TB
Posted By
Treza_Blu
Jan 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 5 images that I am layering and blending on top of one another with parts of the images that are not overlapping. What I am attempting to do is have the outer edge of the image that is not overlapping be a less transparent than the part of the image that is overlapping the other image. How might I do this – I just can’t figure it out. If I could figure how to post what I am trrying to do that would help explain what I am trying to do.
many thanks
t

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 5, 2004
I´m not sure exactly what you want to achieve, but from the sound of it, Layer Masks might be your answer. Read up on this in the manual.
TB
Treza_Blu
Jan 5, 2004
I am using layer mask, but I’m trying to get a gradient effect (sort of) where the image is 100% transparent on one end and maybe 50% transparent on the other end.
thanks
t
B
BLUDVLZ
Jan 5, 2004
Treza,

Yeah, you want to be using a layer mask. To accomplish what you’re after, it’s really pretty simple. Set your foreground color to black, and your background color to 50% black.

Activate your layer mask and select the gradient tool. Start at the point you want your image to be 100% transparent and drag the gradient to where you only want it to be 50% transparent.

That’s all you need to do.
TH
Tina_Hayes
Jan 5, 2004
Also try using the eraser tool. Use a brush with a good feather at a larger size, and click the airbrush icon for smoothness.

I find this works just as well as the Mask Pro plugin.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 5, 2004
In that case, you missed this when you read the FAQ:

Mathias Vejerslev "How to make a gradual opacity fade on a layer" 4/30/03 3:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
CW
Colin_Walls
Jan 5, 2004
Maybe you could apply Gaussian blur to the mask – this softens the edges [essentially the same a feathering a selection].
TB
Treza_Blu
Jan 6, 2004
Thank you everyone – much appreciated – I have tried suggestions and everything works whew weeee – I have 10 covers to complete using this technique.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections