FD
Posted By
Frances Del Rio
Apr 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
why is the Thumbnail always grayed out when I save an image? I can’t view img in image viewers such as XnView.. I looked in prefs, just don’t see where this is set.. am on PS CS thank you… Frances

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
noone
Apr 9, 2005
In article , says…
why is the Thumbnail always grayed out when I save an image? I can’t view img in image viewers such as XnView.. I looked in prefs, just don’t see where this is set.. am on PS CS thank you… Frances

Frances,

Edit>Preferences>File Handling. Immediately below the "File Handling" drop- down, is a box, "File Saving Options." The first entry (also with drop-down), "Image Previews:" The options are: "Always Save, Never Save and Ask When Saving." To allow PS to add Image Previews you should seclect "Always… ," or "Ask When… " The file size will be marginally larger, but then you will have a preview thumbnail for other image wiewers.

Hope that this helps,
Hunt
FD
Frances Del Rio
Apr 9, 2005
Hunt wrote:
In article , says…

Frances,

Edit>Preferences>File Handling. Immediately below the "File Handling" drop- down, is a box, "File Saving Options." The first entry (also with drop-down), "Image Previews:" The options are: "Always Save, Never Save and Ask When Saving." To allow PS to add Image Previews you should seclect "Always… ," or "Ask When… " The file size will be marginally larger, but then you will have a preview thumbnail for other image wiewers.

thing is, it’s already set to "always save".. you must have thought this a really stupid question, but I guess I should have mentioned this in OP.. thank you.. Frances
K
KatWoman
Apr 9, 2005
Hunt, I can’t see any thumbnails for psd format in Win XP. I do have that box checked already.
It only shows them in the Adobe built in file browser.
I find this really annoying. I like the built in file browser, it has some nice features but for organizing large amount of files without opening PS, Windows is faster and better. I always save jpgs and tiffs with similar names to my PSD docs so I can usually figure out what they are without the picture but it is nicer to have them the old way it was in 7.01. I am not sure whether this is an XP thing or an Adobe thing. I must say I NEVER used the file browser from Adobe before this version and I somewhat resent having to.

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article , says…

Frances,

Edit>Preferences>File Handling. Immediately below the "File Handling" drop-
down, is a box, "File Saving Options." The first entry (also with drop-down),
"Image Previews:" The options are: "Always Save, Never Save and Ask When Saving." To allow PS to add Image Previews you should seclect "Always… ," or
"Ask When… " The file size will be marginally larger, but then you will have
a preview thumbnail for other image wiewers.

Hope that this helps,
Hunt
R
Roy
Apr 10, 2005
Hi there.

There does seem to be an issue with PSD Thumbnails in XP. I could not get any to show after I installed Service Pack 2. I have got most of them back now, when Folders are set to view as Thumbnails and can get mini Thumbnails when set for Icons.

Problem is, I don’t know exactly how to fix it.

Sometimes they came back after right clicking on Icon, going into properties, and ensuring Thumbnail box was ticked. Sometimes they came back after opening in Ps and "Saving As" with the same name.

I rather suspect it might be "just one of those things", as sometimes in certain folders they do not always appear, and in one folder I still can not get any to show.

Roy G

"KatWoman" wrote in message
Hunt, I can’t see any thumbnails for psd format in Win XP. I do have that box checked already.
I find this really annoying. I like the built in file browser, it has some nice features but for organizing large amount of files without opening PS, Windows is faster and better. I always save jpgs and tiffs with similar names to my PSD docs so I can usually figure out what they are without the picture but it is nicer to have them the old way it was in
7.01. I am not sure whether this is an XP thing or an Adobe thing. I must
say I NEVER used the file browser from Adobe before this version and I somewhat resent having to.

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article , says…

Frances,

"Image Previews:" The options are: "Always Save, Never Save and Ask When Saving." To allow PS to add Image Previews you should seclect "Always… ," or

Hope that this helps,
Hunt

N
noone
Apr 10, 2005
In article <42582fac$ says…
Hunt wrote:
In article , says…

Frances,

Edit>Preferences>File Handling. Immediately below the "File Handling" drop- down, is a box, "File Saving Options." The first entry (also with drop-
down),
"Image Previews:" The options are: "Always Save, Never Save and Ask When Saving." To allow PS to add Image Previews you should seclect "Always… ,"
or
"Ask When… " The file size will be marginally larger, but then you will
have

thing is, it’s already set to "always save".. you must have thought this a really stupid question, but I guess I should have mentioned this in OP.. thank you.. Frances

No, I would never think something like this a stupid question. Sometimes, the location of various Pref settings is a bit obscure. I recall having to do a screen-cap of the Pref’s screen for some poster, who just could not find a check-box. As soon as he saw the JPG, the lightbulb went off. Several people had given him the exact placement, but, by words alone, he could not see it. Never be afraid of having to respond, when a question has the most simple answer. I have "Duh!?" saved in boilerplate for such responses to my questions.

As to your problem, about the only thing that I can think of is that there is a problem with the viewing programs and their ability to see the thumbnails. It seems that there was a thread some months back about a change with XP and PS, that resulted in this sort of thing. Maybe a Google.Groups search will reveal it. It was about the time of the release of SP-2, but, IIRC, did not have anything to do with SP-2. Hecate had offered some comments on it – again, IIRC.

Also, if you have done a Save from another program, or even a system, where this Pref was unchecked, you will have the file without the thumbnail. This is not as difficult to imagine as one would think. I Saved from a laptop with CS and opened Browser on one of my workstations, only to have the "No Thumbnail Available" message. How could this happen on any of MY machines? Well, it seemed that I had trashed Prefs on the laptop, set them back up, as before, but had NOT checked Always Save. I always do that – but forgot in this case, so I had to Open, then Save on the Workstation, to see the buggers. No biggie, but it showed that it DOES happen. As for other programs, I don’t begin to know all of them, or how they react to thumbnails, so I cannot help you there.

Sorry,
Hunt
N
noone
Apr 10, 2005
In article <82X5e.36442$>,
says…
I find this really annoying. I like the built in file browser, it has some nice features but for organizing large amount of files without opening PS, Windows is faster and better. I always save jpgs and tiffs with similar names to my PSD docs so I can usually figure out what they are without the picture but it is nicer to have them the old way it was in 7.01. I am not sure whether this is an XP thing or an Adobe thing. I must say I NEVER used the file browser from Adobe before this version and I somewhat resent having to.

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article , says…

Frances,

Hope that this helps,
Hunt

I use Thumbsplus, and never have a problem (so long as I don’t trash Perfs on my laptop, but that is another story). I don’t use other image browser, though I have a few around. Seems that Hecate addressed this problem some months ago, and I’ve asked her to respond. Maybe there is an answer.

Hunt
N
noone
Apr 10, 2005
In article <4z_5e.2387$
guesthouse.co.uk says…
Hi there.

There does seem to be an issue with PSD Thumbnails in XP. I could not get any to show after I installed Service Pack 2. I have got most of them back now, when Folders are set to view as Thumbnails and can get mini Thumbnails when set for Icons.

Sometimes they came back after right clicking on Icon, going into properties, and ensuring Thumbnail box was ticked. Sometimes they came back after opening in Ps and "Saving As" with the same name.
I rather suspect it might be "just one of those things", as sometimes in certain folders they do not always appear, and in one folder I still can not get any to show.

Roy G
[SNIP]

Roy, right you are. I just opened a folder of PSD’s in XP SP-1 Explorer and checked them. No thumbnails. I opened one in CS, checked Prefs, Saved and looked again. No thumbnails. Now, it will up to those who recall the discussion regarding this to give us the answer again. Since I do not use Explorer, or other programs, I did not bother to save the answers. Every browser that I use shows the thumbs.

Hunt
FD
Frances Del Rio
Apr 10, 2005
Roy wrote:
Hi there.

There does seem to be an issue with PSD Thumbnails in XP.

funny.. I initiated this thread… and I’m on Windows 2000…. 😉

I could not get
any to show after I installed Service Pack 2. I have got most of them back now, when Folders are set to view as Thumbnails and can get mini Thumbnails when set for Icons.

Roy G

"KatWoman" wrote in message

I find this really annoying. I like the built in file browser, it has some nice features but for organizing large amount of files without opening PS, Windows is faster and better. I always save jpgs and tiffs with similar names to my PSD docs so I can usually figure out what they are without the picture but it is nicer to have them the old way it was in
7.01. I am not sure whether this is an XP thing or an Adobe thing. I must
say I NEVER used the file browser from Adobe before this version and I somewhat resent having to.

"Hunt" wrote in message

In article , says…

Frances,

Hope that this helps,
Hunt

R
Roy
Apr 10, 2005
"Frances Del Rio" wrote in message
Roy wrote:
Hi there.

Roy G
You never said which OS you were using until now.

So please just ignore any suggestions I may have made, they will obviously be of no help to you.

Roy G
H
Hecate
Apr 11, 2005
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:45:12 -0400, Frances Del Rio
wrote:

Roy wrote:
Hi there.

That’s because it has nothing to do with the OS.

The problem is that Adobe created a .dll (psicons.dll) that interpreted the image and allowed Windows to show a Thumbnail. However, the implementation was so awful and Adobe had so many complaints (it was a prime source of several different methods of crashing Explorer) that they withdrew the .dll when they released PSCS. Consequently, if you have PS7 on your computer you will, normally, be able to see thumbnails. If you upgrade to CS and leave 7 on your machine you still will. If, however, you remove 7 then you will no longer be able to view thumbnails. Windows has no native ability to view the files and without psicon.dll, the ability disappears.

IMHO, Adobe made the sensible decision. Although there may be people who didn’t have a problem, the more people used that file, the more problems appeared both system wide and in PS itself.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
N
noone
Apr 11, 2005
In article ,
says…
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:45:12 -0400, Frances Del Rio
wrote:

Roy wrote:
Hi there.

That’s because it has nothing to do with the OS.

The problem is that Adobe created a .dll (psicons.dll) that interpreted the image and allowed Windows to show a Thumbnail. However, the implementation was so awful and Adobe had so many complaints (it was a prime source of several different methods of crashing Explorer) that they withdrew the .dll when they released PSCS. Consequently, if you have PS7 on your computer you will, normally, be able to see thumbnails. If you upgrade to CS and leave 7 on your machine you still will. If, however, you remove 7 then you will no longer be able to view thumbnails. Windows has no native ability to view the files and without psicon.dll, the ability disappears.

IMHO, Adobe made the sensible decision. Although there may be people who didn’t have a problem, the more people used that file, the more problems appeared both system wide and in PS itself.

Hecate – The Real One

Thank you. I knew that you knew the answer. Also, this explains why my W2K workstation shows all the thumbnails, while my XP doesn’t. In my case, Thumbsplus sees them fine on three different OS’s, so I had not even noticed, until this thread. That explains why I didn’t follow the old thread closely enough to have the answer.

Hunt
H
Hecate
Apr 11, 2005
On 11 Apr 2005 00:40:26 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

Thank you. I knew that you knew the answer. Also, this explains why my W2K workstation shows all the thumbnails, while my XP doesn’t. In my case, Thumbsplus sees them fine on three different OS’s, so I had not even noticed, until this thread. That explains why I didn’t follow the old thread closely enough to have the answer.
No problem. Of course, TP has it’s own interpreter which is why that works. And why sensible people use a proper image database program 😉

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections