DK
Posted By
Dennis_Kay
Jan 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I,m having a problem saving a file in tiff. When I save the file as a tiff and later locate it on the hard drive i can’t open it. When I look at the file properties it is in file format not tiff.
Dennis

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
larry
Jan 5, 2004
How are you saving it? Are you just calling it a TIF, or using Save As TIF? How are you trying to open it afterwards? Have you tried to Open As a PSD (or TIF) in Photoshop? If it’s not, Photoshop will convert upon opening.

Larry Berman
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 5, 2004
When I look at the file properties it is in file format not tiff

What does that mean? What is "file format"?
DK
Dennis_Kay
Jan 5, 2004
When I go to the file>save as type in file name. In the format box tiff is selected, Save options> layers checked. Tiff options> Image compression, none. Byte order IBM PC
Layer compression RLE. When I locate the saved file it will not open in ps. I check the file properties and it Type is File.
RW
Rene_Walling
Jan 5, 2004
Are you using the correct extention (.tif)?

Are there any "weird" characters in the file name (ie: &/%$#@!)

That could be the cause of the problem.

What is the exact error message you are getting?
MG
Marko_Garafulic
Jan 25, 2004
I have a similar problem. I’m running PS CS on a Windows XP Home machine and every now and then, when I try to save a jpeg file as a TIFF file (Save as… *.tiff), PS appears to save the file but when I search for it with the file browser, it doesn’t show up. I look for the file with Windows Explorer and find the file but it does not have a *.tiff extension.

Its happened a number of times now. I’ve found that changing the name of the file before saving it as a TIFF solves the problem sometimes. Anyway, its a very odd problem I hadn’t encountered with PS 7.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 25, 2004
When I locate the saved file it will not open in ps. I check the file properties and it Type is File

Usually that means that the file type (tiff) isn’t associated with any program. Right click on the file and choose Open With… find photoshop, or navigate to it, and associate it with Photoshop.exe.

See if that helps.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 25, 2004
CS? I think our regular Ho (Howard) is/was having this problem. Not sure if/how he fixed it. HOWARD! YOU OUT THERE?!!
MG
Marko_Garafulic
Jan 25, 2004
YrbkMgr,

I do attempt to open it with Photoshop and Photoshop gives me an error message indicating it cannot open that file type. Very odd. Again, it seems like changing the file name prevents this from happening.

Thanks,

Marko
H
Ho
Jan 25, 2004
I’m not sure if this is exactly the same problem I was having. Here are a couple of links to the discussions of this problem (and others) if you care to wade through them.

John Slate "Photoshop CS Saving JPEGS as Tiffs" 1/9/04 7:23pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Scott Falkner "Chris? Scott? Somebody?" 12/9/03 1:52pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 26, 2004
dennis, until something comes up, like a fix or confirmation, you can use the Open As command under the file menu, or rename the file manually to *.tif.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections