AW
Posted By
Allen_W
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is really weird, and I’m experiencing these on-screen color inconsistency issues since I’ve upgraded to Photoshop CS from 7.

I’ve tried North America, US Prepress, and Web color settings for CS. But it seems that I have to have color management off, so I can have RGB use my monitor color settings by default. If don’t use my monitor color settings for RGB, I will get inconsistent colors for my files in ImageReady CS (because ImageReady uses my monitor color settings).

The default color settings for Photoshop CS install seems to be North America General Purpose Defaults (which has RGB set to sRGB). And now I have to set color management off so it defaults to my monitor color setting instead, so my files’ colors can be consistent in both Photoshop CS and ImageReady CS. I never had to modify the default color settings in previous versions of Photoshop, and never encountered such on-screen color inconsistency problems. Did Adobe botch up the color management features in Photoshop CS?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JY
Jesse_Young
Jan 12, 2004
I had some similar issues when I installed CS. I finally found that the built in RAW converter for PS was somehow set to a different color space than the PS default. So my images were be converted each time I opened them up. I was getting colors that were WAY off. Now the colors are fine.

If you’re using the RAW converter it’s something to check out.

-Jesse
AW
Allen_W
Jan 12, 2004
I’m not using the RAW converter. Just plain Photoshop CS.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 12, 2004
Allen,

If you are seeing LARGE differences between Photoshop set to sRGB working space and IR then it suggests you have a BAD monitor ICC.

Suggest you re-run Adobe Gamma from c/panel, select sRGB as your starting point, change the text in the description box to something meaningful (my monitor?), follow the on-screen instructions and finally SAVE TO A NEW FILENAME! This is important or you will over-write your sRGB profile.
AW
Allen_W
Jan 12, 2004
I’ve never ran Adobe Gamma on this computer. And I used it that way from PS 6-7-CS. This color problem surfaced once I got CS, so I don’t think it’s a monitor ICC problem.

And I don’t want ANY color differences between PS and IR. So I might be better off not using sRGB, and stick to my monitor profile via color management off.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 13, 2004
Allen,

so I don’t think it’s a monitor ICC problem.<<

I’m certain it IS! – but if you don’t want to accept advice, no-one can make you, although I don’t know why you bother asking for advice if you are not then prepared to try it.
AW
Allen_W
Jan 13, 2004
So do I just have to run Adobe Gamma and I’ll be set for my monitor ICC?
L
LenHewitt
Jan 13, 2004
Run Adobe Gamma from the C/Panel and create a new monitor profile and that profile will be used by Photoshop, Yes.
AW
Allen_W
Jan 13, 2004
Will PS then use that profile automatically once it’s created? Or do I have to tell PS to use it?
L
LenHewitt
Jan 13, 2004
Will PS then use that profile automatically once it’s created? <<

Yes. Provided you have not moved Adobe Gamma Loader from your startup folder
AW
Allen_W
Jan 13, 2004
Should I set PS to North America General Purpose Defaults? If so, should I set it before or after doing Adobe Gamma?
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jan 13, 2004
Allen

before or after doesn’t matter.
AW
Allen_W
Jan 13, 2004
So is the Adobe Gamma ICC file going to be named sRGB? Is it going to replace the sRGB file or is it it’s own file?
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 13, 2004
Very important: don’t use the generic name that comes up to save the monitor profile. Give it a name like Monitor1-13-04.icc
AW
Allen_W
Jan 13, 2004
What if I go through all the steps of Adobe Gamma wizard without needing to change anything? Does that mean my monitor colors are fine? Or do I still need to make an ICC with Adobe Gamma?
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 13, 2004
Still save your monitor settings.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jan 13, 2004
Allen,

Read the following:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8-colour/ps8_1.htm>

Page 2 and 3 should help explain the calibration process. Page 4 the colour settings dialog

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections