntl + alt when starting ps. covered in the manual & }:> }:help.
}:> Thanks Neon – it worked like a charm.
}:> Can drag files now and reduced the 5 min. startup time to about one }:> minute! Like it says on pages 46-47 of the manual "Unexpected }:> behavior …"
}:> This saved my but.
}:> j
}:it’s amazing how delicate the preferences file is. follow the ps }:newsgroups and there is rarely a day that noone reports a problem that }:has been caused by a corrupted pref file. and some of the reported }:incidents of "unexpected behavior" are really bizarre. people report }:they have uninstalled & reinstalled ps numerous times, uninstalled and }:reinstalled their entire operating systems, etc. and, uninstalling and }:reinstalling ps does not replace a corrupt pref file with a new one with }:default settings. go figure??
}:it’s a good idea to make a backup copy of your pref file with your }:personalized settings. then you can replace a corrupt pref file with }:the backup and not have to trash the bad one and reset everything when a }:problem occurs.
}:glad i could help.

Abobe could have been more helpful by clearly stating what you just said. For the same reason it did not occur to contact them for a casual knee-jerk response.

I went through every pref screen and copied the settings BEFORE the procedure.
Is there a ‘more elegant’ way to back up the preference file(s)? Do we know for sure that all info is contained in a single file etc. J
just make a backup copy of the file using windows explorer. the pref filename is "adobe photoshop cs prefs.psp" the folder it’s in depends on what operating system you’re using. you’ll have to do a file search to find the file on your system. make a copy of the file and name it something like adobe photoshop cs prefs bu.psp . any name is ok as long as you can identify it in the future if necessary. if you should need to use the backup just delete the corrupted pref file and then copy the backup file and name it "adobe photoshop cs prefs.psp" be careful with your filenames because photoshop needs specific filenames to identify files. and yes, all info is in the one prefs file. this is all very basic stuff. in the future, when posting questions, always state extensive stats about your computer and operating system.
J
joe
May 7, 2005
neon wrote:

}:> }:> }:> neon wrote:
}:> }:> }:> }:joe wrote:
}:> }:> }:> }:> My PS CS 8.0 seems to work just fine except the browser will NOT let }:> }:> }:> }:> me drag pictures to a different folder. }:> }:> }:> }:> When I attempt to do this then the picture is just lost. It is not }:> }:> }:> }:> even in recycle folder.
}:> }:> }:> }:> What gives? How can I fix that other than doing a reinstall. I }:> }:> }:> }:> have about 30 GB of browser files and would rather not redo them }:> }:> }:> }:> either <grin>.
}:> }:> }:> }:>
}:> }:> }:> }:> Joe
}:> }:> }:> }:trash your preferences file.
}:> }:> }:> How?
}:> }:> }:> In the CS menu or in the folder?
}:> }:> }:> I’m always nervous about ‘tampering with settings. }:> }:> }:>
}:> }:> }:> Regards,
}:> }:> }:hold down shift + cntl + alt when starting ps. covered in the manual & }:> }:> }:help.
}:> }:> Thanks Neon – it worked like a charm.
}:> }:> Can drag files now and reduced the 5 min. startup time to about one }:> }:> minute! Like it says on pages 46-47 of the manual "Unexpected }:> }:> behavior …"
}:> }:> This saved my but.
}:> }:> j
}:> }:it’s amazing how delicate the preferences file is. follow the ps }:> }:newsgroups and there is rarely a day that noone reports a problem that }:> }:has been caused by a corrupted pref file. and some of the reported }:> }:incidents of "unexpected behavior" are really bizarre. people report }:> }:they have uninstalled & reinstalled ps numerous times, uninstalled and }:> }:reinstalled their entire operating systems, etc. and, uninstalling and }:> }:reinstalling ps does not replace a corrupt pref file with a new one with }:> }:default settings. go figure??
}:> }:it’s a good idea to make a backup copy of your pref file with your }:> }:personalized settings. then you can replace a corrupt pref file with }:> }:the backup and not have to trash the bad one and reset everything when a }:> }:problem occurs.
}:> }:glad i could help.
}:> Abobe could have been more helpful by clearly stating what you just }:> said. For the same reason it did not occur to contact them for a }:> casual knee-jerk response.
}:> I went through every pref screen and copied the settings BEFORE the }:> procedure.
}:> Is there a ‘more elegant’ way to back up the preference file(s)? }:> Do we know for sure that all info is contained in a single file etc. }:> J
}:just make a backup copy of the file using windows explorer. the pref }:filename is "adobe photoshop cs prefs.psp" the folder it’s in depends }:on what operating system you’re using. you’ll have to do a file search }:to find the file on your system. make a copy of the file and name it }:something like adobe photoshop cs prefs bu.psp . any name is ok as long }:as you can identify it in the future if necessary. if you should need }:to use the backup just delete the corrupted pref file and then copy the }:backup file and name it "adobe photoshop cs prefs.psp" be careful with }:your filenames because photoshop needs specific filenames to identify files. }:and yes, all info is in the one prefs file. this is all very basic stuff. }:in the future, when posting questions, always state extensive stats }:about your computer and operating system.

Thanks,
If nothing is stated then XPpro is generally assumed for PS CS – I would guess. The readme file also has ‘some’ info about path to folder.
J

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections