JS
Posted By
J_S_King
Jan 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When trying to print fonts, I only have up to 72 point available. I have a job requiring maybe 400 point.
Is it possible to get or make much larger fonts please.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
larry
Jan 8, 2004
Just enter the font size in the font size box. Highlight the 72 (or any size listed) and change it to 400.

Larry Berman
JS
J_S_King
Jan 8, 2004
Thanks Larry, seem so easy when you know.
DT
David_Treibs
Jan 24, 2004
Unfortunately, there seems to be a font maximum size limit in Illustrator 8.0, and it also seems to carry over in the tryout version 10.

I can’t seem to make fonts any larger than 18 inches, or 1296 points, or 1828.8 Q.

I’m trying to make in image that is 12’x20′. The vector images resize just fine, but the font is stuck on 18". I’m using Arial Bold, but none of the fonts including Adobe Garamond Pro seem to be able to go beyond that size barrier.

InDesign 2.0 has a width limit of 18′, but I don’t know if that would work anyway, because I need to print this to a 24" wide plotter, but am not sure how the 24" width would jive with the 12’x18′ size image.

Any comments would be appreciated.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 24, 2004
In Illustrator you could make the fonts into outlines, and then scale them up accordingly. I wonder if there is a way to do the same with Photoshop. What about making the type into a selection, then scaling?
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jan 24, 2004
You can turn text into paths in Photoshop: Layer > Type > Create Work Path.
DT
David_Treibs
Jan 25, 2004
Don and John, Thanks for the input.
I delineated the size of the text while in it’s unenlarged state by surrounding it with unlocked guides. Then I expanded the image to its full size. The text sat in the lower left corner of the guides. Then I was able to select the text and use Object Expand to bring the text to full size.

Now we just need to convince the people at Adobe to make the maximum possible size of image area bigger. One of these days I might make a 20’x30′ image, or at the very least, a 15’x25′ one.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 25, 2004
Are you using PS CS? The maximum pixel dimensions were greatly enlarged. You can’t quite paint a picture of the world life sized at 300 dpi … but it is close.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections