DC
Posted By
Daniel_C_Hawkins
Jan 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to fade my layer from opaque (or however close I choose) at the top, to near-transparent at the bottom. I’m not too familiar with all of Photoshops features, and have been trying to use gradients, but it uses solid colors and paints on top.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 2, 2004
There are usually three ways to do anything in photoshop. I like to use channel masks for what it appears you are describing. Click on the Channels palette and create a new channel (button at the bottom of the palette). The new channel should be white.

Next use a black and white gradient on the new channel. Black will block your image, white will allow it to show through. Ctrl Click the new channel in the channel palette to select it. Next, in the layers palette, click on the layer containing what you want to apply the transprency to. At the bottom of the layers palette, there’s a button called Layer Mask. Click it, and it will non-destructively apply that selection to your image effectively masking out what was black and allowing whatever is under the white to show through.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and it may not be what you want, but hopefully it’ll help some.

Peace,
Tony
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 2, 2004
Mathias Vejerslev "How to make a gradual opacity fade on a layer" 4/30/03 3:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
DC
Daniel_C_Hawkins
Jan 2, 2004
Thanks to both of you, that’s exactly what I needed.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 2, 2004
How long have I been participating in this forum and didn’t know that Mathais had done that FAQ? Sheesh. Ya learn something new every day I guess.

Peace,
Tony

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections