Isolating the prominent object and removing the background?

M
Posted By
Marina
Feb 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a feature in Photoshop to isolate just the object in front/center/of interest, so that the background and surrounding are gone. Is this called chroma keying? Does anyone know about this and is it possible in PhotoShop7?
Many Thanks,
Marina

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
Larry
Feb 12, 2004
It depends on how subtle the differences are between the background and the object. If the differences are blatent, it is quite easy. The magic wand tool will select a group of pixils based on similar shades. You can hold the shift key down as you are selecting areas within the object and the selections will group together. Once your entire object is selected, you can cut it out or invert the selection and replace the background with a new color. Similarly, you could use the magic wand tool to select the background vs. the object and then invert the selection to get the object. Such object selection is much easier when a constant color is used it the background. This is why Hollywood uses blue screens for filming scenes that have CG animation effects. The background acts as the only layer in which animation can be drawn. This is how layer masks are used.

Hope that helps.

"Marina" wrote in message
Is there a feature in Photoshop to isolate just the object in front/center/of interest, so that the background and surrounding are gone. Is this called chroma keying? Does anyone know about this and is it possible in PhotoShop7?
Many Thanks,
Marina

M
Marina
Feb 12, 2004
Many Thanks for your reply. I will give it my best effort to do as you described. The problem is that backgrounds are landscapes and not a consistent color, but I will see if I can make this technique work.

Marina

"none" wrote in message
It depends on how subtle the differences are between the background and
the
object. If the differences are blatent, it is quite easy. The magic wand tool will select a group of pixils based on similar shades. You can hold the shift key down as you are selecting areas within the object and the selections will group together. Once your entire object is selected, you can cut it out or invert the selection and replace the background with a
new
color. Similarly, you could use the magic wand tool to select the background vs. the object and then invert the selection to get the object. Such object selection is much easier when a constant color is used it the background. This is why Hollywood uses blue screens for filming scenes
that
have CG animation effects. The background acts as the only layer in which animation can be drawn. This is how layer masks are used.
Hope that helps.

Many Thanks,
Marina

M
Marina
Feb 12, 2004
The problem now is sifting through all the PS7 menus to determine which feature will best apply to accomplish this effect.

Many Thanks for your reply. I will give it my best effort to do as you described. The problem is that backgrounds are landscapes and not a consistent color, but I will see if I can make this technique work.
Marina

"none" wrote in message
It depends on how subtle the differences are between the background and
the
object. If the differences are blatent, it is quite easy. The magic
wand
tool will select a group of pixils based on similar shades. You can
hold
the shift key down as you are selecting areas within the object and the selections will group together. Once your entire object is selected,
you
can cut it out or invert the selection and replace the background with a
new
color. Similarly, you could use the magic wand tool to select the background vs. the object and then invert the selection to get the
object.
Such object selection is much easier when a constant color is used it
the
background. This is why Hollywood uses blue screens for filming scenes
that
have CG animation effects. The background acts as the only layer in
which
animation can be drawn. This is how layer masks are used.
Hope that helps.

Many Thanks,
Marina

PN
Peter Nixon
Feb 13, 2004
You might try the "Extract" command in the Filter toolbar.

HTH

Peter

The problem now is sifting through all the PS7 menus to determine which feature will best apply to accomplish this effect.

Marina

"none" wrote in message
It depends on how subtle the differences are between the background
and
the
object. If the differences are blatent, it is quite easy. The magic
wand
tool will select a group of pixils based on similar shades. You can
hold
the shift key down as you are selecting areas within the object and
the
selections will group together. Once your entire object is selected,
you
can cut it out or invert the selection and replace the background with
a
new
color. Similarly, you could use the magic wand tool to select the background vs. the object and then invert the selection to get the
object.
Such object selection is much easier when a constant color is used it
the
background. This is why Hollywood uses blue screens for filming
scenes
that
have CG animation effects. The background acts as the only layer in
which
animation can be drawn. This is how layer masks are used.
Hope that helps.

Is there a feature in Photoshop to isolate just the object in front/center/of interest, so that the background and surrounding are

gone. Is this called chroma keying? Does anyone know about this and is it possible in PhotoShop7?
Many Thanks,
Marina

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections