What is the luminosity blend mode, exactly?

F
Posted By
fersman4
Jan 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PSE3, and this is what I did. I have a color image and duplicate it. Between the two layers I create a new layer and fill it with 50% gray. Then I set the top layer (the copy) blend mode to "Luminosity". This produces a gray-scale version of the image.

Okay, now with the image copy layer (top layer) selected, I take my eyedropper tool and record a color in a fairly uniform
hue/saturation/brightness area as the foreground color. I then open up the foreground color picker and change the hue to something else, leaving the saturation and brightness the same. Next I paint the new color in a small area inside the uniform area.

Since I didn’t change the brightness or saturation of this area, I would expect that the luminosity (tone) would not have changed. But when I have all the layers visible, there is a distinct spot on my image where I painted where the gray-scale value is different. My very small understanding of color theory says that if you seperate the color from an image but keep the saturation and brightness, you will end up with a gray-scale image where pixels with the same saturation and brightness will have the same gray-scale value.

What gives?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Russell
Jan 15, 2005
wrote:
I have PSE3, and this is what I did. I have a color image and duplicate it. Between the two layers I create a new layer and fill it with 50% gray. Then I set the top layer (the copy) blend mode to "Luminosity". This produces a gray-scale version of the image.
Okay, now with the image copy layer (top layer) selected, I take my eyedropper tool and record a color in a fairly uniform
hue/saturation/brightness area as the foreground color. I then open up the foreground color picker and change the hue to something else, leaving the saturation and brightness the same. Next I paint the new color in a small area inside the uniform area.

Since I didn’t change the brightness or saturation of this area, I would expect that the luminosity (tone) would not have changed. But when I have all the layers visible, there is a distinct spot on my image where I painted where the gray-scale value is different. My very small understanding of color theory says that if you seperate the color from an image but keep the saturation and brightness, you will end up with a gray-scale image where pixels with the same saturation and brightness will have the same gray-scale value.

What gives?

Luminosity is a weighted sum of the RGB components, and is not the same as Brightness in HSB, which gives equal weight to each RGB component.

So, for example, pure blue and pure green will have an HSB Brightness value of 100, but their luminances will be different, so the two colors will have a different effect in a layer in luminance mode.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections