Posted By
Ralph
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello
How can one open and save clip art? MS Office and other programs have tons of clip art in the *.wmf format (windows meta file I think it stands for)and viewing / manipulating in Photoshop is a bit of a pain. I can import into a MS doc then copy into Photoshop. Convoluted but it works.
But.. then how can I save it as a meta file? If this can not be done in Photoshop is there any other (Adobe)programs that do? Illustrator Pagemaker??
Thanks
Ralph

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BLUDVLZ
Jan 12, 2004
In Photoshop, no.

You can open, edit and export to a WMF from Illustrator, though.
SG
shecky_greene
Jan 12, 2004
You can open, edit and export to a WMF from Illustrator, though.

Not in V.9, or earlier, correct?

I cannot open a .wmf file in Illustrator 9, but I can Export as a .wmf which will function properly as MS Word Clipart.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 12, 2004
If you have Illustrator, a great way is to open the .wmf there, save as ..ai. Then open the .ai in Photoshop, where you will be prompted for the resolution at which you would like to rasterize it.

Mac
SG
shecky_greene
Jan 12, 2004
Sure you installed all the import filter options when you installed?

Ummm…not recall getting any options to install import filters.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 12, 2004
I used to use Ill 7, pretty sure I could open (or import, don’t remember), wmf files there?

Sure you installed all the import filter options when you installed?

Mac
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 12, 2004
Keep in mind tha WMF’s don’t use bezier curves so if you’re looking to scale them, they can get a bit choppy.

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 12, 2004
Well, maybe someone else will chime in. I never had occassion to use Illustrator much, have ver 10 on this box, which of course does .wmf just fine. I guess if ya really wanted to pin it down, could ask on the Ill forum.

Did you try "place"? Maybe older version used that method?

Mac
SG
shecky_greene
Jan 12, 2004
Did you try "place"? Maybe older version used that method?

Yes. I’ve ried that.
Doesn’t really matter. I have no need to open .WMF files in Illustrator, but I do make the occassional piece of clipart in Illustrator 9 that’s why I know I can export to .WMF okay.
SG
shecky_greene
Jan 12, 2004
Keep in mind tha WMF’s don’t use bezier curves so if you’re looking to
scale them, they can get a bit choppy.

But you could transform the points to curves, couldn’t you?
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 12, 2004
But you could transform the points to curves, couldn’t you?

Not necessarily. I’ve seen circles made up of hundreds of straight lines.

Bob
R
Ralph
Jan 13, 2004
Thanks all
Never thought to try the "export" in Illustrator. Appreciate all the replies.
W
wes
Jan 13, 2004
I have a WMF plugin in PhotoshopCS that allows that type of file to be opened and saved.

wrote in message
Hello
How can one open and save clip art? MS Office and other programs have tons
of clip art in the *.wmf format (windows meta file I think it stands for)and viewing / manipulating in Photoshop is a bit of a pain. I can import into a MS doc then copy into Photoshop. Convoluted but it works.
But.. then how can I save it as a meta file? If this can not be done in
Photoshop is there any other (Adobe)programs that do? Illustrator Pagemaker??
Thanks
Ralph
L
LenHewitt
Jan 13, 2004
Shecky,

Not in V.9, or earlier, correct?<<

Even Ill 4.0 could open WMF’s…..
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 13, 2004
Saving as .ai is still much more versitile when bringing into PhotoShop, though.

Mac
JM
John_Mensinger
Jan 13, 2004
The real issue, at least to the OP, I suspect, is saving as, or exporting to .WMF. Though like EPS, WMF can contain vector and/or raster data, the clipart mentioned is vector art, so opening/editing/saving/exporting > WMF must be done in a vector-based environment like Illustrator or CorelDRAW, (with CorelDRAW, almost anything can be exported to WMF).

It has been correctly stated that WMF does not support curved line segemnts. Yes, in AI or CDR, you can convert points and make curves, but subsequently exporting to WMF replaces the curve with multiple straight segments, (hundreds, if necessary).
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 13, 2004
The real issue, at least to the OP, I suspect, is saving as, or exporting to .WMF.

Good point, and that *was* part of the OP’s first post.
Dunno why I turned it into "opening in Photoshop" spin.

Mac
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 13, 2004
Most of us are not fond of wmfs because of the multiple straight line segments. Zoom up on a circle saved as a wmf and you will see the problem. The clean-up would take longer than tracing out the image in Illustrator.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections