Chris Cox: Why does PS-CS need Win 2000/XP?

D
Posted By
david
Nov 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Chris,

I notice the new Win Photoshop CS specifies either 2000, or XP. No more 98/Me. Is there a specific reason for this? Does Photoshop now use some API not supported in Win 9x?

David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DF
Derek Fountain
Nov 9, 2003
I notice the new Win Photoshop CS specifies either 2000, or XP. No more 98/Me. Is there a specific reason for this? Does Photoshop now use some API not supported in Win 9x?

Those operating systems are ancient (by computing standards), and supporting them hobbles the Adobe product line. Microsoft themselves no longer support Win98 and support for ME finishes next month. Adobe had to call time at some point, so I wouldn’t assume there was a specific reason.
R
Rick
Nov 9, 2003
"David C. Barber" wrote in message
Chris,

Yeah. A stable one.

Rick
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Nov 9, 2003
David C. Barber wrote:
Chris,

Photoshop sucks resources (I’m talking about system/GDI handles) like a vacuum cleaner. Windows 98/95 has a limited amount of these resources available. This limit was upped in Windows ME – but I can’t run Photoshop and a couple of other applications at the same time. There is no limit to these resources in Windows 2000/XP (Only available memory).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
CC
Chris Cox
Nov 10, 2003
Photoshop needs several APIs that were added (or fixed) in Win2K. We tried to support older OSes, but the huge number of required (or fixed) APIs forced us to abandon the older OSes (especially since Microsoft has already abandoned them and will not be fixing bugs in them).

Chris

In article , David C. Barber
wrote:

Chris,

David
FC
Fred Coote
Nov 10, 2003
Chris,
Additionally, will Win Photoshop CS work in/on NT4 Service Pack 6a? Many thanks in advance.

Fred
"Chris Cox" wrote in message
Photoshop needs several APIs that were added (or fixed) in Win2K. We tried to support older OSes, but the huge number of required (or fixed) APIs forced us to abandon the older OSes (especially since Microsoft has already abandoned them and will not be fixing bugs in them).

Chris

In article , David C. Barber
wrote:

Chris,

David
B
bhilton665
Nov 10, 2003

Additionally, will Win Photoshop CS work in/on NT4 Service Pack 6a?

According to Adobe, CS for Windows won’t work on NT regardless of the SP, just Win 2000 w/ SP3 or XP.
TA
Timo Autiokari
Nov 10, 2003
"David C. Barber" wrote:

CS needs the MS Activation support and that is only available in the 2000 and XP (and in the 2003 server). The corporate version of CS does not require the Activation, it can be made to run on 98se but the installer refuses to run so there is plenty of registly patching and file hunting.

Timo Autiokari
CC
Chris Cox
Nov 17, 2003
In article , Timo Autiokari
wrote:

"David C. Barber" wrote:

CS needs the MS Activation support and that is only available in the 2000 and XP (and in the 2003 server). The corporate version of CS does not require the Activation, it can be made to run on 98se but the installer refuses to run so there is plenty of registly patching and file hunting.

1) Photoshop CS doesn’t use MS Activation

2) Photoshop CS will not run on any flavor of Win9X, even with registry hacks. (many OS APIs would be missing)

3) Please don’t respond unless you have some idea of what you’re talking about

Chris
CC
Chris Cox
Nov 17, 2003
In article <boo6cg$in3$>, Fred Coote
wrote:

Chris,
Additionally, will Win Photoshop CS work in/on NT4 Service Pack 6a? Many thanks in advance.

No, it says it requires Win2K or XP, and that means it requires Win2K or XP.

Chris
FC
Fred Coote
Nov 17, 2003
Thank you…however, this seems like a smartass response from you.

"No, it says it requires Win2K or XP" would have answered the question…why add "and that means it
requires Win2K or XP."?

Fred

wrote:

Chris,

Chris
A
anon
Nov 17, 2003
"Fred C." wrote in news:bpako7$brd$:

"No, it says it requires Win2K or XP" would have answered the question…why add "and that means it requires Win2K or XP."?

One of Adobe’s internal programmers takes the time to monitor these boards and answer all kinds of technical questions, and you’re complaining because he isn’t wearing soft enough kid gloves?

C’mon, take your answer like a man.
FC
Fred Coote
Nov 17, 2003
The company has 40 + copies of PS7.01 running on Win NT4 …so it is a big deal. I don’t need your crap either!

"anon" wrote in message

"No, it says it requires Win2K or XP" would have answered the question…why add "and that means it requires Win2K or XP."?

One of Adobe’s internal programmers takes the time to monitor these boards and answer all kinds of technical questions, and you’re complaining because he isn’t wearing soft enough kid gloves?

S
Stuart
Nov 17, 2003
I newsgroup is not the place for a company to be making decisions about their IT strategy is it?

Stuart

Fred C. wrote:

The company has 40 + copies of PS7.01 running on Win NT4 …so it is a big deal. I don’t need your crap either!

"anon" wrote in message

R
Roberto
Nov 17, 2003
Probably Fred because it was a semi-smartass question. Don’t you think that if it did work on NT with service packs that they would have said so?

R

"Fred C." wrote in message
"No, it says it requires Win2K or XP" would have answered the
question…why add "and that means it
requires Win2K or XP."?

Fred

wrote:

Chris,
Additionally, will Win Photoshop CS work in/on NT4 Service Pack 6a?
Many
thanks in advance.

Chris

R
Roberto
Nov 17, 2003
I disagree. While I wouldn’t use it as my sole source of information. It never hurts to get as much information as possible. Then you have to carefully weigh it all and make your choice.

R

"Stuart" wrote in message
I newsgroup is not the place for a company to be making decisions about their IT strategy is it?

Stuart

Fred C. wrote:

The company has 40 + copies of PS7.01 running on Win NT4 …so it is a
big deal. I don’t need your
crap either!

"anon" wrote in message

One of Adobe’s internal programmers takes the time to monitor these
boards
and answer all kinds of technical questions, and you’re complaining
because
he isn’t wearing soft enough kid gloves?

U
Uni
Nov 18, 2003
Fred C. wrote:
"No, it says it requires Win2K or XP" would have answered the question…why add "and that means it
requires Win2K or XP."?

Because, the caliber of Photoshop users should be able to read and comprehend.

Regards,
Uni

Fred

wrote:

Chris,

Chris

R
Rick
Nov 18, 2003
"Uni" wrote in message
Fred C. wrote:
requires Win2K or XP."?

It was a fair question. Older versions of PS claim it "requires" a Pentium III, which isn’t true.

Rick
S
Stuart
Nov 18, 2003
Minimum hardware recommendations are usually for just being able to install and load the program, not actually using it properly. At least that is what microsoft does.

Stuart

Rick wrote:

"Uni" wrote in message
Fred C. wrote:

requires Win2K or XP."?

It was a fair question. Older versions of PS claim it "requires" a Pentium III, which isn’t true.

Rick

H
henrik2000
Nov 18, 2003
There is no limit to
these resources in Windows 2000/XP (Only available memory).
—-
It is not like this: No single application under a 32 bit Win XP can have more than 2 GB of RAM. I had 4 GB installed – just for Photoshop -, but my Photoshop always tells me it doesn’t see more than about 1.7 GB. I asked why, then i learnt about this Win XP limitation. You can extend the available RAM per application by some tricks which sound very problem prone.
U
Uni
Nov 19, 2003
Rick wrote:
"Uni" wrote in message
Fred C. wrote:

requires Win2K or XP."?

We are not talking about "older" versions, we are talking about Photoshop CS. See The Subject line.

Regards,
Uni

Rick

NB
Norman Black
Nov 19, 2003
"Henrik2000" wrote in message
There is no limit to
—-
It is not like this: No single application under a 32 bit Win XP can have more than 2 GB of RAM. I had 4 GB installed – just for Photoshop -, but my Photoshop always tells me it doesn’t see more than about 1.7 GB. I asked why, then i learnt about this Win XP limitation. You can extend the available RAM per application by some tricks which sound very problem prone.

You misunderstood the statement made. Which was as follows.

Photoshop sucks resources (I’m talking about system/GDI handles) like
a
vacuum cleaner. Windows 98/95 has a limited amount of these resources available. This limit was upped in Windows ME – but I can’t run
Photoshop
and a couple of other applications at the same time. There is no limit
to

Win9x had a system wide limit on GDI/USER handles and such. The system could "run out of memory" even with tons of free memory available if the storage areas for the special handles is all used up. Any NT based system has no limit on these handles except for "available memory".

Norman
CC
Chris Cox
Nov 24, 2003
Because sometimes I get tired of answering the same question over and over.

Sorry about that.

Chris

In article <bpako7$brd$>, Fred C.
wrote:

requires Win2K or XP."?

Fred

wrote:

Chris,

Chris

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections