D
Posted By
dterrors
Mar 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a layer with a grayscale image on it. I want to convert that image into a selection (as in Save Selection), so that the dark pixels are transparent selections and the lights are opaque, and the grays inbetween are translucent etc etc. How.

I’m starting with a grayscale image, not starting with a selection, so Save Selection doesn’t help. If select the grayscale image and Save Selection on it, I just get a square selection.

I tried making a layer mask and pasting the grayscale image into the layer mask, but when I paste, it just makes a whole new layer for what I’m pasting, rather than pasting into the mask.

Whatever you suggest, try it before you suggest it because it’s not as easy as it sounds. For example if you’re ready to tell me to try "Paste Into", go try it first, see what I mean.

TIA

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Bill Hilton
Mar 15, 2005
I have a layer with a grayscale image on it. I want to convert that image into a selection (as in Save Selection), so that the dark pixels

are transparent selections and the lights are opaque, and the grays inbetween are translucent etc etc. How.

Whatever you suggest, try it before you suggest it because it’s not as

easy as it sounds.

I would open Channels, duplicate the grayscale channel and invert it (since you said you want "dark pixels (to be) transparent selections"), then you can do Select > Load Selection and load it. Not certain this would work for what you need (is the entire file grayscale or just this one layer?) but you can dupe channels and make edits on the dupe using most tools and then load this dupe channel as a selection easily enough. Hope this helps.

Bill
B
bogus
Mar 16, 2005
You can make a selection of a layer by holding down the command key (Mac) or control key (Pc) and clicking on the icon in the layer panel.

To make a mask of a selection:

With nothing selected, make a mask for a layer (it will be white in layer panel.

Make you selection.

Hold down the Option key (Mac) or Alt key (PC) and click on the mask icon in the layer panel.

This will change image area to blank white. Paste selection.

Click on layer icon to get back to image editing mode.

wrote:

I have a layer with a grayscale image on it. I want to convert that image into a selection (as in Save Selection), so that the dark pixels are transparent selections and the lights are opaque, and the grays inbetween are translucent etc etc. How.

I’m starting with a grayscale image, not starting with a selection, so Save Selection doesn’t help. If select the grayscale image and Save Selection on it, I just get a square selection.

I tried making a layer mask and pasting the grayscale image into the layer mask, but when I paste, it just makes a whole new layer for what I’m pasting, rather than pasting into the mask.

Whatever you suggest, try it before you suggest it because it’s not as easy as it sounds. For example if you’re ready to tell me to try "Paste Into", go try it first, see what I mean.
TIA
T
Tacit
Mar 16, 2005
In , dterrors@
hotmail.com wrote:
I have a layer with a grayscale image on it. I want to convert that image into a selection (as in Save Selection),…

I think you mean as in "Load Selection." Save Selection takes a selection you already have, and turns it into a grayscale channel. Load Selection takes a grayscale channel, and turns it into a selection.

You need to use Load Selection.

How did you create this grayscale layer? If you have something that you would like to turn into a selection, start by making it into a *channel* rather than a *layer*.

Art, shareware, photography, polyamory, kink:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
D
dterrors
Mar 17, 2005
bogus wrote:
You can make a selection of a layer by holding down the command key (Mac) or control key (Pc) and clicking on the icon in the layer
panel.

No. This just selects the entire outline of the grayscale image. What I get is just a rectangular selection. That’s not what I want, read the original post.

To make a mask of a selection:

With nothing selected, make a mask for a layer (it will be white in layer panel.

Make you selection.

Hold down the Option key (Mac) or Alt key (PC) and click on the mask icon in the layer panel.

This will change image area to blank white. Paste selection.

When I paste the selection it creates a new layer rathe than pasting into the mask. see original post.

Click on layer icon to get back to image editing mode.

wrote:

I have a layer with a grayscale image on it. I want to convert
that
image into a selection (as in Save Selection), so that the dark
pixels
are transparent selections and the lights are opaque, and the grays inbetween are translucent etc etc. How.

I’m starting with a grayscale image, not starting with a selection,
so
Save Selection doesn’t help. If select the grayscale image and
Save
Selection on it, I just get a square selection.

I tried making a layer mask and pasting the grayscale image into
the
layer mask, but when I paste, it just makes a whole new layer for
what
I’m pasting, rather than pasting into the mask.

Whatever you suggest, try it before you suggest it because it’s not
as
easy as it sounds. For example if you’re ready to tell me to try "Paste Into", go try it first, see what I mean.
TIA
D
dterrors
Mar 17, 2005
I think you mean as in "Load Selection." Save Selection takes a selection you already have, and turns it into a grayscale channel.
Load
Selection takes a grayscale channel, and turns it into a selection.

Load Selection, Save Selection- whatever. The point is, I want the to convert the grayscale image to a selection. I want to save it as a selection and then load it as a selection later.

You need to use Load Selection.

I need to use load selection how? What exactly am I loading? There’s no option to load a layer in the Load Selection dialog.

How did you create this grayscale layer? If you have something that
you
would like to turn into a selection, start by making it into a
*channel*
rather than a *layer*.

Yea well, too late. The image came in from a jpg. I didn’t create the original, a different firm did.
BH
Bill Hilton
Mar 18, 2005
Load Selection, Save Selection- whatever. The point is, I want the to convert the grayscale image to a selection. I want to save it as a selection and then load it as a selection later.

Two people already told you how to do this … open up Channels, duplicate the grayscale channel as a new channel, do whatever you want done with the dupe (increase contrast and running Gaussian blur are the two usual actions if you want to use it as a mask). The you can load the alpha channel as a selection …
AM
Andrew Morton
Mar 18, 2005
I think this is what you’re after:

Make a layer mask in the appropriate layer.
Copy the layer with the greyscale (ctrl+A, ctrl+C).
Go to the channels palette, switch off the visibility (eye icon) of the RGB channels, switch on the visibility of Layer n Mask and select it as the active channel.
Paste (ctrl+V).
Switch RGB channels’ visibility back on.
Go back to the Layers palette and you should find your greyscale image as the layer mask.

Andrew
T
Tacit
Mar 18, 2005
In , mrbog wrote:
No. This just selects the entire outline of the grayscale image. What I get is just a rectangular selection. That’s not what I want, read the original post.

If you can’t get it to work any other way:

Copy the grayscale layer to the clipboard. Create a new channel. Paste it into the channel. Use Load Selection to load a selection from that channel.

You’re working in layers–that’s your problem. With selections, you work in channels.

It sounds like you have a grayscale file on your disk, and you want to open that file and use it as a selection, so you opened the file and made it into a layer in your desitnation image. Open the file and make it into a channel instead.

Art, shareware, photography, polyamory, kink:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
D
dterrors
Mar 18, 2005
Andrew Morton wrote:
I think this is what you’re after:

Make a layer mask in the appropriate layer.
Copy the layer with the greyscale (ctrl+A, ctrl+C).
Go to the channels palette, switch off the visibility (eye icon) of
the RGB
channels, switch on the visibility of Layer n Mask and select it as
the
active channel.
Paste (ctrl+V).
Switch RGB channels’ visibility back on.
Go back to the Layers palette and you should find your greyscale
image as
the layer mask.

Andrew

Thanks this did it. Actually for the sake of others, I added some steps at the end to really get a selection.

Right click on the mask in the layers palette and choose Disable Layer Mask.
Then Right click on the mask again and choose Set Selection to Layer Mask.
Then click on the layer’s thumbnail.
Now the mask is actually a selection of the layer. And you can do Save Selection or whatever you want.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections